What's new

Doctor Who - Warning, Spoilers!

Major theories are either Ruth being from a different dimension/Universe, or a Clone from the time war.
Also heard Doctor Zero, or between 1 and 2 since the tardis is a police box. Both would require a memory wipe so that Doctors Ruth+n would not remember Ruth. I quite like the idea of a Clone from Time War, but not sure that explains Gat's presence. Different dimension might make more sense but seems lazier.

Saw a lot less angst over the rewriting of canon when Moffat introduced John Hurt as 8B.
I for one am quite excited at this development and ignoring (literally) the nattering nabobs of negativity. Some were prepared to hate Chibnall and/or Whittaker going in, and last season (though I quite liked it) gave them plenty of ammunition.

Saw a lot less angst over the rewriting of canon when Moffat introduced John Hurt as 8B.

My take on that is with Hurt, it was a story element. With Whittaker as the first female Doctor, it was a calculated, intentional social statement. It was more informed and inspired by a progressive social agenda than it was a natural and organic flow of the story line which proceeded it. I would suspect it's the same thing with Jo Martin but now they were able to check off yet another box. It's all water under the bridge at this point. Having said all that, I rather liked Jo Martin as the Doctor. Even from what little we've seen of her I think she made a stronger Doctor than Whittaker does.

I for one am quite excited at this development and ignoring (literally) the nattering nabobs of negativity. Some were prepared to hate Chibnall and/or Whittaker going in, and last season (though I quite liked it) gave them plenty of ammunition.

"Nattering nabobs of negativity"! That made me laugh! I haven't heard that Spiro Agnew term since reading Mad Magazine in my pre-teens. I would agree that Chibnall and/or Whittaker have given fans a lot of ammunition for negativity in their first season. In my opinion, they've dug themselves a hole from which they have yet to extricate themselves.

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Tesla was okay, we have to wait until tomorrow (Thursday) night for the Jadoon episode. It had better not disappoint, as they are quickly loosing me this year. Not interested in being preached to about the environment etc. I just want the pants scared off me like the days of old where I used to hide behind the door and peak out at the tv screen.

This was the best show of the current run. Cant wait to see how Doctor Ruth fits in. For the first time of JW's tenure in looking forward to next week.

tenor (26).gif
David Tennant married her! :laugh:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Yeah, it was better than some of the others. It will be interesting to see where we finish up at the end of this season.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
David Tennant married her! :laugh:

Not only that, she's Peter Davison's daughter. So, add another to the list. Those Time Lords are a wild bunch.

I did enjoy last night's episode. It'll never be a favorite, and I do wish they could be a bit smoother in delivering a message. It seems the writers lose all knowledge of literary devices when they get to that point.

Still, I enjoyed it.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Jo Martin's IMDb page shows credit for only one episode of Doctor Who

Don't take IMDb to heart on its own when it comes to episodes that haven't yet aired, especially with shows that don't like their plot twists revealed ahead of time.

Don't take IMDb to heart on its own when it comes to episodes that haven't yet aired, especially with shows that don't like their plot twists revealed ahead of time.

Well I hope you're right about that. An unknown mystery Doctor is a pretty big meatball to just leave hanging out there like that and I think there's only 4 more episodes.

Last edited:
And we are back to being a Captain Planet rerun.

Yes! Captain Planet! I had forgotten about that show. I used to watch it with my daughters. At least with that show you went into it expecting the message content so it never came off as a lecture. They really need to put a stake in Doctor Whoke. Sadly, the current show runners can't seem to help themselves. (Is it some kind of BBC mandate?) Sadder still, unless there are some unforeseen changes we're going to be stuck with at least one more season of the same. We need another re-boot with actual sci-fi writers and show runners with no agenda.

Last edited:
Message fiction has long infiltrated SF to the point that I seldom read it. The sad thing is if you concentrate on plot, you can have a message without message fiction, but that seems forgotten now. It sounds as though if the writers for Dr Who would deliver on the plot, they could still include their message while people still enjoyed the show.

That said, this bit is going through my mind:

"Who are you, sir?"

"Why, dear lady, I'm Professor Watt. These are my traveling companions, Mr. Wye and Miss Ida Noe."

"I see. And what is the dog's name?"

"Third Base."

Top Bottom