What's new

Doctor Who - Warning, Spoilers!

Very solid and enjoyable episode.
Great roles by Fry and Henry and the companions were not annoying.
Loved the background music.
Loved the reveal.
Looking forward to Sunday.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The reveal was great. I never saw it coming.

I agree. I didn't see that coming, either, but it also didn't just come out of the blue. That's tough to pull off, and they did a great job.

That really was a good episode. For the first time in a while, I'm encouraged. It seems they've found the balance.

Very solid and enjoyable episode.
Great roles by Fry and Henry and the companions were not annoying.
Loved the background music.
Loved the reveal.
Looking forward to Sunday.

Lenny Henry’s narration of the audio version of Neil Gaiman’s ‘Anansi Boys’ is a work of art.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Best episode since Heaven Sent. Or maybe World Enough and Time edges it.

I don't know if I can go that far, but it was a fantastic episode (pair of them, really). Chibnall seems to have dropped his agenda to turn Doctor Who into a big ol' group hug and get back to gripping storytelling. I also liked how the companions played a significant part but got back to being the audience's liason to the Doctor and her story, rather than taking the lead. For a while, there, we really had gone back to watching "The Companions Show (also starring The Doctor)."

Did you get a hint of this towards the climax?...

Most certainly! Being who I am, I also thought of Bill & Ted during certain parts. Of course, I've never thought it any sort of coincidence that Bill & Ted travelled in phone booth.

Did you get a hint of this towards the climax?...

I missed that one.

Frankly, I'm seeing so much convergence between new films/shows and stuff I've seen over the last couple of decades, I'm beginning to wonder where all of the inspiration is coming from. I could have sworn the most recent Star Wars was a Harry Potter mashup.

I am glad that we recently re-watched the 3 part David Tennant-Derek Jacobi/John Simm Harold Saxon story. My daughter picked up the 'ra-tat-tat-tat' reference immediately.

While the season opener 2 parter was great, Orphan 55 felt manic, disjointed and dull. Not as bad as the one with 10 stuck in traffic, but close.

Orphan 55 seemed like a bit of a toss-off episode which is concerning this early in the season. It was kind of like they met the requirement of fulfilling the need for an episode but didn't really have a solid idea or a compelling story. The humor was a bit forced and when it comes to the companions, I still think that three's a crowd. They always seem to pick up a few additional people wherever their adventure takes them so they end up with a whole entourage of people that need to be written for and given something to do.

Ep 1 and 2 were good but Orphan 55....well not as good but not the worse.
I hope this isn't the start of getting "preachy" again. Pushing the Woke agenda killed last season for me and was hoping that this season would steer away from it.

Ep 1 and 2 were good but Orphan 55....well not as good but not the worse.
I hope this isn't the start of getting "preachy" again. Pushing the Woke agenda killed last season for me and was hoping that this season would steer away from it.

The "woke" agenda was the major reason that killed last season for me as well. I don't think they've wielded the full-on hammer yet but I'm already seeing signs of preachy. I have a feeling that it's not going away.

Can't say how the Post McCoy episodes stack up (other than the one made for US TV), but will comment that while Dr. Who has aired episodes with message, it isn't necessarily the ones in the above list. Inferno predates fracking by decades, which means it's just a good ol' fashioned "There are things man was never meant to meddle with" yarn. The reference to the war in the Dalak's origin story (and the Dalaks themselves) is just a well established SF trope predating the atomic era. A couple that stands out in my mind didn't make the list (no, I won't mention them).

Oh dear lord, don't start that again....
It's always been that way

"It's always been that way." said the obviously pro-progressive author whose nonobjective article clearly signals his slanted bias.

"It's always been that way." until it wasn't.

"It's always been that way." until they blatantly started shoving their social agendas down our throats and preaching at us with all the subtlety of a sledge-hammer to the head.

"It's always been that way." until story lines started taking a back seat to and/or suffered at the expense of the show runners social justice agenda.

I don't know what shows you've been watching but it hasn't always been this way. People who share my opinion aren't just tilting at windmills and it's not a figment of our imaginations.

I can't say I was a fan of the episode. The scare factor was good, but the close up of the dripping fanged maw was a rip off of Alien. Episodes 1 & 2 were exquisitely well-crafted with great guest stars. Jodie taking on a bunch of the Matt Smith mannerisms with some Capaldi ego. I frankly would have expected her to align more closely with Eccleston given that they're both from the North.

Top Bottom