What's new

Doctor Who - Warning, Spoilers!

My problem is I rarely watch TV. I have been that way for so long that I have a hard time to committing to anything besides the NFL.

I was the same way for many years until my wife decided we'd buy a huge smart TV. Now I can watch shows years after the hype has died down, when it's convenient for me, and without commercials. If I am really feeling lazy and have nowhere to be, I can do what people call binge watching, and I am no longer having to remember what the heck happened last episode.

Hello, my name is Keith, and Six is my Doctor. I admit this freely. Before you begin throwing tomatoes, please allow me a moment to state that despite the horrific writing and production values, Colin Baker's performance is almost always uniformly good. Even in a real stinker like THE TWIN DILEMMA, Colin shines. Please witness VENGEANCE ON VAROS and ATTACK OF THE CYBERMEN. JNT and Eric Saward actually attempted a character arc with this Doctor, which sadly was cut short due to typical BBC shenanigans. (Damn you, Michael Grade!)

Ok, now I'll wrap myself in my multi-colored frock coat and dream of Nicola Bryant...

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Before Rose and Amy, my favorite companion was Ace. She blew things up

Hello, my name is Keith, and Six is my Doctor. I admit this freely. Before you begin throwing tomatoes, please allow me a moment to state that despite the horrific writing and production values, Colin Baker's performance is almost always uniformly good. Even in a real stinker like THE TWIN DILEMMA, Colin shines. Please witness VENGEANCE ON VAROS and ATTACK OF THE CYBERMEN. JNT and Eric Saward actually attempted a character arc with this Doctor, which sadly was cut short due to typical BBC shenanigans. (Damn you, Michael Grade!)

Ok, now I'll wrap myself in my multi-colored frock coat and dream of Nicola Bryant...

I liked 6. Too bad he got stuck in BBC politics. I preferred him to 7.

Enjoyed Tom Baker's Doctor when I was in college and came back on board with the reboot. I think a new showrunner would help things a lot, but I'm looking forward to the new Doctor.

When I first met my wife, she couldn't stop talking about Doctor Who, but she was only aware of the old episodes. I did a google search and saw the reboot, and that night I turned it on without telling her that they were airing new episodes. It was love at first sight (for me and my wife and me and the show).

For the new doctors, Eccleston really needed to stay on as the doctor for longer than he did. That season was so poor in production quality because BBC wanted to see if it would sink or swim. When he was on (such as his dialogue with the single Dalek in "Dalek"), his performance was jaw dropping. Tennant really set the standard for a doctor, both new series and old series. I know Tom Baker gets a lot of votes, but Tennant sells the role emotionally way more than Baker ever did. Some of the episodes got a bit hammy, but overall he was terrific. I was on the fence a long time on Matt Smith. I couldn't tell whether he was good or not. He was different. But after re-watching all his episodes, I started to notice the little things that he did that completed the character. Smith wasn't the best, but he was pretty damn good. Capaldi is a tremendous actor, so I can't wait to see what he brings to the table.

As far as the old doctors go, I thought Colin Baker shined. He was the first doctor to explore the negative side of the person. But one doctor that rarely gets mentioned is Paul McGann, primarily because he was only in one serial, and it was a made-for-tv movie that didn't go very far. He was quite good, and his audio stories were great as well. Leading up to the 50th anniversary they released a short on his regeneration into John Hurt. You can see glimpses of his brilliance as the doctor. I really wish he got a few seasons because I think he could have been the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another Whovian right here! :thumbup:

I first started watching with the Tom Baker era too. I was mightily pleased when I discovered it was coming back :lol:

I only ever started watching Doctor Who with the re-boot. I really liked the Eccleston Doctor a lot and was very disappointed when he decided to only stick around for one year. I wish whatever messiness was going on behind the scenes could have resolved itself so he saw fit to stick around longer. Has there ever been a definitive answer as to why he left? All I've heard is that he had some difficulties/disagreements with the people running the show but there were no real specifics given...

I heard a rumour that Eccelston had some sort of tantrum and said something along the lines of "Billie Piper leaves or I leave!". I've not really found any evidence to back that up; just a couple of articles where he talks about some sort of behind the scenes unpleasantness.....

I heard a rumour that Eccelston had some sort of tantrum and said something along the lines of "Billie Piper leaves or I leave!". I've not really found any evidence to back that up; just a couple of articles where he talks about some sort of behind the scenes unpleasantness.....

I found this bit coming from Eccleston himself during an acting masterclass at the London Theatre Royal.

When Christopher Eccleston left Doctor Who after just one series, the BBC released a statement saying the actor decided to leave because he feared he was being 'typecast'. But now the Salford-born actor has revealed the real reason he left the show – because he hated the ‘politics’ on set and suggested there was bullying by senior staff members. The actor, 47, made the telling remarks while he was giving an acting masterclass at London’s Theatre Royal on Wednesday.

He told the group: ‘I left Doctor Who because I could not get along with the senior people. I didn’t agree with the way things were being run.” He added: “I thought to remain, which would have made me a lot of money and given me huge visibility, the price I would have had to pay was to eat a lot of sh*t.’ ‘It’s easy to find a job when you’ve got no morals. You can go, ‘Yeah, yeah. That doesn’t matter. That director can bully that prop man and I won’t say anything about it’.’

The acclaimed actor, who has starred in films 28 Days Later and Gone in 60 seconds said he didn’t get on with the senior staff. He said: ‘I left because of politics. I did not see eye-to-eye with them. ‘I didn't agree with the way things were being run. ‘I didn't like the culture that had grown up around the series. So I left over a principle.’

When I first met my wife, she couldn't stop talking about Doctor Who, but she was only aware of the old episodes. I did a google search and saw the reboot, and that night I turned it on without telling her that they were airing new episodes. It was love at first sight (for me and my wife and me and the show).

For the new doctors, Eccleston really needed to stay on as the doctor for longer than he did. That season was so poor in production quality because BBC wanted to see if it would sink or swim. When he was on (such as his dialogue with the single Dalek in "Dalek"), his performance was jaw dropping. Tennant really set the standard for a doctor, both new series and old series. I know Tom Baker gets a lot of votes, but Tennant sells the role emotionally way more than Baker ever did. Some of the episodes got a bit hammy, but overall he was terrific. I was on the fence a long time on Matt Smith. I couldn't tell whether he was good or not. He was different. But after re-watching all his episodes, I started to notice the little things that he did that completed the character. Smith wasn't the best, but he was pretty damn good. Capaldi is a tremendous actor, so I can't wait to see what he brings to the table.

As far as the old doctors go, I thought Colin Baker shined. He was the first doctor to explore the negative side of the person. But one doctor that rarely gets mentioned is Paul McGann, primarily because he was only in one serial, and it was a made-for-tv movie that didn't go very far. He was quite good, and his audio stories were great as well. Leading up to the 50th anniversary they released a short on his regeneration into John Hurt. You can see glimpses of his brilliance as the doctor. I really wish he got a few seasons because I think he could have been the best.

I thought this was a marvelous short film. Absolutely perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom