What's new

DOC - do Double Open Combs work?

M

mtcn77

I've been using it primarily with Personna Israeli Reds. I've had similar results with Gillette Platinum blades, and I'm not sure that I've used any other blades in it.
Let me ask whether you shave riding the top cap or the guard bar, too. I shave by guard riding, it feels smoother.

Well report when my PAA stainless Ascension comes in. Very curious on smoothness, mild or aggression and efficiency. Wondering if the DOC adds anything other than esthetics. My current go to razors are the Fatip Gentile, Razorock gamechanger .68p (just got it and used it) thinking it replaced my .84p

Other razors in the Den.
Timeless Bronze SB .38
Parker 87r
Razorock Mamba 53
Fatip open comb grande

I think they are ok, if you like buying and trying razors....try one....the shave is good, average....just do not spend much money in them. RR and Yaqi have cheap versions. I think the only benefit is that they hold water in those teeth.....

Before I saw this thread today, I had ordered three razor heads last night from RazoRock/Italian Barber: the SLOC, the German 37 slant, and the RazoRock OLD Type, along with a bulldog handle.

So hopefully, I will be able to chime in with an opinion on the SLOC soon. I am looking forward to testing it.

Let me ask whether you shave riding the top cap or the guard bar, too. I shave by guard riding, it feels smoother.
I have been using double edge razors for most of my 55+ shaving years, and until I read about it in this forum I never gave any thought to shaving angle. The one time I concentrated on it, I cut myself pretty badly. For me, each razor has a "natural angle" and that is what I use.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Did this with mine...

AA

If you find a smoother blade than Shark with it, let me be in on it.
I have the Yaqi DOC as well. Paired with a Voskhod blade. Awesome! Very smooth and efficient.
The head is similar to the SLOC. It's self lubricating and it just gives an awesome shave.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I got the PAA DOC when it was all the rage way back when. I found it so mild that I could do 6 full passes and not get a remotely clean shave. And I was strictly a mild shaver back then. When the SLOC came out originally, it was reported to be more effective, so I bought one. I was not disappointed. It’s a much better shaver for me. Still mild, but unlike the DOC, it actually shaves the hairs off my face. Sold the DOC, kept the SLOC. Based in my experience with the DOC, I never got the confidence to try any of the other PAA variations, which are all more expensive. Does the gimmick work? I think it does. At the very least they are really cool looking razors.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I have been using double edge razors for most of my 55+ shaving years, and until I read about it in this forum I never gave any thought to shaving angle. The one time I concentrated on it, I cut myself pretty badly. For me, each razor has a "natural angle" and that is what I use.
Yuck! As far as the cut goes. If it ain’t broken don’t fix it comes to mind.😇

I don't know if the DOC designs "work" if that means improving lather distribution in a meaningful way. Remember all these 30s designs, AFAIK were meant to address the problem of brushless creams clogging which isn't much of an issue anymore 90 years on. That being said, I don't really care as the SLOC is a fine shaver and more importantly for me, the cap is swappable with myriad razor plates and oftentimes yields an improved shave over stock.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Before I saw this thread today, I had ordered three razor heads last night from RazoRock/Italian Barber: the SLOC, the German 37 slant, and the RazoRock OLD Type, along with a bulldog handle.

So hopefully, I will be able to chime in with an opinion on the SLOC soon. I am looking forward to testing it.
I used the SLOC Saturday on two days of stubble, and it worked great - so smooth that I didn't feel it cutting, but it gave me a BBS shave everywhere except for two small places on the cheeks, which sometimes happens to me with milder razors. I give the SLOC a thumbs up.

I'd say it's gimmick. It leaves trails of lather, but I'd still rather re-apply than make do with those lingering trails.

That said, I love both my Phoenix DOC razors. I have the stainless steel and the copper. I bought them more because they just look cool. I'll probably move on from them just because I have too many razors and don't seem to reach for these, but they're really nice and deceptively smooth despite their appearance.

When you think about the base plate bar passing over your skin and whiskers lubed by the soap the hair and skin are folded for a small moment then brought to the blade exposure. That base plate bar is continuous the entire length of the blade. The result is the hair is higher than the skin and it gets cut. The bigger the gap and blade exposure, the more aggressively the blade scrapes along the skin removing hair. Then the top cap comes along to hold the blade secure but it is much thinner and the angle allows it to glide on any remaining soap/water, but it too swipes the remaining away.

The single comb on the base plate breaks the continuous nature of the bar up so that some of the hair is not as folded as those that are pressed down by the tooth of the comb. The longer the hair is the more it seems to go in between the teeth of the comb. This allows the longer hairs to be cut closer to the skin compared to those that would be folded by a fraction. The the top cap operates the same as mentioned above.

The double open comb concept alters the continuous nature of the top cap leaving small trails of lube soap to remain albeit a fraction of what was there before the pass. This can provide a little more buffer for the cap to ride on.

If you look at barber hair clippers and their comb-like structure, it sheds some light on how a double open comb razor processes hair and how it can cut longer hair more effectively than a closed comb Gillette Tech can.

My 2c
20210517_075018.jpg

M

mtcn77

I'd say it's gimmick. It leaves trails of lather, but I'd still rather re-apply than make do with those lingering trails.
Hi, I always assume remaining lather indicated too concentrated lather. If you are not face lathering, you can maintain the consistency in the shaving bowl quite visually.

It is also is a requirement to prepare a wetter lather to attain BBS since lather cushions the blade away from the skin. It is a consideration, imo.

…. Back when they were invented, gentlemen were more apt to shave once per week (before church). Dealing with 7 days of growth is different than dealing with one or maybe two days growth. Open combs are a better solution to the clogging problem. That's just a theory though, and I've never gone long enough between shaves to even test it properly…

+1! Well stated, Sir!! :clap: :clap:

As a daily shaver OC is an answer to a problem that I don’t have. Blade exposure, rigidity, head geometry, weight, balance, etc. are all more important to my shave quality than OC vs CC. YMMV for sure!

Top Bottom