What's new

Do you wear shorts in the summer?

I wear them all the time in the summer. Never for work and never at a nice restaurant, etc. but otherwise all the time. I have several pairs of plaid shorts, some of the "critter shorts" with marlin or lobsters embroidered on them as you see at J.Crew or Brooks Brothers. I also have several pair of cargo shorts that see work in the yard or when I have nothing else, etc.

yes, I wear shorts in the summer. there's no way i'm replacing fashion for discomfort, especially when it's 90 degrees out with humidity. besides, I don't want to look like some pasty albino - I know less sun is better for your skin but i'm usually pretty careful about staying out of the sun when I have to. the only exceptions I make about not wearing shorts is if i'm out at a restaurant or some social function, otherwise, i'm putting on the cargo shorts

Pretty much standard attire all year here in Arizona. I prefer the cargo type and wear them with camp shirts or Hawaiian shirts. I do not wear them to work, but a lot of people can and do. I live in a casual state and like it.

For general knocking around during the Dallas summer, when it's as likely as not to be 100 degrees plus, shorts are a must. Not for work, not for a decent restaurant, certainly not for church, and maybe not even for a movie (they seem to keep the air conditioning set to about 68 in the theater). Otherwise, shorts are just about perfect.

Rules:
Shorts are ok between late april and mid september as long as the outside temperature is above 70F. Shorts are only ok after dusk if the outside temperature is above 80F and during the months of July and August.

Shorts are an acceptable part of formal attire as long as they are part of a morning suit (or short suit) and the event is to take place out side during the day during the months summer. For example I wore a 3 peice short suit with a tie to a good friends wedding last July and was not out of place.

Taste:
Shorts should fall between 4 and 8 inches above your knee. They should never have cargo pockets. If wearing shorts with a collared shirt the sleeves of the shirt should be rolled up at least once. Shorts should generally not be worn with suspenders or braces. Shorts should only be of linen or seersucker in the hight of summer. The silhouette of shorts is very important as they have a much smaller area to create it.

Those who embrace high fashion always end up looking stupid eventually.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I generally wear shorts in the spring/summer/fall unless it's less than 60 degrees or I need to be dressed up. I don't work in an office, and I am my own boss, so I set the dress code.

Pretty much standard attire all year here in Arizona. I prefer the cargo type and wear them with camp shirts or Hawaiian shirts. I do not wear them to work, but a lot of people can and do. I live in a casual state and like it.

Substitute Austin for AZ, and that's me.

Shorts and sandals are very popular even here in the upper latitudes of the USA. I never wear sandals and I only wear shorts in the gym.

Substitute San Diego, Calif. for Arizona and that is me as well. No shorts at work, but after work and on weekends, with an OCBD shirt, sleeves rolled and boat shoes or penny loafers. God Bless America.:001_smile

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
A dressier option to knee-length cargo shorts would be slightly shorter linen or cotton shorts (not really work-appropriate unless you are the kid down the street who mows my lawn but otherwise okay.)

Typical scenario on the extremely rare occasion that I have ever worn shorts:

Wife says, "It's going to be hot today. Why don't you wear those new shorts I bought for you?"

Heavy sigh... alright. Put shorts on and blistering hot sun burns the dickens out of my legs, SPF 30 didn't quite cut it. Bugs! Holy crap! I have quadrupled the the surface area to be attacked by bugs. Wind starts to blow softly and greatly annoys me as it disturbs the hair on my legs. Wind brings in cooler air. It's starting to get a little too cold for shorts, but we move to the bonfire. The radiant heat from the flames feels greaaaat against my now sunburned legs. Horseflies have gone to bed but now the mosquitoes are attacking, spray mosquito repellent on top of sunscreen. Finally I walk back to my cottage to put on long pants. I could have just put them on in the morning and saved all the hassle.

Shorts are like sandals, they look like regular clothing, but they leave you dangerously exposed.
You sound upset about this. Not "angry" per se, but ...

... shall we say ...

... short tempered? :001_rolle
Those who embrace high fashion always end up looking stupid eventually.

... and then The Sartorialist takes your picture.

I have always been involved in sport and in summer that means wearing shorts. Growing up in the heat of Australia, there was no option for kids. Even now I still wear shorts regularly during the dog days of summer

I never wear shorts!

I've got one leg pretty scarred up from ortho docs having at it four or five times because of a bad car accident. I love scars, and chicks dig 'em, but even that is not enough to make me wear shorts..

I guess it's a generational thing...

I own a great book called "Gentleman" -- it has since been reissued as Gentleman: A Timeless Guide to Fashion. The author's take is so pithy that I have committed it to memory:

To sum up, then, shorts: on the beach, on the pitch, and nowhere else.

(Pitch = athletic field)

In other words, I wear shorts only when the situation clearly calls for it, and never to work.

I wear shorts in the Summer when the temperatures get above 25c which only really happens for maybe three months of the year here in Canada. Never for work, dates, formal occasions and nights on the town.

Top Bottom