What's new

Do you wear polo with sport coat?

First thing that comes to mind with this is NO NO NO!

But I'm having issues. Part of my job requires me to go out to big box retail locations and audit everything they have, and I mean EVERYTHING. This includes going through the stock rooms, which are generally very very warm.

Therein lies the problem. How do I dress professional while allowing for optimal cooling? This last week I was just wearing a polo with jeans, and it was still warm. What can I wear to project a professional image while not passing out from heart when I'm in the field?

But I'm having issues. Part of my job requires me to go out to big box retail locations and audit everything they have, and I mean EVERYTHING. This includes going through the stock rooms, which are generally very very warm.

Therein lies the problem. How do I dress professional while allowing for optimal cooling? This last week I was just wearing a polo with jeans, and it was still warm. What can I wear to project a professional image while not passing out from heart when I'm in the field?

I do, depending on situation...Office parties, birthdays (with jeans sometimes...it's cool)...sometimes in the office (not usually with jeans). If I go casual to the office with jeans, then it's with no coat.

I guess it depends on mood and situation...you also have to weight your customer...if they feel and relate to you in a more casual way, then wear something that won't put them off...e.g., if you wear a suit to go see someone that works in "construction" (and gets dusty etc during work), they may feel a bit out of place relating to you.

Cheers,
Robert

jeans is a huge problem.

Denim is not a good material for heat.

Try fabrics that are lighter and breathe more.

Personally, no. Socially acceptable from my observations: Yes. Do whatever works for you. IMO, work attire should be functional above all else.
Ben

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Only if the polo is a golf shirt and the sport coat is being presented to you at a Masters event.

Only if the polo is a golf shirt and the sport coat is being presented to you at a Masters event.

+1 to what Phil said. Never do polo shirt + sport coat. It makes you look like you don't know how to properly dress. Here's my $.02 > Believe it or not, wool is a very breathable year-round fabric. Try a good quality woven 100% wool sport coat, pinpoint button-down 100% cotton shirt with open collar, and some light-gauge cotton twill or poplin trousers. This always looks good and professional without looking overly dressy. :thumbup1:

P.S. I live in the deep south. I've resolved myself a long time ago that you have
to sacrifice a little comfort/staying cool to look good and professional. However, good quality clothes with natural, breathable fabrics help with this. Go for quality, not quantity.

To respond, it depends. I have worn the look in the past, a polo shirt with a navy blazer and chinos. No problem, but then I was on the operations side of marketing agency. You could go short sleeve dress shirt but then the dork factor comes into play.

Another option could be a short sleeve madras shirt but again depends on your comfort level and your company's dress code. At the very least if you do go with a polo shirt nice chinos like say Brooks Brother's Clark flat fronts and you'll be fine.

Though thinking some more, which Big Box stores are you calling on? If it's the likes of Home Depot or Lowes, wear jeans and get over the professional image. Having called on Home Depot at the store level in my previous sales career, Home improvement warehouse stores are brutal on nice clothes.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Partly our answers will depend on what is expected of you in your industry/business, by your employer and customers.

If "jacket required" is the norm, then I'd say look into an unlined linen suit, and pair that with a linen shirt (white would be appropriate for business if the weather is hot.)

If you don't have to go that formal, then one thing I'd suggest is to 'up your game' in terms of the items you are wearing ... trading in your $59 made-in-china shoes for proper English-made dress shoes (check out Peal & Co. at Brooks Bros) and swapping your Dockers for wool dress pants (many wools are cool-wearing ... look for a loosely-woven lightweight fabric) will improve the appearance of your polo shirt, of course.

I'd try lightweight, tailored khakis and lightweight dress(y) shirts - collared shirts, either button-down or point collar. That can go fine with a sport coat and it will look OK without it as well. You can always roll up your sleeves if it gets too warm. You can even keep a tie in your car if you need to go somewhere where you need to go to a business environment where you need to be a little dressier.

I won't mix the two. I always wear a buttoned shirt with a coat. However, you might be able to get away with a short-sleeved buttoned shirt under the coat. I know that's frowned upon, but if you have the coat on the entire time, people might not notice that you don't have shirt collars. Also, you can get short-sleeved shirts in much lighter weights than a polo, which should help keep you cool.

Working for a young company I have seen many people wear the polo with sport coat and I have worn it on occasion myself. It looks good when worn properly and from what I can tell is very accepted.

It is not my favorite look. I much prefer a nice button up shirt(brooks brothers) with a pattern and no tie when I am going for the business casual look especially for an after office hour social event(happy hour).

im not keen on polo shirts anymore period. most guys wearing them these days are trying too hard to look like preppy golf pros.

Though thinking some more, which Big Box stores are you calling on? If it's the likes of Home Depot or Lowes, wear jeans and get over the professional image. Having called on Home Depot at the store level in my previous sales career, Home improvement warehouse stores are brutal on nice clothes.

It varies depending on the trip, and sometimes varies during the trip, too. Anything from Best Buy, Toys R Us, O'reilly's etc. I'd like to maintain a professional look, regardless of place, though.

Partly our answers will depend on what is expected of you in your industry/business, by your employer and customers.

If "jacket required" is the norm, then I'd say look into an unlined linen suit, and pair that with a linen shirt (white would be appropriate for business if the weather is hot.)

If you don't have to go that formal, then one thing I'd suggest is to 'up your game' in terms of the items you are wearing ... trading in your $59 made-in-china shoes for proper English-made dress shoes (check out Peal & Co. at Brooks Bros) and swapping your Dockers for wool dress pants (many wools are cool-wearing ... look for a loosely-woven lightweight fabric) will improve the appearance of your polo shirt, of course.

The norm in my office is hideous 10 yr old polo, jeans and sneakers. What they wear really has no bearing on what I want to wear. If heat wasn't a factor I'd wear casual business attire. Trousers, dress shirt, coat etc etc. I love brooks brothers.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The norm in my office is hideous 10 yr old polo, jeans and sneakers. What they wear really has no bearing on what I want to wear. If heat wasn't a factor I'd wear casual business attire. Trousers, dress shirt, coat etc etc. I love brooks brothers.

Yuck ... this sucks. :thumbdown

So long as your customers don't think you're odd (not as odd as showing up in a tuxedo, but you know ... ) I'd say go for it. A sportsjacket that is lightweight, unlined (or at least mostly unlined) and of a loose breathable fabric will really up your style without adding much insulation. But I'd go with a proper dress shirt rather than a polo.

Top Bottom