What's new

Do you wear both an After Shave and Cologne?

Sorry if this question has been asked before but do you wear a cologne on top of a scented after shave? Wouldn't having two scents detract from each other or cause a conflict?

I am thinking of picking up a bottle of Lucky Tiger but it has a pretty strong smell and it seems it would clash with anything I wore on top of it.

It all depends on the aftershave. It I have one that has a strong scent that will linger then generally I don't use a cologne. However, if the aftershave has a scent that will fade quickly, I will wait 15 minutes or so and then apply cologne. Another option is to have scents that compliment each other. My take on some are as follows:
1) Floris - nice aftershaves that go well with the matching colognes. Strong enough scents that I will generally just use by themselves or pair with the matching cologne.
2) Trumper - aftershaves seem to be the colognes that just have more water. I don't find the aftershaves to be especially great as an aftershave but they can be used as a lighter version of the colognes
3) Proraso - scents don't seem to linger on me so I will wear cologne
4) Mugso Real - just use the splash by itself as has lasting scent on me
5) Speick - aftershave is very nice and goes well with the cologne
6) Floid - just use the aftershave as scent has some staying power
7) Alt Innusbruck - just the aftershave . . .
8) Old Spice - just the aftershave or pair it with the matching cologne. Don't want anything to mess up the classic scent
9) Aqua Velva - depends. I don't find the scent to be one that lingers on me so I will pair it with a cologne at times.

I sure others can provide further info on different brands.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Pretty much what Chris said above. Also, if you are going to wear a cologne and you don't want any other scent to possibly interefere with it, you can also use Thayers After Shave w/h which will give you the nice "burn" of an aftershave splash and the healing properties of aloe and it is scentless.

The lawyer guy is right on the money. You will have to experiment to see what brands hold their scent for your body chemistry. For me, most AF's don't linger very long at all.

it depends on the A/S and Cologne. When you have a bunch of Aftershaves, balms and colognes, the permutations are nearly infinite, and every product has its own personality.

For example.

Nivea ASB is nearly universal, you can wear it with pretty much anything.

Yes, some aftershaves are too strong to warrant another cologne, such as Clubman (at least for me).

But with AV Ice Blue, I can wear many of my colognes, as the AV scent will fade after a few hours.

There is no one rule because very product wears differently.. you just have to experiment with what you have.

-Mason

I usually only use the after shaves the scent lasts on me all day. The only time I add a colonge is Old Spice if I use the Old Spice after shave.

Excellent advice all around

Personally, I tend to use Sandalwood AS as a base scent before I put on cologne. Mainly because most of my cologne's have a basenote of sandalwood, tonka bean or patchoulli anyway...so the sandalwood AS only compliments it.

Also, IMHO, T&H 1805 AS blam makes for a nice base for many colognes

When I want to use both AS and EDT, I go for Euphoria for Men by Calvin Klein (same scent)

proxy.php

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I usually use an unscented ASB, so there is no problem. When I do mix scents I always keep them separated, i.e. shot of cologne on chest and wrists but never on face.

Agree with Bob on the Thayers....I have tried the balms but just good on thayers leaves no scent where the cologne does its work....Bad shave day...oh yeah...pull out the balms!

This is a old but good thread. I wear cologne and wanted to know if any of the aftershaves I wanna purchase would class with them...

OP mentioned Lucky Tiger as an Aftershave. Imo this is an ideal product to use if you're going to use a cologne or EDT too. It goes on with a fairly strong orange scent, but it's gone within 10 mins. Has great skin soothing qualities too.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I mainly use spray colognes. I use usually use Emu Oil Lotion on my face after a shave and then spray a cologne on my chest after that. I normally only use balms after a particularly poor shave.

Top Bottom