What's new

Do you wash off alum?

I'm just curious, because I don't. It seems to leave a bit of powdery/salty film, but it goes away once I apply my post-shave Nivea Sensitive. Wondering what everyone else out there does.

most wash it off after a couple minutes, seems like what was the next big thing has started to decline, a lot of guy are skipping the Alum block and using witch hazel and or nivea + aftershave. guys were getting red irritated skin from the alum, i put mine away the last week and also feel my face is much better without it???

I rinse it off relatively quickly.

I use it less for the antiseptic astringent properties and more to judge the quality of my shave to help determine my post shave needs.

Eg the more burn the more soothing aftershave lotions and associated skin care.

I leave it on my face for 30 seconds or so while I wash out my brush or scuttle then wash it off.

I leave it on my face for 30 seconds or so while I wash out my brush or scuttle then wash it off.

^^^^ This is what I do.

And also pointed earlier I use it to judge the quality of my technique. I don't use it all the time, I use witch hazel.

I've always left it on without issue. I've never had any residue, but I do use Nivea balm after it dries. If I don't use alum my skin does not feel as good.

I wash it off after a minute or so. I only use it on the neck area. Not a big fan of the feeling it has after a little while when I don't wash it off.

I rinse it off after a few minutes...when you can feel it kind of tightening your skin. I've been using a block of it as a deodorant, too, and then like to splash a little Pinaud Clubman under the pits....dang good!

Last edited:
Used to use the Alum Blok after every shave. Recently I have given it up for the Hazel, and use the Alum to stop any nicks and weepers that the Hazel didn't get. What I really need is a styptic pencil, but considering I'm about to start a 3 month restraint it'll be a while.

Hot Rinse
Cold Rinse
Witch Hazel
Alum if Bleeders (rarely)
AS
Balm
Get to work late

After my shave I do the following:

Hot Water Rinse followed by a damp dry with a towel
Cold Water Rinse
Apply Alum
At this point I clean my brush, razor etc.
Cold Water Rinse followed by a damp dry with a towel
Apply AS
Apply Balm

I wash it off after a minute or two, then apply witch hazel or Sea breeze, then a slash of AS. No problems so far.

If I have to use Alum or Witch Hazel, I consider it a BAD shave. If I have to look to after products to make shave feel better, then the post shave feeling is not good from the shave soap.

Very rarely do I ever use Alum or a styptic pencil/WH as I get a great post shave feeling with 90% of the soaps I use. PdP is the best followed by Cella and the rest fall in suit behind BUT if I had to use Alum to determine post shave routine, I would consider it a bad shave.

Top Bottom