What's new

Do you use your razor’s stones on your knives?

Hey straight guys, do you use your straight honing equipment to sharpen your kitchen/pocket knives?

My wife took the kids and went to go see her mom for a couple of weeks, and the first thing I did was hone every kitchen knife I had with my Naniwa’s up to ten K, then stropped em up to .25mil diamond paste.

The things are stupid shiny lol! And crazy sharp. Each able to shave/pop hair off the arm. Total overkill, but I love it! I did take a chunk or two out of a couple of the stones though. I don’t feel bad, they are tools, but I don’t know if I should have done it.

Do you use your razor’s stones on your knives? Or are they exclusive?

Legion

Staff member
I have a large LPB natural combo coticule, and I will sometimes use the blue side on a knife. I only use the yellow side for razors, however, because I dont want to dish it quickly.

I don't, but there is really no reason not too. Most of the stones are marketed for knife and tool sharpening. The reason that I don't use them for my knives is that I have a collection of stones that I don't use for razors.

I do, but only the harder ones if I have to use the same side for both. Some hones I use one side for razors and one for knives. I have duplicates of a lot of grits too.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
All of my JNATs, Arkansas stones, and synthetics are general purpose stones that get used for razors, knives, tools, broadheads, etc. I have a few Coticules that I use for knives, but for the most part they are just for razors, same goes with the thuris/Eschers.

Which stones did you take a chunk out of?

Legion

Staff member
I used my razor progression on a Japanese knife once, just to see how it would work. I messed up the video of me shave testing the knife (it worked), but this is the tomato edge test I did after.

Yes but only stones up to 3K or medium ark. I see no need to take edges to higher grit stones. Anything above 1k is for show. I have an double sided unmarked grit Japanese synthetic stone that I estimate 600/1000 grit that I use most of the time. I cooked professionally for many years. There is diminishing return on higher grit sharpening, usually shortened edge retention.

Yes.

DMT D8C, Shapton Pro 1.5K & 5K I use as multipurpose stones.

I keep my Japanese finisher for razor use, have finished my carbon gyuto on it once just cause.

I used my razor progression on a Japanese knife once, just to see how it would work. I messed up the video of me shave testing the knife (it worked), but this is the tomato edge test I did after.

I love it!

I was shocked at my edges when I went with my razor progression. I need to take videos! But right now I’m on a Arkansas kick! I’m loving what my rocks are doing to my kitchen knives.

Top Bottom