What's new

Do you use the barber's pinch technique, and if so, where and how?

Two videos that train barbers to perform a shave with a straight razor, by different teachers, demonstrate a "pinch" technique:

At 9:35 in watch?v=tinqoTbMvOc&t=575 -- pinch is of facial skin, away from and on either side of the tips of the lips

At 11:25 in watch?v=2W_IqXc9ni0&t=685 -- note that the pinch is (not the closing of the nostrils by pinching the walls of the nose but) of the facial skin on either side of the nose

Question: During your own shave with a straight razor, do you use the pinch technique, and if so, in which places and how exactly do you pinch yourself while controlling the straight with the other hand?

Nope. I go in just below the nostril at a 90 degree angle and swipe down. Might suck my lip in to tighten the skin.
But then again, I also don't stretch my skin except under the neck near the jaw to get inside that divot, so YMMV

No pinch for me either. Approach at a 90 degree angle and sweep down for WTG. Blade vertical with a very shallow approach angle from the ear while stretching back toward my ear for XTG. I don't do an ATG pass on my upper lip.

Two videos that train barbers to perform a shave with a straight razor, by different teachers, demonstrate a "pinch" technique:

Question: During your own shave with a straight razor, do you use the pinch technique, and if so, in which places and how exactly do you pinch yourself while controlling the straight with the other hand?
Dude, put that link in properly!

Here ya go @ 575

And @ 685

Dude, put that link in properly!

As per the Forum's "Terms of Usage" links that go outside badgerandblade.com are not allowed; there are moderators who spend time searching posts for such links and delete "them" -- sometimes delete the entire thread, somethimes delete the post, sometimes delete just the link.

And @ 685

You have linked to the incorrect video (the original post is referencing two different videos):

Two videos ... , by different teachers, demonstrate ...

Last edited:

These videos are for how to shave someone else.

Also, my landlord has carpeting on the stairs
so I almost never take my motorcycle up to the bathroom.

OK, here's that other link then:

No one deletes YT video links, unless they are product demo. These are clearly not, as they demonstrate technique. Nothing against the T&C in these videos.

I've been posting YT links to all sort of shaving videos since my day 1 and never had a single comment deleted, let alone an entire thread.

I've been posting YT links to all sort of shaving videos since my day 1 and never had a single comment deleted, let alone an entire thread.

You have been lucky. Different moderators have different interpretations of the TOU. Around the time I joined B&B, there was some very zealous moderator who kept deleting stuff -- perhaps he has now lost his zeal or figured out more productive ways to occupy himself.

Top Bottom