What's new

Do you use oil (any oil) as part of your shave routine ?

Hi everyone.

I'm just curious to know if folks on here use any type of oil in their shave routine ? Whether it's pre shave, during shave, post shave, whether it's "proper" shaving oil or Bio Oil, olive oil etc.

Thanks in advance.

I make my own oil..a lot of different oils plus glycerin goes into it. I use it typically for clean up passes and as a post shave balm following witch hazel. I'm a head shaver and find it particularly helpful getting the closest shave and keeping the dome happy.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I use preshave once a week because I like the certain scent it has (AOS Sandalwood) but it’s not necessary for my shave and I don’t use any oils at all otherwise the rest of the week for my other shaves.

I tried but it just made things messier. Once you spread that oil opening items and using your hardware goes up on the difficulty scale.

Sent from my Samsung S8+

I used to use pre-shave oils, and stared making my own. My shaves were going great and then one day I was getting some really bad shaves. I stopped using pre-shave oils and all is well.

I have never used any oil as a pre-shave, but I do find that washing my face with a glycerine soap before shaving seems to improve the experience.

Pre-shave oil. I think it’s more out of habit at this point because I’ve begun to ponder why I only apply it before the first pass and not subsequent passes. I have no plans to apply more for 2 more passes. But eliminating it entirely is a possibility for me to try.

After washing my face I rub a few drops of T & H pre-shave oil into my beard before lathering. I believe it helps shave quality.

Ron

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I use my homemade shave oil. After a hot shower where I wash off my early morning Noxzema application with olive oil soap, I rinse my face and neck with cold water, and then apply 12 drops of the oil. I rub it in well.

It soaks in while I dry off, apply deodorant, hair goop, etc.

The oil is not to improve my shave or make it slick. The oil is to keep water within my skin, to help my skin stay hydrated.

Shaving oil is entirely optional and very individual.

Happy shaves,

Jim

When I switch to wet shaving a few years ago, I bought some shave oil and used it as pre-shave oil for a base layer I thought necessary to protect the skin from the sharp blade and prevent cuts.

I realized the main reason for minor cuts was my lack of technique, not only from handling the DE but also too dry lather not providing enough glide. As my technique improved I noticed the shave oil did not bring any advantage and I left it out.

Top Bottom