What's new

Do you use Kamisori, Western Straights or both?

Western straights for me. I’m scared of falling down another rabbit hole so I’m going to leave the Kamisoris alone.

I've been using my DE's lately but I have a few antique Kamisori and fewer western straights.

I very much prefer the Kamisori because they allow for incredible shaves.

But the blade is smaller so western straights are faster.

But the single-minded determination of a Kamisori is pretty awe inspiring.

Kamisori are also much easier to hone and maintain.

By the way, years ago vintage Kamisori were very expensive and usually needed to be shipped from Japan. Lately I've noticed auction sites loaded with cheap very nice looking vintage Kamisori. Shipped from the USA. The market looks flooded with them. You'd be getting one that presumably needs a bevel reset but I'd say the price makes it worth the risk. Bevel setting them can be tricky but letting a hone meister do it for you if you don't think you're able should mean minor touch ups for the foreseeable future.

I use both Western straights and traditional kamisori and enjoy shaving with both types. I find that a kamisori allows for a greater variety of ways to grip/hold; I prefer using a kamisori with a raw metal handle (without any binding...beneath which rusting may quietly proceed, although I do have a vintage Iwasaki tamahagane which came with a heat-shrunk plastic/rubber faux rattan pattern cover) as this makes maintenance (drying, oiling, etc) far easier. I use a mini bulldog clip near the end of the handle as a method to store a kamisori resting on the end of the spine at the other end with the blade edge pointing upwards.

I have some of both, Kamisori is a genius design. I don’t feel irritation when I stick Omate flat on the skin, but Ura is really good on curved skin surfaces. I feel free and comfortable without the restraints of scales, and I do love Kamisori more than the western straight.

I have been using with much satisfaction for the last ten plus years a Feather AC RG razor with ProGuard blades. The closest shaving experience I've ever had. Have shaved with Straights, very nice! But for me, the Feather does everything in a nice and simple manner.

I have both. I was so fortunate to inherit two kamisori from my Uncle who passed far too young. He lived in Japan and was a researcher on Tokugawa era politics. Both razors are works of art. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to put the effort in to shave with them every day, but hate to get rid of them. I just purchased a Kai Captain Excelia J-type which will likely be my daily shaver along with my trusted Feather AC DX Special Teak.

Top Bottom