What's new

Do you use Kamisori, Western Straights or both?

Just interested in the topic because I had several western straight razors and never really bonded with them. Kamisori, on the other hand, are my favorites, and I like everything about them- shape, tradition, shave, so on and so forth. I know it's a personal preference, but I'd be interested to hear from others about their preferences.

Usually western style, occasionally a kamisori.

I find the hold with the scales ona western kamisori easier for me, of course that is just because it is what I am used to them.

I enjoy a couple western style Japanese straights and one regular kami. I don't use the kami too frequently, but I do enjoy it when I do.

I have one kamisori, a really nice old Yamamasa. I was using it a lot till the edge dropped off. I need to address it. I wouldn't say it is better or worse, just different. The feel of the steel is quite unique as well. It was kind of crazy how a blade the size of a lollipop just monstered through everything like a squeegee.

Western. But I have a kami waiting on restore work. It was in a box with a katana I got from a yard sale. I had no clue what it was until I got a straight razor for Christmas and started looking for honing and shaving information.

I suppose I can call it a kamisori, it is the Feather Artist club

It does not have scales, so the hold is kamisori. But it has a symetrically ground edge, so it's not really like the traditional single edge kamisori.

I would like to try a trad kamisori one day.

I use my western straights generally. I have a kamisori, and find that without scales the kamisori will rotate a bit sometimes while shaving throwing the angle off and sometimes resulting in a cut. However, most winters I grow a beard, and use the kamisori exclusively then to trim and keep the edges clean. But, I only shave about once or twice a week when I wear a beard.

Top Bottom