What's new

Do you use hot towels for pre shave?

I have never done the hot towel treatment. Not sure why really, I guess I just never have. I always take pipping hot showers prior to shaving so I figure I didn't need them.

How many of you use hot towels for pre shave?
If you use hot towels, any specific kind / brand you like best?
What method do you use to you get them hot?

I also take a hot shower before shaving and thought hot towels would be redundant prep...until I tried "kyle's prep" (search to find the thread on here). now, for convenience and time, I bring a loaded brush into the shower, first wash my hair, face, then lather up. I leave the lather on while I finish my shower and at the end, I soak the washcloth with hot water and hold it to my beard for a minute or two, then rinse with hot water. I think it is an improvement over simply showering.

I do about half of the time, when I really want to enjoy the shave.

No particular brand; just a hand-towel, usually. I just soak the towel in hot tap water for a few seconds. Apply to face for 1-2 minutes, lather face, strop razor, re-lather face, and shave.

I use one, but ... Brand ???

It's a towel. Hand-towel size, I guess. :wink:

I shower after I shave, so after applying a first light lather with the brush I place the towel under hot running water, wring a little out, then hold it to my face.

Post-shave I use a different hand-towel (if I'm not stepping right into the shower). This one is the same sized (and probably make) hand-towel, but it is a very dark color that I don't have to worry about cleaning blood stains out of.

Thx guys. Brand, i dunno - maybe some sort of old school barber towel. Knowing everyone here, I almost expected something different. :biggrin:

i use a towel i trophied from a hotel is france, its so damn thick!

and yeah, hot towel every day.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I use a regular hand towel on weekends.

I do about half of the time, when I really want to enjoy the shave.

I soak the towel, lather, re-lather, shave. But only every once in a while.

I'm going to microwave it next time though, because my water gets pretty hot, but I bet I get I can get it steaming in the microwave!

I also take a hot shower before shaving and thought hot towels would be redundant prep...until I tried "kyle's prep" (search to find the thread on here). now, for convenience and time, I bring a loaded brush into the shower, first wash my hair, face, then lather up. I leave the lather on while I finish my shower and at the end, I soak the washcloth with hot water and hold it to my beard for a minute or two, then rinse with hot water. I think it is an improvement over simply showering.

+1 Get the water hotter in the shower, wet the towel and on your face it goes. It's better than a steamy hot shower with no towel.

Before showering I fill the sink with hot water and soak my brush and towel in there. After showering I build my lather, apply it to my face and then I apply the hot towel.

I used to do the hot towel thing in the first months of my daily DE shaving career, and with good results, however I now just soap and/or shampoo my beard in the shower before shaving with just as good results.

No towel. Immediately after exiting the shower, I apply shaving cream to my beard, I let it set there for 2-3 minutes, then face lather soap over the cream.

Works well for me...

Nope. Tried it a few times, but didn't notice much difference.

After I lather up, whether with a cream or a soap, I leave the lather on for two minutes before starting the shave. That's what King Gillette recommended way back in the day, and it still works!:cool:

Top Bottom