What's new

Do you use aftershave?

I use aftershave because it makes my skin feel refreshed after the shave. Some of my favorites for that refresh feeling are, Speick, Arko Cool, and Fine American Blend.

A 6 ounce bottle only lasted you a little over 2 months? I had a large bottle that lasted about 6 years, maybe 3 considering others were in rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol

I use it a lot, sometimes as a cologne too when I get off of work. I have an atomizer that I sometimes carry to work. guess I kinda like it.

hence my excitement with finding the 12 oz!

camo

I always use aftershave. I like the different scents and that alcohol burn or the cooling sensation from the ones that have menthol.

I like pinaud clubman, proraso green, skin bracer, aqua velva ice blue and several others.

I use most of the time only an after-shave balm (cream with some alcohol) and the few other shaves only an after-shave lotion. For using both I am sure there are loads of facial cream out there without much scent.

Never use pre-shave, and almost never balm. Only use it if I get a very rough shave, which thankfully is very rare. I do use aftershave every shave.
The balm I use is Afta or Aqua Velva balm.

No shave is complete without the application of some kind of aftershave product.

If you apply multiple products, I don't believe it makes a difference which one is applied first. It's a personal preference that is subjective. Experiment and draw your own conclusions.

I use an aftershave splash after every shave. I used to use “balms” like the Chatillon Lux Salves and others, but have determined I prefer an alcohol-based splash. Most create no face feel (i.e., they dry on my face within seconds, leaving varying degrees of scent). Today, for example, I used St. John Lime aftershave, and ten minutes after applying I would not have known I’d applied aftershave unless I’d been there. (My memory is not that great these days, but I can still do ten minutes.)

The two exceptions among my very large alcohol splash collection are Chatillon Lux and Maol Grooming. CL leaves a bit of balm-like feel on my face, accompanied by a tremendous scent. I believe I’ve got all of the CL scents but two or three, and they all are truly exceptional.

The other exception is Maol Grooming which, though alcohol-based, truly feels like a balm on my face. The scents are intriguing, though a bit less sophisticated than CL in my opinion, but my sniffer is not at its best at my age. The face feel of Maol in the winter is amazing—I still can’t believe its predominant ingredient is alcohol.

I don’t use any aftershave product anymore except alcohol-based aftershave. And these are the two best in my den.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I use both pre-shave and post-shave products most of the time.

I always wear Aftershave and/or Cologne.

Before the shave:

Prep: Wash face with Noxzema or Neutrogena.
Pre-shave: Usually Cremo or Proraso. CVS Bath Oil also works well.

After the shave:

Post-shave: Alum then Witch Hazel.
Aftershave Balm: CeraVe Cream, Thayer's w/Aloe, Duke's w/Menthol or a balm specific to the Aftershave/Cologne I'll be wearing.
Aftershave and/or Cologne: Wide selection (too many combinations to list).

i like to keep my skin moisturized and protected. :)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
do a search on this. ( I search a lot)

by suggestion 6 drops of glycerin per ounce of AS. this is just a guideline. I bought the glycerin at meijers in drug section.

possible benefits added moisturizer, face feel, possible scent retention acting as a "carrier" as opposed to the alcohol being the vehicle.

experiment to your liking I say!

camo

Can always decant an ounce and try 1-3 drops, work up ... Don't want to overload the bottle. I use maybe 6-10 for a whole Pinaud's bottle. Don't like tacky.

Glycerin does make scent last, I believe; great side benefit to the moisturizer.

AA

Most days I use an alcohol-based splash. If I have had a ‘rough’ shave then I go with Lucky Tiger (no alcohol). Depending on the weather and my skin, I may then apply a moisturizer. Works for me!! :thumbup:

Can always decant an ounce and try 1-3 drops, work up ... Don't want to overload the bottle. I use maybe 6-10 for a whole Pinaud's bottle. Don't like tacky.

Glycerin does make scent last, I believe; great side benefit to the moisturizer.

AA

thats the great thing about it. experiment to suit one's own taste. I started conservatively. I've found the 6 per ounce ratio good for me. right on the edge of becoming sticky/tacky but not there yet. either way no where near as tacky as proraso red (which I like and am wearing today.)

camo

camo

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I use an aftershave splash after every shave. I used to use “balms” like the Chatillon Lux Salves and others, but have determined I prefer an alcohol-based splash. Most create no face feel (i.e., they dry on my face within seconds, leaving varying degrees of scent). Today, for example, I used St. John Lime aftershave, and ten minutes after applying I would not have known I’d applied aftershave unless I’d been there. (My memory is not that great these days, but I can still do ten minutes.)

The two exceptions among my very large alcohol splash collection are Chatillon Lux and Maol Grooming. CL leaves a bit of balm-like feel on my face, accompanied by a tremendous scent. I believe I’ve got all of the CL scents but two or three, and they all are truly exceptional.

The other exception is Maol Grooming which, though alcohol-based, truly feels like a balm on my face. The scents are intriguing, though a bit less sophisticated than CL in my opinion, but my sniffer is not at its best at my age. The face feel of Maol in the winter is amazing—I still can’t believe its predominant ingredient is alcohol.

I don’t use any aftershave product anymore except alcohol-based aftershave. And these are the two best in my den.
this pretty sums up my situation. I need the alcohol based splash with menthol. in addition to CL (88th is my favorite) I like gingers garden on occasion as well as tallow +_ steel.... this is my favorite low alcohol based aftershave but it has some and enough to allow the addition of menthol to enhance the face feel boost.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Glycerin has several benefits. It's a humectant, meaning it attracts moisture and helps prevent your skin from drying out. It also has healing properties to help with dryness, itchiness, or inflammation. I
just a couple of drops makes a huge difference say for example in the osage rub.

Always. Alcohol based exclusively, hard to find a good balm for my face.
I don't know if you have tried the LEA Sensitive Balm 3-in-1. It is an unusual balm in that it contains alcohol and menthol. On a wet face, it is more like a cream aftershave than a balm. Refreshing, and just sinks in without any oily feeling.
Lea_Aftershave_Balm_1.jpg

I follow every shave with a cool water rinse, then Stirling Unscented Witch Hazel. I choose between no menthol/menthol added depending if there is menthol already in the after shave I’ll be using. While the Witch Hazel is doing its thing, I’ll clean up my razor!brush and bowl. Finally, an after shave of some kind. Usually Chiseled Face Natural if I’m going to work, something scented if I’m off.

Top Bottom