What's new

Do you use aftershave?

I remember back in the day using aftershave always led to that stinging feeling on a freshly shaved face. Then a lot of people said aftershave was bad for the skin as it dried it out.

Lately however more and more people have added it back into their regime.

So today I tried it and yes the stinging sensation was there but it wasn’t that bad a feeling. The only issue is that I want to use a balm over it but the balm has its own smell which will contradict the aftershave aroma.

For those that use aftershave do you buy a balm which has no fragrance to it?

I currently use Barts Balms which I have to say are exceptional and smell fantastic too. Therein lies the dilemma.

Thanks for any input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Proraso aftershave balm for sensitive skin. My skin is not sensitive ,but it rubs in nicely without a tacky residue on my hands.

I have used aftershave all my adult life and for the first 38 years or so, never used anything but Aqua Velva. I don’t think it had an adverse affect.

I use Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm (has little to no scent) then the Aftershave. Nivea also makes one that’s unscented.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
For me no shave is complete without the burn and I am disappointed if I do not experience it. Far from not being a bad feeling, it is a positively good feeling, it wakes me up and gets me started for the day. I love the burn! I may use Thayers witch hazel, or a basic inexpensive skin cream to which I have added some menthol, followed by either after shave or EDT. After shave, as opposed to EDT or EDC, does not have a long lasting scent anyway, if I have used that then I usually apply more later, or some EDT. My absolute favourite is vintage Faberge Brut and that tends to totally overpower any other scent anyway.

Absolutely always use a quality aftershave! Yes, there is the slightest bit of an initial sting, but more than that, there is a soothing, tightening, calming, and refreshing that, to me, is an essential and lasting part of the overall shave experience!

Last edited:
I remember back in the day using aftershave always led to that stinging feeling on a freshly shaved face. Then a lot of people said aftershave was bad for the skin as it dried it out.

Lately however more and more people have added it back into their regime.

So today I tried it and yes the stinging sensation was there but it wasn’t that bad a feeling. The only issue is that I want to use a balm over it but the balm has its own smell which will contradict the aftershave aroma.

For those that use aftershave do you buy a balm which has no fragrance to it?

I currently use Barts Balms which I have to say are exceptional and smell fantastic too. Therein lies the dilemma.

Thanks for any input

I use Nivea or other low scent balms before an after shave splash and find that the splashes usually dominate and linger which I like. Since you like the Barts performance why not look for a splash or after shave that compliments the Barts.

Sometimes I use a scented or cologne-based aftershave. Most times I use Stirling Soap's unscented aftershave with added menthol. And for those rare times I need a balm, I use Stirling's unscented balm (again with menthol). Yes, I like menthol. But Stirling has plain unscented aftershave and balms too.

Thanks for the replies folks. Many of you seem to use a balm first and then aftershave which is interesting as I thought it was meant to be the other way round. I will give this a try next time and also buy some unscented balm. Thanks

I use Proraso aftershave balm for sensitive skin. My skin is not sensitive ,but it rubs in nicely without a tacky residue on my hands.

I have used aftershave all my adult life and for the first 38 years or so, never used anything but Aqua Velva. I don’t think it had an adverse affect.

Do you use the aftershave first and then the balm
Or vice versa?

I don't usually, but recently received a bottle of Captain's Noreaster. It leaves my face feeling rather refreshed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

WitchHazel+alcohol+salicilic acid+caffeine+menthol, then some aftershave, then a liquid AS balm, and finally later a thicker cream.... and if I do not follow all these steps....skin will hurt.

CLUBMAN

I just finished up my first 6oz bottle that I purchased in Sept.

the night i bought it.......i recoiled in horror from the smell. i thought i should be looking for velvet elvis pictures or lighted string art from the 70's.

now in love with it......it changes smell when applied to the person and even morphs different smells throught the day.

at the advice of brother here.....I add some glycerin to it.

20191215_152142.jpg

this weekend I found a large bottle at a beauty supply that was cheaper than the 6oz bottle at a box store.

the wife likes it too!

camo

CLUBMAN

the night i bought it.......i recoiled in horror from the smell. i thought i should be looking for velvet elvis pictures or lighted string art from the 70's.

now in love with it......it changes smell when applied to the person and even morphs different smells throught the day.

View attachment 1043945

this weekend I found a large bottle at a beauty supply that was cheaper than the 6oz bottle at a box store.

the wife likes it too!

camo

How much Glycerin do you add per bottle? Is it Veg. glycerin you add?
Thanks

CLUBMAN

View attachment 1043945

the wife likes it too!

camo
I’ve read of people adding menthol but what’s the benefit of glycerin

Do you use the aftershave first and then the balm
Or vice versa?

I use the balm first. That way the scent of the aftershave isn’t covered up. I suppose it protects the skin from the AS, though in all the years of using only AS, I font have any reason to believe it hurts my skin.

do a search on this. ( I search a lot)

by suggestion 6 drops of glycerin per ounce of AS. this is just a guideline. I bought the glycerin at meijers in drug section.

possible benefits added moisturizer, face feel, possible scent retention acting as a "carrier" as opposed to the alcohol being the vehicle.

experiment to your liking I say!

camo

CLUBMAN

View attachment 1043945

the wife likes it too!

camo

A 6 ounce bottle only lasted you a little over 2 months? I had a large bottle that lasted about 6 years, maybe 3 considering others were in rotation.

Top Bottom