What's new

Do You Use Aftershave After Ever Shave?

Add a couple tiny chunks of an alum block into this concoction and it's truly golden.
Interesting. Given my general clumsiness I definitely have pieces of alum bar lying around, too.

What is the thinking on this? I use an alum bar without thinking about it much. I suppose I found it seemed to really helped with ingrown hairs when I got into wet shaving. But sort of hard to tell given all the other changes I was making at the same time. I have heard it helps adjust the skin back to a more natural ph, besides antiseptic properties. I would not want to leave the heavy coat of alum on my face after using an alum bar. What do small amounts of alum in an aftershave do for the concoction? Thanks!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Two things:

1. I don't have any aftershave in the house, but I do use WH after each shave (no alcohol w/aloe).

2. You guys who "love the burn" scare me quite a bit. I'm not sure if I fear for your safety or mine. :c1:

Alcohol based splash A/S - ALWAYS! I like the burning sensation + it disinfects.

Sometimes, if I feel my skin dry, I'd massage a bit of A/S balm as well, but not always.

I always use something. Sometimes it's an alcohol-based splash, sometimes Thayers WH toner, sometimes a balm or something like Lucky Tiger. It depends on how my shave went and also what fragrance I plan to wear, if any.

Technically, just rinsing your face with water is an aftershave.
Seriously though, there were long stetches of times when I didnt, but sometimes spraying on cologne on my lower neck or chest.
When I shaved before showering I often did not. I took a several year break recently from aftershave. But for the last 6 months or so every day. I like to shave and enjoy the scent just for me even if I am staying home. Plus I like the feel of it on my face, and you never know who might drop by to make a visit. And if you are married, dont you want to smell nice for your wife?

I pretty much apply something after every shave - in the winter, usually some witch hazel and then a balm, in the summer months, a nice alcohol based A/S. Lately, in the summer heat, I have been using one of the following: Krampert's Frostbite - a nice menthol blast with a frankincense dry down, Trumper's West Indian Extract of Limes - purest lime with a nice alcohol burn (now unobtaniun, so I am lucky I bought a big bottle a few years back), Sterling Lemon Chill, Razorock Irish Countryside, and on very special occasions, SV Felice Aromatica. I have lots of others in my collection but these are the ones I have been using lately.

I always use something that smell nice. Sometimes that is aftershave. Sometimes it is a cologne. Sometimes a body spray. It isn't necessarily an aftershave.

I always do. I have very sensitive skin and struggle with razor burn so I have generally used a sensitive skin balm post shave. Today I tried Lucky Tiger for the first time.

I always do except for when I am at the cottage.

Lots of bugs in the woods and they seem to love colognes/aftershaves.

I will use Unscented Thayer’s Witch Hazel though...

Top Bottom