What's new

Do you use a full sink of water, or just rinse?

I keep the water running on low and rinse my razor after each pass.

Dipping your gear into a pool of water in a sink never seemed very "clean" to me

Ya, I know its "my" sink... but still, kinda gross

Better to study how soap works.
Chemistry is science, not perception.

No thanks.

If a sink is used for hand washing and is spit in, there is no way I'm dipping a razor or brush in it that same sink as these tools are used my mouth.

It's pretty debatable that shaving soap is somehow going to disinfect germs in a sink. Or maybe you're talking about some other "Chemistry is science" that I'm unaware of... (it's hard to tell)

i rinse the my straights.. i closed the stopper and saw that the rinse was close to 2/3s of the sink after i was done, but then I had to clean more of the sink than if i let it drain.. :(

Before i shower i put enough hot water in the sink to top my mug with brush to warm them. I leave that water in the sink while shaving or what's left that hasn't seeped out yet and rinse my razor in that as i go along. Rinse the lather from my face after the final pass with fresh running water. At the end of it all, a quick scrub around with a nylon brush and rinse takes care of any soap residue in the stainless steel sink.
dave

I use a sponge with my SR. With my SE, I'll rinse under the tap 2-3 times a pass. Cleaning out the brush afterwards flushes plenty of water down the sink.

My water-use process:
  1. fill sink up to overflow drain with water from hot water tap
  2. toss in silicone pad, lather bowl, razor, brush, and (sometimes) tub of Proraso with the cap on. This is to warm up the sink and gear.
  3. have shower
  4. drain sink
  5. refill sink with fresh hot water
  6. make lather in bowl and float it in the sink with the brush (voila - a giant scuttle)
  7. occasionally rinse the razor in the sink of water.
  8. rinse lather off face by the bathtub with hand-held shower sprayer
  9. apply alum
  10. drain sink
  11. squeeze extra lather out of brush and use it to wipe scum off sides of sink and outside of lather bowl
  12. rinse bowl and sink with fresh warm running water
  13. rinse alum off my face by the tub with hand-held shower sprayer
  14. rinse out brush with fresh warm running water
  15. rinse blade with fresh warm running water and towel it dry
  16. clean empty razor with toothbrush and fresh warm running water, towel it dry.
The red silicone pad is just to protect the finish on the ceramic sink from scratches from the razor, or from ceramic bowl bottoms on the rare times I use them.

Sink full to warm scuttle/bowl and brush while in shower. Drain, refill scuttle/ bowl. Once shaving I let the hot water run.

I've always used a sink full of water, but this thread has inspired me to try a couple different ways.
One day I tried turning the faucet on/off and plugged the drain to see how much water was used. It was a lot less than a full sink. However turning the handle on/off got annoying.
Next day I used a plastic cereal bowl full of water. This I found a lot easier, used less water plus the bowl is quicker to rinse than a full sink.

With a DE, I fill the sink halfway or less. When I use a straight, I rinse under the faucett, turning the water on and off as I rinse.

My water-use process:
  1. fill sink up to overflow drain with water from hot water tap
  2. toss in silicone pad, lather bowl, razor, brush, and (sometimes) tub of Proraso with the cap on. This is to warm up the sink and gear.
  3. have shower
  4. drain sink
  5. refill sink with fresh hot water
  6. make lather in bowl and float it in the sink with the brush (voila - a giant scuttle)
  7. occasionally rinse the razor in the sink of water.
  8. rinse lather off face by the bathtub with hand-held shower sprayer
  9. apply alum
  10. drain sink
  11. squeeze extra lather out of brush and use it to wipe scum off sides of sink and outside of lather bowl
  12. rinse bowl and sink with fresh warm running water
  13. rinse alum off my face by the tub with hand-held shower sprayer
  14. rinse out brush with fresh warm running water
  15. rinse blade with fresh warm running water and towel it dry
  16. clean empty razor with toothbrush and fresh warm running water, towel it dry.
The red silicone pad is just to protect the finish on the ceramic sink from scratches from the razor, or from ceramic bowl bottoms on the rare times I use them.

You are a ******* pro. I need a hand held sprayer ffs.

I've always used a sink full of water, but this thread has inspired me to try a couple different ways.
One day I tried turning the faucet on/off and plugged the drain to see how much water was used. It was a lot less than a full sink. However turning the handle on/off got annoying.
Next day I used a plastic cereal bowl full of water. This I found a lot easier, used less water plus the bowl is quicker to rinse than a full sink.

I do turn on/off but my 50 year old house pipes sound like they are going to explodeee each time I abruptly shut off the hot water.

Full sink for safety razors, swish between strokes

Wet sponge for straight razors, gently take the blade across to wipe off.

I rinse under running water.

I would never rinse a razor in a bowl full of water and it has nothing to do with sanitation. It has everything to do with my lack of personal certainty I won't slam it into the bowl side or the stopper. It would certainly happen, matter of time. No way I risk it...and if you do, I won't loan you my gear. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I rinse under running water.

I would never rinse a razor in a bowl full of water and it has nothing to do with sanitation. It has everything to do with my lack of personal certainty I won't slam it into the bowl side or the stopper. It would certainly happen, matter of time. No way I risk it...and if you do, I won't loan you my gear. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
You might slam it into the tap. Mighty small stream of water you have to hit. :)

Top Bottom