What's new

Do you use a full sink of water, or just rinse?

I place my bowl and tumbler under the faucet and fill with hot water; soak my brush in the tumbler, splash my face with the water from the bowl, load the brush and lather. If I need water I dip the brush in the bowl. Then I warm the razor in the bowl of hot water and shave. I'll use the bowl to rinse out the razor, add hot (now cooling) water from the tumbler to keep the bowl almost full. I dip my hand in the bowl to keep my face wet during cleanup; rinse out the brush, soak a washcloth for wet wipe... At the end a hot rinse from the tap to get all the soap film off. I probably use most water rinsing out the brush.

Screw saving water - I live in England and have to put up with it p****ing down constantly so I don't see why I should worry.

I fill the sink an inch or so with hot water, dump in my brush to soak, take a shower and then top up to nearly full (more or less). Can't imagine faffing about turning the tap on and off every time I want to rinse the blade what a PITA, also doubt it would save much water anyway (if I cared).

As for the sink being dirty . . . yep, all in your mind.

I use a sink of water. I find it is useful for:

a. adding more water when making lather (either on face or in bowl)
b. Warming up my lather bowl whilst I am washing my face
c. soaking my brush
d. Washing my face before a shave (even if I shave after a shower)
e. rinsing my face between passes
f. Rinsing razor
g. getting the majority of the soap out my my brush after the shave

Even before I shaved with a DE, back in the bad old days of cartridge and canned foam I still used to use a sink full of water (again for washing face before and rinsing afterwards as well as rinsing my razor). So I am not convinced that my shaving ritual not uses any more water than before.

:thumbup1: same here :thumbup1:

I use the faucet on-off method. I don't really trust how clean my sink is because it's a bizarre white marble pattern on a solid black background. That, and I like the fact that the water I'm using keeps my razor and blade warm.

That said, I don't blast water at full-force. Just enough to get the razor clean for another swipe.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Don't quite trust the cleanliness of using the sink full. But I try to use as little water as possible while doing the rinse. Like the quote, just enough.

It didn't come out of my fingers as funny as it was in my head. Ah well.

I thought it was funny and got a real chuckle out of it. I was on flat rate with my water company, $65.00 a month and rising. Had them install a meter and my rate dropped to $15.00. Talk about guys not using water! Now, I feel like I was subsidizing everybody else' water use before the meter was installed!

I mix my lather in a lathering bowl, place the lathering bowl in the sink, then partially fill the sink with very hot water till it comes to within a half inch of the lip of the lathering bowl. I let the lathering bowl sit in the hot water till it heats up the lather then apply to face. Nice!

I use a metal bowl filled with 1L. of hot tap water for rinsing my razor. I just fill it once for the entire shave. The only reason to open the faucet during the shave is to get a few extra drops of hot water on my brush.

Doing it like this for decades; partly because I don't want to use more water than needed, partly because I don't like the noise of a running tap during my meditation...eh, shave.

Going to revive this thread. Does anyone else think 'sink swishing' #sink #swisher is less hygienic? Your razor picks up a lot of oil and bacteria, rinsing it off with reduce the chances of it spreading and reinfecting you more than your body already handles.

Source: Am an infectious disease doctor.

I wonder how many other people like me, that haven't been around in a while, will log in to B&B for old times sake. I guess I replied to this post 9 years ago! Jeesh where does the time go. Now old man moment done.

I still use a sink full of water. Please spare my germaphobic self a lesson on how bad it is, doc. :001_302::001_302:

Sink full then rinse at the end. My wife and I are the only ones to use that sink and we are both accustomed to each other's germs! If I was using a public restroom to shave in then I might worry.

Going to revive this thread. Does anyone else think 'sink swishing' #sink #swisher is less hygienic? Your razor picks up a lot of oil and bacteria, rinsing it off with reduce the chances of it spreading and reinfecting you more than your body already handles.

Source: Am an infectious disease doctor.

I’m a full sink swisher. I’m personally not concerned. I appreciate your expertise and background, but I would imagine the act of blade buffing or going over a shaved spot on the skin more than once to be a much better transmitter of the bugs you speak of. Not the sink swishing.

One thing I do after every shave is towel wipe clean the sink. It has nothing to do with germs but it keeps the sink squeaky clean (from soap residue, toothpaste etc).

Half sink of hot water.
Just hot enough that when I rinse my razor it is hot for the next pass and does not burn my face.
Gives me a super smooth shave and no irritation - YMMV.

Soak my brush in a coffee cup, face lather, and on-off to rinse anything. Back when I used a brush scuttle, I’d get the sink water hot, fill the scuttle and let in soak in hot water while I showered. Drain and shave. I’m not swirling a straight in a sink to clean it, and I’m content to rinse the blade under the tap. And rinsing my face and brush with clean water. Im paying for the electricity to pump the water out of my well, that the EPA so far hasn't told me isn’t mine.

I tend to use a partial sink of water, but my new sink is kind of flat and rectangular and I have to clean it after, so I may try the on/off water rinse method tomorrow just for kicks.

Partial sink here too. Plug the drain and turn on the hot water. Put the brush in the sink at the same time. Splash the face with hot water a few times and turn off the faucet. At this point I have around three inches of water in the sink. I'll use this to clean the razor while shaving. Proceed to shave then use the water to quickly rinse off my face. I also use it to get most of the left over shaving cream off the brush. I then turn the cold faucet on and do a final quick rinse of face, brush and razor with clean water.

Is swishing in the sink anymore unsanitary then brushing your teeth in the same room one performs myriads of bodily functions? Or using the same cup to rinse brushed teeth day after day? I swish. And I use disposable paper cups to rinse after brushing. We all have fears:)

Top Bottom