What's new

Do you use a full sink of water, or just rinse?

Without turning this into an debate about the merits of conserving water, I'm curious how many of us use a full sink of water for our shaves every morning versus just rinsing out the razor under running water when needed.

When I started wet shaving not too long ago, I was really drawn to the comforting ritual of it: the relaxing act of lathering, the ties to tradition, the satisfaction of acquiring and mastering a new skill. I was also drawn to the conservation of wet shaving: blades can be recycled, less trashing of plastics from disposable cartridges, less metal waste from discarding aerosol cans, no propellants.

From the start, however, it always seemed to me that a lot of water was being used.

I guess because of that, and the fact that I have a fairly light beard that doesn't require a ton of work (and the fact that my sink isn't always the cleanest :mellow:), I've been doing this: soaking my brush in a small bowl as I shower, then shaking it out to start face lathering when I get out. Instead of rinsing my razor in a sink full of water, I'll just rinse it briefly under running hot water when needed and then turn off the faucet until the next rinse.

When it's cold outside, I will use a scuttle to keep my brush/cream warm.

It's worked for me so far and seem to use just a small fraction of the water it would take to fill up the sink. I would think that over the course of years, a lot of water will be saved.

What are your thoughts? I've seen a lot of folks professing the conservational aspects of wet shaving, but I haven't seen a discussion regarding the amount of water being used.

Best,
K.T.

P.S. - OK, I just saw this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=135443 which discusses water use somewhat.

Last edited:
I find it annoying to have to turn the faucet on and off for each rinse.

How about putting a couple of inches of water in the sink and using that. Do you have to run water before the shower runs hot? Run that water into the sink instead. Do you care whether you're rinsing the razor with hot water or lukewarm? There are all sorts of compromises available.

- Chris

I use a sink of water. I find it is useful for:

a. adding more water when making lather (either on face or in bowl)
b. Warming up my lather bowl whilst I am washing my face
c. soaking my brush
d. Washing my face before a shave (even if I shave after a shower)
e. rinsing my face between passes
f. Rinsing razor
g. getting the majority of the soap out my my brush after the shave

Even before I shaved with a DE, back in the bad old days of cartridge and canned foam I still used to use a sink full of water (again for washing face before and rinsing afterwards as well as rinsing my razor). So I am not convinced that my shaving ritual not uses any more water than before.

I use the faucet on-off method. I don't really trust how clean my sink is because it's a bizarre white marble pattern on a solid black background. That, and I like the fact that the water I'm using keeps my razor and blade warm.

That said, I don't blast water at full-force. Just enough to get the razor clean for another swipe.

I've been doing that for the last 12 years.

I have an oversized mug that I fill with leftover water from my electric kettle...I rinse my razor in the that. I like the hot water on the razor (not too hot...the metal will burn the hell out of your skin.

For the cold water splash...while my kettle's heating up, I put some ice in an unused kitchen mixing bowl and fill it with tap water and a cloth. Brisk!

I use a two-quart souffle dish from crate and barrel.

fill it up (only once), holds any size brush, plenty of water to rinse. You can soak towels in it, and best of all it sits over the drain in a normal sink so any splashes or extra water still drain out the drain. When your done, empty it, sloosh a little water around the sink to clean and your are done.

Quick, easy and economical. Best $10 I spent since I started this.

soaking brush in shaving bowl and rinsing razor under running water, I like rinsing and washing my face with clean water...

I use a sink with water in it, but you don't need a sink FULL of water.
Just a few inches will do. What I do, is fill my lather bowl with hot water and my brush. Then tip the water into the sink (reserving a bit for lather). If i'm doing 2 passes, then I'll put the bowl back in the hot water in the sink to keep warm.

¾ of the planet is water... I rinse vigorously and repeatedly.:wink2:

98% of which is non-potable, and the balance consumes enormous resources to clean and get to your house. :nono:

Personally, I use the same sinkfull of hot water to prepare a hot washcloth treatment, soak my brush, create lather, rinse the razor, rinse my face between passes. I do end up using a bit of cold at the end to splash and clean everything up with.

Personally, I find it easier to swish the razor in the sink rather than have to turn the faucet on and off every 5-10 seconds and I don't end up using that much more water overall.

I used to do the Mantic and rinse with a bowl full of hot water which worked okay and felt more traditional. But I didnt like rinsing my face with microscopic stubble water. Also cleaning the sink afterwards was a B

Without turning this into an debate about the merits of conserving water, I'm curious how many of us use a full sink of water for our shaves every morning versus just rinsing out the razor under running water when needed.

When I started wet shaving not too long ago, I was really drawn to the comforting ritual of it: the relaxing act of lathering, the ties to tradition, the satisfaction of acquiring and mastering a new skill. I was also drawn to the conservation of wet shaving: blades can be recycled, less trashing of plastics from disposable cartridges, less metal waste from discarding aerosol cans, no propellants.

From the start, however, it always seemed to me that a lot of water was being used.

I guess because of that, and the fact that I have a fairly light beard that doesn't require a ton of work (and the fact that my sink isn't always the cleanest :mellow:), I've been doing this: soaking my brush in a small bowl as I shower, then shaking it out to start face lathering when I get out. Instead of rinsing my razor in a sink full of water, I'll just rinse it briefly under running hot water when needed and then turn off the faucet until the next rinse.

When it's cold outside, I will use a scuttle to keep my brush/cream warm.

It's worked for me so far and seem to use just a small fraction of the water it would take to fill up the sink. I would think that over the course of years, a lot of water will be saved.

What are your thoughts? I've seen a lot of folks professing the conservational aspects of wet shaving, but I haven't seen a discussion regarding the amount of water being used.

Best,
K.T.

P.S. - OK, I just saw this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=135443 which discusses water use somewhat.

Plug your sink next time. Then you'll see just how much more/less water your using. I would almost be willing to bet that you have to drain the sink before your done.

Sink quarter full for DE, SE....half full for str8... Like to hear the razors "sing" so running water is a distraction

I fill the sink a couple of inches at the start - then let it sit...I wouldn't want to turn the faucet on everytime I needed to rinse and I want to be able to hear my blade (so I don't leave the water running) - so I rinse in the pool in the sink ----- then to rinse my face between passes I simply turn on the faucet again and rinse with clean water - which then fills up the sink a little more each time.

I find it's the best compromise between effective/efficient/enjoyable shave and conservation of water.

Top Bottom