What's new

Do you take the blade out everyshave?

So I've been taking my blade out after every shave..I read somewhere that it will rust quickly if you don't. Then I just read somewhere else that you shouldn't take the blade out. So I'm confused. What do all you great people do...?

Nah, I just leave it in. I usually just give the head a little opening and blow the air out. No rust so far.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If your using modern razor blades, there's no need to worry about rust in the short interval between blade changes.
Make sure you do a good rinse with hot water and shake off excess water and you should be good to go.
Removing and replacing the blade every time you use it increases the risk of cuts, and damage to the business ends of the blade.

I like to keep my razors clean after every shave so the blade comes out. It's not a matter of rusty blades but because my rotation has a lot of razors in it I might not use the same one within a week. But even if I only used one razor I would still leave the blade out and let it dry out and clean the razor after every shave.

Len

I take it out to hand-strop each time.

Then I take a dead chicken out on the front lawn and swing it counter-clockwise (anti-clockwise for the Brits) 3 1/2 times while baying at the moon. :smile:

- Chris

After my shave I give the razor head a good run under the hot tap, then shake any excess water off. I check to make sure there is no debris on the blade then put it away. I only ever take the blade out to change it, roughly every 4 to 5 days. I also give the 3 parts of my razor a good wash and buff up to remove any soap debris before putting in the new blade and re-assembling. Might sound a bit anal, but that is my routine. No signs of rust, un-like my wifes multi-bladed cartridge jobs!

If your using modern razor blades, there's no need to worry about rust in the short interval between blade changes.
Make sure you do a good rinse with hot water and shake off excess water and you should be good to go.

Absolutely. As a good measure, I open up my TTOs and loosen my fixed head razors between shaves.
Are Feathers and 7 Oclock Yellows stainless? Time to go check the packages...

Both are stainless.

I rinse and take the blade out after every shave. Then I use a towel to blot dry the blade and clean out the razor. Before I reassemble I hand strop. Been having good luck and long blade life. Also I'm not ashamed of the way my razors look.

After every shave I gently buff my razor with the crushed petals of the Asian slipper orchid, the blade having been removed to bathe overnight in the tears of Bhutani virgin
... or I just leave it in. It depends.

J

Jarmo P

The blade stays on until it is time to post it to blade bank. Shake the razor and store it in a dry place.

I myself tomorrow am going to use the Progress with a Feather blade that has been on it for 3 weeks. It is absolutely not my fave blade, but unlike some telling I am pretty sure it has not rusted in those weeks on the razor.

I take the blade out when it just will not work anymore at all. But, then again, I use a 1930 NEW DeLuxe and it would shave great with a piece of aluminum Coke can as a blade.

I keep my blades in a safety deposit box at Wells Fargo in San Francisco. The keys are held by two of my relatives, unknown to one another and unknown to me. In order to preserve the life of my blades, I shave with an empty razor. My beard is getting a bit thick but these Feathers are going to last forever.

I keep my blades in a safety deposit box at Wells Fargo in San Francisco. The keys are held by two of my relatives, unknown to one another and unknown to me. In order to preserve the life of my blades, I shave with an empty razor. My beard is getting a bit thick but these Feathers are going to last forever.

THAT'S the spirit!

The Nid Hog

proxy.php

Top Bottom