What's new

Do you take apart your razor to clean it after every shave?

TTOs will get rinsed and left open to dry, but I check to make sure there isn't any schmutz stuck to the underside of the blade, 3 piece razors get disassembled and dried (mainly because I'm moving the blade to the next razor. SE razors and blades get rinsed and dried but SRs get rinsed, wiped, stropped on linen and sometimes a few strokes on leather before getting a thin coating of mineral oil and put away in the top dresser drawer (anywhere but the bathroom).

Only when I do a visual inspection to check for soap scum. I rinse the razor: if it's a TTO, I will leave the door slightly open to dry; if it's a three piece, I will disassemble to let the parts dry overnight. I had a blade rusting situation recently and didn't want to risk damage to either my SS or brass razors.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
It takes no more time for me to clean up a razor after the shave then it does to just rinse it off after a shave?

I simply rinse off the soap take the blade out of the razor and spritz everything with alcohol I keep in a spray bottle that sits right there in the medicine cabinet by the sink.

The alcohol melts away any leftover soap residue and displaces all water and water deposits the second the alcohol makes contact with razor and blade.

I then simply dry off razor with my bath towel and pat the blade dry with toilet paper. It’s very easily and quickly clean, sanitary and dry with no trouble or time consumed. Then put away for it’s next use in the rotation.

I never have to take a brush or soap cleaning to it, because it always stays perfectly pristine with just a simple alcohol spray and towel dry.

I’m retired now, but I did this same exact thing when I worked. It wasn’t hard and didn’t take away anytime from my busy day.

I might find myself in the minority here, but that’s ok. I use two razors every shave because I have a dedicated razor for around my nose. This frees me up to be less concerned about how close another razor gets around my nose. It lets me enjoy razors that might be less than perfect in that regard but oh, so excellent for everything else.

All that to say: I take apart and clean two razors every shave. I’m retired so take that into consideration.
@Phoenixkh what razor are you using around your nose. Some of mine are better than others. I curious

i use a three piece razor and take it apart and rinse it clean after every shave. I towel dry it as best I can then let it air dry. Every few months I take a straw brush (as in a brush used to clean resuable straws) to clean the channels. Also, I only use one razor so no rotation and shave 3x week.

20230515_102927.jpg

It's simple enough. Eazy-peezy.

b/r

ON_1

After every shave? No.

I typically rinse and wipe soap/wax residue from them when changing blades but that's it.

If one of them is getting especially cruddy I'll take the time to clean it more thoroughly. But that is a rare occasion.

I'll disassemble it after each shave, it takes only seconds, and will rinse the blade and the razor parts.
After that the components get wiped dry with a microfibre cloth, the blade gets padded dry.
I won't reassemble straight away but let everything sit till the next morning when I reuse it or swap it for another razor.
One of the huge advantages for me is that a DE razor can be cleaned and dried easily. From a hygiene perspective, for me, that's a huge benefit towards gross cartridge razors you cant really wash the tiniest hairs, crud and bacteria out of.

Not all the time. If I am shaving every day, I rinse, loosen the head and blow the water out, I leave it loose until the next shave. If I know I am not going to shave for a few days or weekend, I pull the razor, dry and store everything.

Nope, I just slightly unscrew the head and plate, put the razor in my cleaner of rubbing alcohol, swish it around, then let it sit for about one hour.

Razor Cleaner.jpg

I take the razor apart and clean it after every shave. I didn't at first, but started the ritual after cutting myself while picking up my razor by the head, from the holder (*DOH!*).

So now I rinse, dry, and put the razor back together and into the holder. Dry the blade and put it on this handy dandy (the third razor is on the sink...hiding. And an"6" on the die means that it's not been used yet. I never get to 6 on a blade):

IMG_2373.HEIC.jpeg

As an aside: I've been experimenting with blades. Really like these three. The Astra and Feather are keepers. Far left one is a Merkur. I'm leaning towards it over the Kai, which is a completely different feel. Not completely sure yet, though.

Top Bottom