What's new

Do you switch hands while shaving?

For a while I tried shaving the right side of my face with my right hand, then switching to the left hand for the left side of my face. After a while I got lazy, though, and I now use my right hand for the whole thing. Is there a right or wrong way to do this, or is it just preference?

I've heard, and agree, that while using your slow hand the dominant hand will become more skilled, and vice versa. Kind of like when roses try to smother whatever they are planted next to, even doubling the size and amount of thorns at the next bush.

But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

I use my non-dominant hand (sinister) for most of the process. I switch to my dominant hand (dexter) for certain parts of my face. It's mostly an automatic thing... I don't consciously choose a hand. Weird, right?

Right hand only for me, though now trying a straight and find it dificult to swap hands for different sides of face:001_huh:

I'm left hand dominant, and I only switch to my right hand when I really have to. For me, that usually means that when I am stretching and and shaving on the right side of my face and my forearm blocks the razor from view. I think it's desirable to be ambidextrous, but I'm new to the straight razor thing, and if my left hand might be a bit stupid at times, my right is an absolute idiot!

It's on my list of things to do, probably around 26th on the list of tricks I need to master :biggrin1:

Cheers,
Ian

I use my non-dominant hand (sinister) for most of the process. I switch to my dominant hand (dexter) for certain parts of my face. It's mostly an automatic thing... I don't consciously choose a hand. Weird, right?

Weird that you don't consciously choose a hand, or weird that you have names for your hands?:001_huh:

To answer the OP's question, though, I don't switch hands. My left hand is too stupid, and I would end up a bloody mess!:w00t:

It just feels right to do it. I tried using my right hand only recently and it felt weird and didn't work as well.

I figure I should just give in to the flow.

It's mostly an automatic thing... I don't consciously choose a hand. Weird, right?

Right hand mostly, except when I get the left corner of my mouth. A little hard to explain, but it's easier to use the right hand to stretch the skin there, and shave that one little spot with my left.

Weird that you don't consciously choose a hand, or weird that you have names for your hands?:001_huh:

Actually, dexter/sinister is kicking it alt schule! They are old Latin terms for the "dextrous" (right) side and the "possessed by the Devil" (sinister) side. These terms are used a lot in heraldry and sometimes in book-binding, especially hand-binding.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I only use my dominant left hand with a DE or an injector, but I somewhat surprisingly use both hands with a straight.

Using a DE, the answer would be a resounding No.

Using a Straight? absolutely, yes. I'm not sure it can be done with one hand and if it can it's certainly really tricky to do. I'm still getting used to doing it with both hands as my non-dominant hand wants to go everywhere but where it's supposed to. Still, I'm getting there :001_smile

I've heard, and agree, that while using your slow hand the dominant hand will become more skilled, and vice versa. Kind of like when roses try to smother whatever they are planted next to, even doubling the size and amount of thorns at the next bush.

But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

+1:thumbup1:

Actually, dexter/sinister is kicking it alt schule! They are old Latin terms for the "dextrous" (right) side and the "possessed by the Devil" (sinister) side. These terms are used a lot in heraldry and sometimes in book-binding, especially hand-binding.

Dexter! Sinistral rotation anyone?

I use my right hand except when doing XTG right to left on the left side of my neck (I'm a DE neck shaver).

Last edited:
Top Bottom