What's new

Do you switch hands while shaving?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I would think it's a preference.

With a DE, I use my right hand only. With a straight, both hands because it's easier. It takes a bit to get used to it but after that, it's almost natural.

Actually, dexter/sinister is kicking it alt schule! They are old Latin terms for the "dextrous" (right) side and the "possessed by the Devil" (sinister) side. These terms are used a lot in heraldry and sometimes in book-binding, especially hand-binding.

Ok, with the Latin explained, it isn't nearly as disturbingly strange!

I should have learned to use both hands with a straight, but I don't. Works okay with just one hand, but probably would have been useful to early on force myself to use both!

I'm a right-hand-only kinda guy. My left hand is really about as incompetent as it could possibly be with regards to anything except playing an instrument, and then it's only slightly more competent than that.

I use both hands with both straight and DE. Sinister side is a bit slower, but works.

Anyone remember Simon Barsinister? Anyone know what a bar sinister denotes?

Idle hands are the devils playground. :blink:
Mostly right handed, but I've been trying to teach the left hand lately and have not been getting as smooth a shave on the left side of my face for a while. Bothers me a little but it's not noticeable, I'll soon master the hand which is "Sinister".

Its really very funny mode of discussion. Well I use both the hands. I stretch and hold my skin from one hand do shave from other hand while i do vice-versa using both the hands. If we want complete relax to our hands we can take rest by getting shave from barber.

Another "sinister" shaver here. I can shave adequately with my right hand, but am thoroughly lefty (left dominant with hand, eye and foot) so my left hand is best for shaving. Funny thing is that about half my family and most of my friends are lefties, too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in only using my dominant hand, which I will henceforth call Dexter.

Weird that you don't consciously choose a hand, or weird that you have names for your hands?:

Mine are Frank and Brian! :lol:

When using a DE I generally just use my (dominant) left hand.

Now I'm starting with straights I'm making a conscious effort to use both, it's coming along pretty well...probably because the grip was unfamiliar to either hand :001_smile

I use both hands with both straight and DE. Sinister side is a bit slower, but works.

Anyone remember Simon Barsinister? Anyone know what a bar sinister denotes?

It's from heraldry, IIRC a bar sinister on a coat of arms means the son born out of wedlock...in other words a b@stard! :001_smile

Actually, dexter/sinister is kicking it alt schule! They are old Latin terms for the "dextrous" (right) side and the "possessed by the Devil" (sinister) side. These terms are used a lot in heraldry and sometimes in book-binding, especially hand-binding.

Similar etymology for adroit and gauche...from the French for right and left respectively :001_smile

I start with the right hand and do the right side of my face and then switch to the left hand for the left side.

Isn't symmetry a good thing?

Top Bottom