What's new

Do you strop after honing?

Hey guys,

Just picked up a Spike vintage today and a Solingen (I think) today at the antique shop. Both are in fairly good shape but the blades are about as sharp as a butter knife. After that I order Naniwa 5k, 8k, and 12k stones. So the question I have is it necessary to strop after coming off the 12k stone?

Thanks for the advice. I have a Polypropylene Webbing component as well as leather. So I'm assuming 20-30 passes on the webbing and 50-60 on the leather?

The lap counts sounds fine, I do equal on the webbing right off the hone. 60 and 60 But you should be fine with that. WHat I find is after 60 laps I don't get an improvement on the leather, YYMV though.

The lap counts sounds fine, I do equal on the webbing right off the hone. 60 and 60 But you should be fine with that. WHat I find is after 60 laps I don't get an improvement on the leather, YYMV though.

Sounds about right by me as well. 20 to 40 on linen is my preferred method but edges sometimes need a little more. 60 is my max for both.

Thanks for the advice. I have a Polypropylene Webbing component as well as leather. So I'm assuming 20-30 passes on the webbing and 50-60 on the leather?

That sounds about right. I usually do 30/60 linen/leather after honing and it seems to work well...

If your razors are as sharp as butter knives, you will likely need a more coarse stone than 5K. 5K would be kind of terrible to set a bevel on, but with slurry and enough time, I guess anything is possible. Do you have a stone in the 1K range? That is what's normally recommended for bevel setting. A jump from 1K to 5K is doable, but many throw in a 3K or similar just to speed things up.

Top Bottom