What's new

Do you still have the straight razor you learned to shave with?

Do you still have the straight razor you learned to shave with?

Skärmklipp.JPG

This E A Berg was the straight razor I mostly used my 30 first straight razor shaves and learned to shave with. I also bought 2 shave ready straight razors from local forum members after some shave and tried to improve my honing. But this razor is the one I mostly used.

I tried first with another that I honed one King stones and stropped on pasted denim and then diamond pasted leather (same with this E A Berg) but never got it sharp.
I found this other first straight recently and I kind of understood why now. It’s been honed down completely by me and perhaps the previous owner before. But I might give it a try now to see if I can beat that Solingen razor, my nemesis. I do like Solingen razors now :001_smile

I started with a Dovo 6/8 BQ and collected many many more, but sold this razor a week ago to someone that really wanted it. So I had to replace it with another Dovo and liking Swedish steel so much I ordered a Dovo Special 1516

ADDC74CA-4E44-49FB-B0E2-EFE052735E1B.jpeg

78C55AE8-1EC7-4A43-AAD1-D162D55CA946.jpeg

Last edited:
I still have the Estas my Barber gave me 17 years ago.
6/8 incredibly thin grind and hard as hell steel.
I used it for a bit then bought a Best Quality Col. Conk. It was so much easier to get a great edge on and I still have that one too.
The Estas was the gift that has kept on giving. It excited me and set me on a new course that I have not strayed from.
Straights for life or until my body will not let me do so.

Last edited:
Still have mine, well kinda.....this Otto Busch was the second one I purchased after the Gold Dollar I started with I got from a member here, the GD is long gone as I gave it away here but the Otto Busch I still have and use

2808B961-1284-4A57-8261-3233DC23DC63.jpeg
3EAE27F4-D79F-43A3-974F-C5048F380320.jpeg

Yep, just shaved with it today as a matter of fact for the first time in a year and a half. Gold Dollar. Not a bad razor at all.

I dropped it many years ago. It hit the left side of the sink and then the tile floor. It was a Heljestrand M.K. No.32 in perfect condition and with ivory scales. That was before hitting the floor, afterwards it just was scrap metal and broken ivory. It wasn't a good day.

That.....sucks!

Yes a 6/8 Dovo Bismarck. Supposed to be shave ready but was not(vendor now out of business). Terrible experience. I thought to myself is this was straight razor shaving is? I didn’t give up.
So I bought a 6/8 TI with stamina scales from Straight Razor Design. That was certainly shave ready. At that point even though still learning I knew what all the fuss was about. I sent the Bismarck off to Lyn Abrams for honing and never looked back at the opening of the rabbit hole. This was about 6 years ago.
I still have both razors and many more.

No, but a very dedicated B&Ber is starting out with it right now. I think he will be the third to start with that Gold Dollar.
394F8DFE-604A-4F51-A468-23E97827D350.jpeg

No. Dovo best quality 5/8
it was crap, can't believe I learned to shave with that thing tbh

My Dovo Best Quality 5/8 full hollow was my first new SR. Very reasonably priced, especially for a German product. It shaved fine after I did a little lapping film finishing on it. I did buy the version with the slightly heavier, beveled plastic scales.

Coincidentally, I shaved with it today before I found this thread. It is a far better razor than a much more expensive (even after a big markdown) Thiers-Issard I returned recently to the vendor.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Yes, a Titan 1918 ACRM-2. It is now my reference razor for edge quality that I try to get all my others to meet. Some are getting close, very close.

Top Bottom