What's new

do you 'shim' your blades in your razor?

There is absolutely no need to shim an adjustable razor. Zero need. The ability to increase the aggressiveness is built into any adjustable razor.
One shim does little to make a razor more aggressive (do the math). It will add to rigidity which might add to efficiency a bit. I'll try shims in razors with less rigid geometry (like the Merkurs/DE89 family. No razor "needs" a shim but some shavers may benefit from them in differing circumstances.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: saj
I shimmed my Game Changer .68P (so it was about .78mm), and used that for a week.

I'm now trying a move to the .84 plate.
The math doesn't work that way because of blade angle. So gap will increase by less than the additional blade thickness. The width of the shim will also make a difference in how close and consistent the gap increase comes to mirroring the razor gap you're trying to emulate.

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

Oh yes, I shimmed my Muhle rytmo R89 with a double blade shim. Feels like an ther razor. High efficient but still smooth.

Oh yes, I shimmed my Muhle rytmo R89 with a double blade shim. Feels like an ther razor. High efficient but still smooth.

Not tried it in my muhle rytmo r89,
Do you like the razor?

I like it but I find the handle to be quite slippery

Any idea what knot is this pure badger brush? I got mine from Amazon UK

IMG_20210617_220703.jpg

Not tried it in my muhle rytmo r89,
Do you like the razor?

I like it but I find the handle to be quite slippery

Any idea what knot is this pure badger brush? I got mine from Amazon UK
Mine looks like this, wooden handle so not so slppery.
IMG-20210211-140929026.jpg

No idea what knot this is...
I like the razor a lot more since it's shimmed.

Just a quick one, what would be the best what to shim a blade on a SE razor? I want to shim my broman SE razor as it's nice and comfy but way too mild, have to do a fair few passes even with a sharp blade like a Perma sharp

I just feel this razor has a lot of potential but won't get used a lot unless I can make it that more efficient especially ATG

I shimmed my de 89 ages ago and liked the results.but since then I've acquired a few😉 gillette's lol.today i thought I'd try shim my 1932 new lc.halfway through shaving my head,i could feel some light burning and irritation start..i don't think I'll do that again lol...if i want a close shave I'll grab my single ring or even milord

I shimmed my de 89 ages ago and liked the results.but since then I've acquired a few😉 gillette's lol.today i thought I'd try shim my 1932 new lc.halfway through shaving my head,i could feel some light burning and irritation start..i don't think I'll do that again lol...if i want a close shave I'll grab my single ring or even milord
at least you tried it out mate, better to try thing out and learn i suppose

Yea man for sure.i seen heaps of people saying not to shim the New...and i can see why.but then again with this hobby of ours it really is ymmv lol.hmmmmm.....now I'm I'm stuck in a paradox of what razor to use today lmao😤

I tried to shim my Timeless TI 0.68 and I didn’t like it much.

I might not have understood if I didn’t know though

anyone else stack as oppose to shim? as in just use two blade whole without trimming anything off them

noticed the youtuber subie shaves been doing this with success and says its makes the blades feel more rigid and less blade chatter too

im going to try this on my next head shave :)

Top Bottom