What's new

Do you shave with two razors on a single shave?

How many of you shave with two razors on a single shave due to completely different facial characteristics?

Lately, I've been using one razor on my face and another on my jawline, chin, neck and upper lip, which grows entirely east to west and is dense enough to look like a permanent bruise.

It's so easy to just switch razors. I know there are adjustable razors, but why?

If you do, post what and why.

(Me? I run an EJ89 on the face, aggressive blade and a Pearl open comb on the neck and jaw, moderate blade). I doubt this is new, but I'm curious.

Only when I am trying out a new razor, and it is total junk, or hurting my face. I then grab the Fatboy, and finish it up.

I have. For example, tried a Shavecraft 101. Didn't particularly like either side, switched to my BBS-1 for a fourth pass and still got a DFS.

I've performed a similar feat with two DE's, though I more commonly touch up with a straight. The different angles are better handled by different razors, so I really don't mind spending the extra time cleaning my second.

I often switch from my EJ to my tech for my touch ups to decrease the probability of irritation. If I start with my tech I usually use the EJ to promote a BBS.

If I have been growing beard for a whole week or more I am often doing the first pass with Merkur 15C. This razor is incredible in how it is mowing down bigger growth in one single pass. However, it is never giving a BBS, so I am finishing the shaving with another razor.

I head shave to I have used one razor for my face and then grabbed a different one for my head. On my head, due to the reduced layer of fat just under the skin I find that my Merkur 37C is just too unforgiving, so if I've used that on my face then I'll grab my FatBoy, Super Speed or my Ikon 101 for the dome shave.

No I never use two razors. The only time I have is when I first started using a DE and I couldnt get under my nose so I used a cartridge with that single blade on the top side which is supposed to be for your side burns.

Glad you asked! I was going to post the same topic.

I've been experimenting with using different razors for each pass. It gives me more experience (okay, fun) with each razor. And some razors just don't do very well around my chin. Sometimes I'll even use a Bic disposable for touchups.

Have from time to time and if I do will use a Gillette NEW LC for the first pass then switch to something else. Makes a true BBS a little easier to pull off.

I normally use 2 razors...a De does the lions share of the work, and then I do some touchups of some hard to reach spots like under the nose with a cartridge. Handsome faces are harder to shave. sometimes i'll keep going with the cartridge and do a really quick final pass over everything as well.

But I recently tried something different. I did my first pass WTG with my fairly mild EJ 89. Then I did the XTG and ATG passes with my more aggressive Parker 71R. The result: less irritation than when I had previously did all passes with the Parker. Also, possibly a closer shave than when I did all passes with the EJ89.
Im going to try this a few more times and see if its replicable.

I normally use 2 razors...a De does the lions share of the work, and then I do some touchups of some hard to reach spots like under the nose with a cartridge. Handsome faces are harder to shave. sometimes i'll keep going with the cartridge and do a really quick final pass over everything as well.

But I recently tried something different. I did my first pass WTG with my fairly mild EJ 89. Then I did the XTG and ATG passes with my more aggressive Parker 71R. The result: less irritation than when I had previously did all passes with the Parker. Also, possibly a closer shave than when I did all passes with the EJ89.
Im going to try this a few more times and see if its replicable.

This whole reply is outstanding, starting with, "Handsome faces are harder to shave."

I definitely do not have that Handsome Face, so it's really not so difficult to shave it!
But I'll still use two razors on occasion!
One for the straight-aways and another for the tight spots.

$colgate stick filarmonica inox morris forndran blenheim bouquet december 30 2014.jpg

If there is a spot that is still has stubble after three passes, I reach for my Schick E to do quick touch ups.

No, I do not, but the idea makes sense with all the people who have a collection of razors. Unfortunately I spend a good share of time working on the road and living out of motel rooms, so a single set of brush, travel DE, and tubed cream will be all I have with which to play.

I wish I could use just one. But that doesn't seem to work with the inconsistent blades on the market. I need the razor to compensate because it's the stable thing in the equation.

Top Bottom