What's new

Do you shave with the handle loose or snug Poll?

Do you shave with the handle loose or snug?

• Do you shave with the handle, head, and blade loose?

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Do you shave with the handle snug and the blade secure?

Votes: 103 96.3%

• Total voters

Raven Koenes

My precious!
It seems there are two schools of thought when it comes to shaving with three piece DE razors. One school of thought might deem the other school of thought crazy even by Brother Hood of Shaving Crazies (BOSC) standards and visa versa. This poll is designed to settle the debate once and for all.

1. Do you shave with the handle loose, and that the only purpose of the handle is to, well, be a handle. This leaves the head able to spin, and the blade loose for maximum ease of movement of the whole razor?

2. Do you shave with the handle snug against the shaving head securing the blade, and do you find by doing so it offers a smoother shave even though sacrificing ease of movement of the handle, head, and blade of the whole razor?

Gentlemen let the polling begin. By casting your vote you are helping to decide an age old debate started about a week ago. Thank you for participating.

Brought to you by:
BOSC Motto.jpg

I no longer have a three piece razor. When I did, I always kept the handle snug. The thought of leaving it loose never crossed my mind. I had excellent shaves.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

R

romsitsa

If the head can spin what holds the blade in place and how can you control the angle of the blade?
It's either a joke or one of the worst ideas ever.

Adam

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Not tight? Really?

I understand Gillette published instructions to loosen the handle a very small amount to adjust the shave. In my experience a tight handle may result in a razor with a tiny gap and tiny guard span. Loosening the handle even a little bit gives you gap and guard span. Why would anybody want that? If you want a more "aggressive" razor more prone to bite you, they make plenty of those which can be used as directed with tight handles.

BOSC.2.NotFollowingDirectionsOnPurpose.jpg

I fully support all the experiments anybody does regardless of anything.

upload_2018-6-16_14-12-11.png

upload_2018-6-16_14-13-44.png

We all know the answer to that question, but some of us should maybe consider changing our username.

Bluto. Bluto2. Bluto3. Bluto.Etc. Bluto+. Bluto_On.Steroids. All perfectly good usernames for the taking.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The Gillette instructions were for "2-piece razors" (not truly 2 piece, but the handle is permanently attached to the base plate), as far as I know. Somebody will correct me if I am wrong.

R

romsitsa

It were also for three piece razor, but the blades were way thicker and rigid than todays offerings.

Adam

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Well, tight, obviously. Anything else is heresy lol.

I understand Gillette published instructions to loosen the handle a very small amount to adjust the shave.

@romsitsa beat me to it!

It were also for three piece razor, but the blades were way thicker and rigid than todays offerings.

The spring pressure on the older thicker blades would have been considerably more so there would be far less chance of chatter backing the handle off a 1/4 turn. With todays super thin and flexible blades no thanks. I dont like blade chatter.

I wonder who the one vote for a loose handle is... El ultimo hombre lol.

No Country for Old Men money.png

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'll occasionally open up a Gillette TTO razor slightly. It was a regular thing for me in the '70s and my one and only razor -- a Schick Krona.

Three piece? Yeah, I don't think so.

"No" vote.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Fully closed, every time. If the handle is not fully closed, and is allowed to rotate on the handle, that means the blade will not be a consistent curve, consistent angle, consistent tension, nor consistent exposure throughout the shave. Sound like a recipe for disaster to me.

Snug.

Always learn/hear of new things on this forum. Never knew a “loose” razor was a thing. Seems dangerous to me but havent ever given it any thought either.

1. Do you shave with the handle loose, and that the only purpose of the handle is to, well, be a handle. This leaves the head able to spin, and the blade loose for maximum ease of movement of the whole razor?
2. Do you shave with the handle snug against the shaving head securing the blade, and do you find by doing so it offers a smoother shave even though sacrificing ease of movement of the handle, head, and blade of the whole razor?
I love different, weird, and what some would consider risky, experiments. I may be crazy.:crazy: But I don't think I'm insane, so I'll be sticking with #2 (handle snug against the shaving head securing the blade) thank you.

I'll leave #1 for the terminally insane... and please accept my apologies if that's you. :lol:
Brother Hood of Shaving Crazies (BOSC)
Hey! Is this some new BOSC headgear that no one has told me about? :letterk1: :laugh:
Hey Dave, @Dave in KY is this a secret our official BOSC outfitter is keeping quiet about? :001_unsur

Last edited:
I have tried using a TTO a bit loose but found it really did not make much of a difference. Using a shim makes a more noticeable difference. To each his own.

I like to use Vise Grips on mine to snug it down real good. Is your wife aware you have this much spare time on your hands Rave?

Not even slightly loose. I figure that's the reason for threads all the way down the post - keep it tight. Besides, I'm loose enough as it is without the blade adding to my problems.

Top Bottom