What's new

Do you shave with both hands?

After 30 years removed, I came back to wet-shaving in 2018. Technique is getting better and my shave time has been reduced. A natural right-hnder, I find my self now resisting the urge to shave the left side of my face with my left hand holding the razor. Tried it with trepidation and trying to decide whether to continue a "both-hand shave". Question for the DE shaving community is how many (or what percentage) shave using both hands?

After I broke my arm last year, I learned (after a nasty few months with a beard) to shave with my non-dominant left mitt. Now I use both hands comfortably to shave, maybe 70% right, 30% left.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Right handed throughout for a DE shave, but I am toying with using the left hand for straight shaving - but not very successfully as yet.

I am left-handed, but I use my right hand to shave the “far side” of my right leg. Feels slightly awkward but no more so than the weird angles necessary to do the complete job left-handed.

Patti

I DE shave with both hands - right hand (dominant hand) for the right side of my face and neck, around my mouth, and right side of the back of my neck, and left hand (weak hand) for the left side of my face and neck, and the left side of the back of my neck.

Interesting that when I shave with a straight or a shavette, switching hands (right for right side, left for left side) feels natural.

just my right, would not even dream of attempting to shave with my left at this time. If i ended up not having the use of the right then i would have to force myself to learn to use it.

I do. Right hand for right side of the face the left hand for the left side. I only started to shave with both hands about 4 years ago. I had broken my right hand and had a cast on for about 6 weeks. During this period, I methodically learned how to wet shave using my left hand. I even shaved my entire face with just my left hand. A little slower than usual, but worked out fine.

I shave with both hands simultaneously. No...just kidding.

I’m a professional drummer and am probably more ambidextrous than most, but I only shave with my right hand. I can make it work with a kamisori type of razor.

I'm a female DE Wet Shave and I do shave my face (great for makeup going on well) and my legs, arms and bikini line. On my face, I use my right hand almost all the time. My legs, however, I do use both hands.
I ordered a Classic Samurai CS-102 shavette, so I'll have to learn to use my left hand more.

Interesting concept. I have never felt the need so I have not tried to gain that skill.

Many years ago I worked on an automotive assembly line. I progressed to become an "emergency relief operator" which meant that I would work any station on the assembly line in my area often with little notice. I had to become proficient at all of the stations, and quickly learned that it was faster to learn the other side of the car by allowing myself to function "other handed". Much of that stayed with me all of my life and I still will switch handedness when it is advantageous to do so.

Never felt the need for shaving though.

Top Bottom