What's new

Do You Shave Exclusively With Straights ONLY?

Straights only from my first shave. I have received some DE razors & blades since then that I have not even tried yet.

L

Lo'Tek

I've been down all other roads. I'm on the straight and narrow now.

;-{o

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using the DE less and less. The more I've used my straights the more I like using straights, and when there's a choice I almost always go straight.

But... there are times when it just makes more sense to use a DE. When we're on a family trip and staying in a motel room, for example. Four people, competing for one sink -- if someone bumps my arm while I'm shaving with a straight, it could be memorable.

Have to give a +1 to a lot of what has been said here.

If I'm time crunched, DE it is.

But I like to make time to enjoy straight shaving. It's worth it.

I have been using a straight, off and on, since 67'. About the middle of 08' I went exclusively to the straight and haven't looked back. The shear enjoyment I get from using a straight, and the quality of the shave, is reason enough to not worry about the extra 5 to 7 minutes it takes over a DE or safety when time is a factor. If my day breaks down to worrying about that much extra time, I either have a scheduling problem or I'm not getting paid enough!

Enjoy!

Ray

I'm a straight only shaver. I've shaved three or four times with an Atra and Mach 3 while on tour and had no choice, never again. I did however purchase a Feather DE to try. Despite the fact that DEs scare me a little bit I just want to try it out as an alternative when I travel. Travel with a shavette is almost as big a pain in the *** as traveling with a real str8. If it doesn't get stolen from your checked bag, you have to explain to the TSA agent that there is no blade in the shavette etc.

I started with a straight a month ago and have not gone back. I've bleed a little more and have been pretty...um...patchy, but I have zero desire for shaving any other way now. It's an awesome meditative excersie for me.

100% straight! Super simple, incredibly effective, elegant and slick, and I am a happier man for the joy and experience of it.

I'd say I use a straight more than 90% of the time. The only time I use a DE any more is when I'm extremely pressed for time, when I'm sick enough that I probably shouldn't be shaving, or when I've been drinking. I trust myself buzzed with a DE in my hand, but you couldn't pay me enough to shave with a straight and a buzz.

I shave only with a straight. I purposefully gave away my cartridge razors after I started so I wouldn't be tempted to use them to make up time.

Straights only.

I have a Gem Junior Bar 1900/1901 in the bathroom as backup but can't remember last time I used it.

I only just started using a straight a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't looked back since. Not even for touch ups at the beginning, when the shaves were incredibly rough.

I'm only 3 shaves in with a straight. As of right now I've not used my DE or SE. However, I do have fairly thin sideburns and I don't at the moment have the technique to keep them even with the straight.

So I may clean up the edges of my beard with a DE.

Staight only for the last 1.5 years. Never tried a DE but I have way more straight related stuff i want to buy before i could justify $$ on a DE.

I had a handful of traditional straights and a non-folding Feather AC about a year ago. I tried to stick with it but never got the hang of using a straight or maintaining the edge of one. I couldn't get good results - trouble going XTG or ATG and had some bad cuts so I threw in the towel and went back to the DEs.

I just ordered another feather AC though and am going to give it another shot.

I still use both as I am in the learning curve at the moment (Straight razor).

When the learning curve will reach an acceptable, mmm, curve, I will make a switch. I will keep 1 razor and sell the rest... That's how much I love it :biggrin:

+1 I am only one week into shaving with a straight. I am looking forward to whittling down my collection to a few straights and one DE for travel.

Basically I'm a straight shaver except when I'm in a rush or hungover (or both) when I whip out the slant. However every now and then I get a hankering for a DE shave just for the sake of it and I always enjoy it when I do.

Top Bottom