What's new

Do you see what I see?

Does anyone have any information about who or when these were produced?
My last one was every bit as good if not slightly better than my current yellow green. I know they are great stones but you don't see them that often.
Thanks

Just received the stone today and got a pleasant surprise.
Not only was the stone NOT used with oil but it had a hidden secret.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I'm going to have to call it a Blue/Green?
I'll post a picture of the label as soon as I get it.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Looks just like my CH12K. Did you slurry it up? Did it have that distinct thuringian smell? If so, that should be a great one!

Beeeautiful. Great Thuri score. It looks like Blue Green with a Yellow Green layer sandwiched in the middle.

Beeeautiful. Great Thuri score. It looks like Blue Green with a Yellow Green layer sandwiched in the middle.

Thank you, the transitional layer does not go all the way across but it is all the way along the one long edge - purdy.
Test shaved it tonight. Sublime
I had a conversation with Sebastian (doorsch) about the supplier of these. He sent me a link from a catalogue in 1912 that sold razor hones with that label. As with many businesses at that time they started out selling bicycles and such then began to sell everything.
Very pleased.

Thank you, the transitional layer does not go all the way across but it is all the way along the one long edge - purdy.
Test shaved it tonight. Sublime
I had a conversation with Sebastian (doorsch) about the supplier of these. He sent me a link from a catalogue in 1912 that sold razor hones with that label. As with many businesses at that time they started out selling bicycles and such then began to sell everything.
Very pleased.
Could you share the name of the company that sold these? Thx. Just curious.
Also, the fact that you were able to locate the missing corner, wow. That's really cool.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Haha together at last! You will always have a good story to go along with that stone. Thanks for letting us know it made it.

Could you share the name of the company that sold these? Thx. Just curious.
Also, the fact that you were able to locate the missing corner, wow. That's really cool.

Actually if you read from the beginning, I only had the corner! Dcaddo had the big piece.
I've tried to copy the information sent to me from Doorsch but I cant seem to get it to work.
The company was "August Stukenbrok Einbeck" it was started in 1888 and closed in1932. They sold bicycles at first then many other items.

It seems that this is the label they used for all their stones and many of them were synthetic which led to the belief that these were Man Made Thuringians being produced from the dust from cutting actual Thuringians then made into stones - similar to synthetic Coticules (which are considered finer than most coticules)
I have owned two of these from that company and they are probably from the Escher quarry at the time. They both have been exquisite examples of Thuringians and I have only seen them in the "Barber Gem" size at 5x2.5. I had written to Sebastian (Doorsch) to let him know they are in fact NOT synthetic given the layering. He already knew :) and forwarded me what he had found regarding the company that had rebranded it.
Its really too bad as, if somebody did not recognize this as a Thuringian they may have used oil on it. But then again according to Hatchizo (Peter) Thuringians were used with oil in the really early years.

Haha together at last! You will always have a good story to go along with that stone. Thanks for letting us know it made it.

Yes together at last and forever hopefully. Yes the reaction from those that I have told is NO WAY! what are the odds?
Its nice to preserve such things. I can't thank you enough.

Ha, just got it to work!
http://www.digitalis.uni-koeln.de/Stuken/stuken76-80.pdf

OK, that is a great story. Great observation. Labels reunite! And a really cool stone. May have to branch out from Jnats someday. I love this place...

Yep, I have been using Jnats for some time now. I have a Y/G that is a fine hone but this Blue/Green is simply awesome.
I had never used a B/G before but I believe they are slightly better. Everything I have honed lately has the new B/G edge on it.
Fantastic little hone that will never leave and great story to boot!

Actually if you read from the beginning, I only had the corner! Dcaddo had the big piece.
I've tried to copy the information sent to me from Doorsch but I cant seem to get it to work.
The company was "August Stukenbrok Einbeck" it was started in 1888 and closed in1932. They sold bicycles at first then many other items.

It seems that this is the label they used for all their stones and many of them were synthetic which led to the belief that these were Man Made Thuringians being produced from the dust from cutting actual Thuringians then made into stones - similar to synthetic Coticules (which are considered finer than most coticules)
I have owned two of these from that company and they are probably from the Escher quarry at the time. They both have been exquisite examples of Thuringians and I have only seen them in the "Barber Gem" size at 5x2.5. I had written to Sebastian (Doorsch) to let him know they are in fact NOT synthetic given the layering. He already knew :) and forwarded me what he had found regarding the company that had rebranded it.
Its really too bad as, if somebody did not recognize this as a Thuringian they may have used oil on it. But then again according to Hatchizo (Peter) Thuringians were used with oil in the really early years.

Yes together at last and forever hopefully. Yes the reaction from those that I have told is NO WAY! what are the odds?
Its nice to preserve such things. I can't thank you enough.

Ha, just got it to work!
http://www.digitalis.uni-koeln.de/Stuken/stuken76-80.pdf

Thank you for the info.
Man, for some reason I had the labels switched. Starting with only the small piece makes this story even more cool :)
Regarding Escher/thuri colors. My best one is a BG as well. Out of the 3 I have so we are not talking about some huge sample.

Top Bottom