What's new

Do You Remember What I Said...

...about being happy with 6 razors?
Well, neither do I. Apparently I'm not in the "6 or less Club"any longer. Oh well.
So...I am truly happy with the 6 razors I have...however, I have recently seen or have been made aware of several razors that caught my attention.
I read about the GreenCult razor, the Winning razor and the Helix Apollo razor...I have purchased all three. Why? Well, they are all kinda "boutique razors" which I kinda prefer. The first to arrive was the GreenCult razor from Austria. Ok...then. A razor that is family and professionally run. More to come later. The "Winning" razor looks like something I'd want...because of design and again a family run business. The Helix razor is because I am 100% Ukrainian from the ground up. Both sides. I will always try to support a family/local business from this country...and the design is gorgeous.
Ok then. The GreenCult razor arrived...ahead of everyone else.
My initial responses...HILARIOUS.
The packaging was totally "We have run out of small packages...no problem, I will cut down the bigger box to accommodate the smaller items(s)."
Well, when it arrived, I thought it had been kicked around the loading dock for a couple of hours. But no...it was just bad packaging...which I'm ok with.
Anyway, here's a few pics of what I received. Also as far as the actual razor packaging is concerned...it's just fine. All paper and easily re-cycled.

Now, onto the shave, I weighed the razor with the original handle and found a weight of 120 gms. A bit heavy and overly long, slanted towards handle weight. I prefer the head to be heavier feeling...so I swapped the handle for a drunkrusbear Ti handle which changed the weight to 88 gms. The fit and finish are fine, with definite machining marks on the head and handle which adds to its charm.

Wow! This is a razor that takes no prisoners. I used Mitchell woolfat soap along with a handmade (myself) brush and lathered up. The blade was a Feather with two shaves on it.

This razor has almost zero audible input. It just immediately felt like a shaver you need to pay attention to. OK. So this is a GREAT shaver. Aggressive and efficient. But DO pay attention. This is not a shaver to be overly casual with and do not use any extra pressure, just let the razor do the work. I did one pass and then some ATG buffing etc to clear up a few areas. It's easy to manoeuvre and now a much better weight with the lighter handle. Damn...this is a very good razor.
I would suggest a blade along the lines of an Astra to start with and then move up to whatever blade you prefer. I love this thing.
41E80936-194E-4B58-992C-93B5ED0DFFDA.jpeg
FC9E0997-D4CB-455E-9A36-D7A274863BF7.jpeg
145EBAC4-3F17-44A7-8B65-8C2660C75639.jpeg
DFACFE11-6002-4B3F-BCAF-B11A6AE5D543_1_201_a.jpeg
315EB5DB-6C74-43A7-8C98-2906AA3B574E.jpeg
A59208B0-B8FB-4AD9-B5EF-CA6D65258F66.jpeg
843D7570-B964-49E1-87AB-CBD8063A86A9.jpeg
38FA907F-46C5-42C3-9827-E642D1E36338_1_201_a.jpeg

...about being happy with 6 razors?
Well, neither do I. Apparently I'm not in the "6 or less Club"any longer. Oh well.
So...I am truly happy with the 6 razors I have...however, I have recently seen or have been made aware of several razors that caught my attention.
I read about the GreenCult razor, the Winning razor and the Helix Apollo razor...I have purchased all three. Why? Well, they are all kinda "boutique razors" which I kinda prefer. The first to arrive was the GreenCult razor from Austria. Ok...then. A razor that is family and professionally run. More to come later. The "Winning" razor looks like something I'd want...because of design and again a family run business. The Helix razor is because I am 100% Ukrainian from the ground up. Both sides. I will always try to support a family/local business from this country...and the design is gorgeous.
Ok then. The GreenCult razor arrived...ahead of everyone else.
My initial responses...HILARIOUS.
The packaging was totally "We have run out of small packages...no problem, I will cut down the bigger box to accommodate the smaller items(s)."
Well, when it arrived, I thought it had been kicked around the loading dock for a couple of hours. But no...it was just bad packaging...which I'm ok with.
Anyway, here's a few pics of what I received. Also as far as the actual razor packaging is concerned...it's just fine. All paper and easily re-cycled.

Now, onto the shave, I weighed the razor with the original handle and found a weight of 120 gms. A bit heavy and overly long, slanted towards handle weight. I prefer the head to be heavier feeling...so I swapped the handle for a drunkrusbear Ti handle which changed the weight to 88 gms. The fit and finish are fine, with definite machining marks on the head and handle which adds to its charm.

Wow! This is a razor that takes no prisoners. I used Mitchell woolfat soap along with a handmade (myself) brush and lathered up. The blade was a Feather with two shaves on it.

This razor has almost zero audible input. It just immediately felt like a shaver you need to pay attention to. OK. So this is a GREAT shaver. Aggressive and efficient. But DO pay attention. This is not a shaver to be overly casual with and do not use any extra pressure, just let the razor do the work. I did one pass and then some ATG buffing etc to clear up a few areas. It's easy to manoeuvre and now a much better weight with the lighter handle. Damn...this is a very good razor.
I would suggest a blade along the lines of an Astra to start with and then move up to whatever blade you prefer. I love this thing.
View attachment 1412942View attachment 1412943View attachment 1412944View attachment 1412945View attachment 1412946View attachment 1412947View attachment 1412948View attachment 1412949
Love the gravy boat scuttle!

Great review of the razor. It is great to support businesses from one's own country. Many of the folks, and my wife and I, are praying for you and your country.
Thanx for the kind thoughts. But I believe it's gonna take more than prayers to get Putin to allow Ukraine to exist as a free and independent country. Waiting for the Helix Apollo to land, looks to be a an interesting addition.

Great review of the razor. It is great to support businesses from one's own country. Many of the folks, and my wife and I, are praying for you and your country.
Thanx for the kind thoughts. But I believe it's gonna take more than prayers to get Putin to allow Ukraine to exist as a free and independent country. Waiting for the Helix Apollo to land, looks to be a
I remember, but I thought was like when people say things like “this is a RAD-killer” or “I finally found my destination razor.”
Yeah that's true...and well, now I know better than to make such definitive and blanket statements...again. Cheers.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I read about the GreenCult razor, the Winning razor and the Helix Apollo razor...I have purchased all three.
I got the Apollo in "Light" and the Greencult, the Winning will be imported when I am in the mood to deal with customs again. Not only do they cost money, they sometimes turn express into pony express.

Back to razors, the Greencult surprised me as well. In "surprisingly good" and "way more aggressive than anticipated". I was fairly certain it is a mild lady shave... it was not. I very much like how it shaves, even like the handle. But your replacement handle looks very fancy, I like it a lot!

I ordered early and still got mine in a size fitting parcel, it also was shipped within Europe, so not it didn't go through as many delivery related machinery and "loving" hands of delivery persons. The owner got overwhelmed with demand for the Greencult razor. I suggested giving the razor a name. An alternative handle and stand are supposedly in planning.

I would like to recommend you another razor; as I am already saving up for the Alpha Bandit, the new Razorock Slant and some other, non-shaving related activities, I haven't pulled the trigger (also because I am kinda fixed on stainless steel, but these razors are only available in bronze) and will wait for future batches of razors by Theodoros, the artisan behind Lambda Shaving in Greece.

Lambda Ares and Lambda Athena are quite marvelous razors, even coming in a wooden box.
You can find Lambda under "Lambda Razors" on Facebook.

According to shaving buddies and other reports on the net they do not only look nice but shave also very good.

Thanx for the kind thoughts. But I believe it's gonna take more than prayers to get Putin to allow Ukraine to exist as a free and independent country. Waiting for the Helix Apollo to land, looks to be a an interesting addition.
I agree, and I can't give an explanation of why God allows such things. We have friends who recently left your country but are anxious to return. They are from America, but are, in many ways, more Ukrainian that American at this point. There kids have an easier time speaking your language than mine.

Top Bottom