What's new

Do you recommend this DE for a newbie?

I got my hands on one of those "Picture". I wonder if anyone owns/used one of those and if it can be used by a newbie like me.

My observations are that it feels heavy and not well balanced, between the tip and handle. Very heavy tip, not sure if that is a good thing, if you are supposed to allow its own weight to do the shaving.
Also how do you go with cleaning an item like that? Inside the head there are some tiny spots of discoloration.

Thanks,

Sorry, could not find a way to upload a picture. This is a picture from ebay of a very similar DE.

proxy.php

That's the same type of Gillette Super Speed that I started out on when I was a kid. Just clean it up and it should give many more years of service. I still use mine.

-Pary

Rusty Shackleford said:
That's the same type of Gillette Super Speed that I started out on when I was a kid. Just clean it up and it should give many more years of service. I still use mine.

-Pary

Great to know, thanks.
How to clean it though? will soup and hot water did not do the job. Any tips to clean metal and remove possible rust spots?

I am soaking the razor in hot vineger for the next 24 hours, and will brush it with a toothbrush, will let you know if this will have any effect. I let part of the handle above the vinegar, to make any difference more noticable.

Kachmar,
This is what I do to all of my vintage razors;

Soak in boiling water with a little bit of dish soap for about 5 minutes to loosen the heavy crud. Scrub with a heavy bristle toothbrush. Rinse. If the razor is particularly dirty it may take two or even three boiling water applications.

Soak in 90% isopropyl alcohol for about 5 minutes to sterilize and dissolve whatever is left. Scrub again with the toothbrush. Rinse. If your razor has any bakelite parts you need to be careful because alcohol will mar them.

Polish with Noxon metal polish (available at Lowes and Home Depot) using a medium bristle toothbrush. Rinse with very hot water to remove any residue.

It takes a little bit of work but I have not met a razor yet that I couldn't clean with this method. If the razor has pitting or is missing some of its plating there is nothing that this or any other cleaning method can do about it. Make sure you wear rubber gloves as boiling water, alcohol, and Noxon are not the kinds of things you want in contact with your skin.

Dawn dishsoap and hot water, scrubbing bubbles, soft scrub, liquid bartenders friend all work.

maas metal polish cleans them up really nice also.

Wow... Talk about blast from the past! Is this the start of the zombie apocalypse? Do I need to get my shotgun and chainsaw?

Top Bottom