What's new

Do you really need adjustability in a razor? My answer is - NO.

think Matt of razor empo posed the same question in his review video of 6c/6s. So you are not alone :). to me it’s great to have an adjustable razor. Comes in handy during multiple passes, or if you have a raw face due to weather or mis adventure with feather and dry piece of crap soap the previous day and all you want is a touch up shave with a lower number or if you shave your head with a different number, or may be another family member wants to share (huh ?) Any number of reasons. it’s like having 6 razors with varying blade gaps! the gap adjustability is good to have when you are are trying out blades of different sharpness.

I don’t like the twist ring to adjust razors, or even some butterfly models which you can accidentally twist. But the Rockwell multi plate model works better for me.

A good shaver, in addition to basic understanding of things like proper prep has learned to modify technique to get optimum results from the razor at hand.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

This however doesn't negate the personal preference.

I can get a BBS quality shave with any razor that I have, but there are some I'd rather do it with. And at the present, I prefer moderately aggressive ones such as Variant at 3.5 and Maggard V3A over milder razors, because I can get the same BBS shave faster and with less cleanup using the same Feather blades. I can still get a BBS with the supermild Baili BD176, I just won't enjoy the process as much.

So, having a razor that I really like very much (Variant) being able to accomodate a wide variety of aggression settings is far better than buying different plates or same basic razor design in different levels of aggression just because my preferences change but I still want to use this particular razor. And it is much easier to experiment with different gaps and blades and techniques without accumulating a box full of razors that didn't quite work out.

In short, just because some people find adjustable razors are unnecessary for them, doesn't mean that they are useless for everyone and only exist to make up for the lack of skill.

This however doesn't negate the personal preference.

I can get a BBS quality shave with any razor that I have, but there are some I'd rather do it with. And at the present, I prefer moderately aggressive ones such as Variant at 3.5 and Maggard V3A over milder razors, because I can get the same BBS shave faster and with less cleanup using the same Feather blades. I can still get a BBS with the supermild Baili BD176, I just won't enjoy the process as much.

So, having a razor that I really like very much (Variant) being able to accomodate a wide variety of aggression settings is far better than buying different plates or same basic razor design in different levels of aggression just because my preferences change but I still want to use this particular razor. And it is much easier to experiment with different gaps and blades and techniques without accumulating a box full of razors that didn't quite work out.

In short, just because some people find adjustable razors are unnecessary for them, doesn't mean that they are useless for everyone and only exist to make up for the lack of skill.
How you use them and what you enjoy is indeed simply personal preference. I enjoy using my Apollo Mikron, vintage Merkur Progress , Famex adjustable, Gibbs Adjustable...in no particular order. My Gillette adjustables not much to be honest, mostly personal preference for greater exposure. People with different preference I'm sure will enjoy them more than I do. Likewise those who like to mess with adjustments.for whatever reason. It's just not something I like to do. If I want a particular mild shave for example I'll grab my Stahly rather than my Slim on 3 or whatever, because I get a much better (read efficient and smooth) shave from the Stahly. If I want aggressive likewise my Dart or Timeless or host of French razors do a much better job then my Gillette on 7-9. Not even close.

Last edited:
That’s very much a personal preference. So far, I just couldn’t find a razor that gave me a better shaving experience than the Variant, so being able to keep using it as my blade and shave closeness preferences changed was great.

E.g. I really like V3A, but if I decided to go back to a less aggressive style and V3A was my main razor, I’d have to buy another one just like it - probably V3 - and then it would likely be too mild, so I’d be looking for something in between with a very similar shaving character. With Variant, I just turn the dial a little.

I think it really depends on the razor. The Variant head is a copy of Mercur Progress, and there’s a reason it was so popular for sixty years.

That’s very much a personal preference. So far, I just couldn’t find a razor that gave me a better shaving experience than the Variant, so being able to keep using it as my blade and shave closeness preferences changed was great.

E.g. I really like V3A, but if I decided to go back to a less aggressive style and V3A was my main razor, I’d have to buy another one just like it - probably V3 - and then it would likely be too mild, so I’d be looking for something in between with a very similar shaving character. With Variant, I just turn the dial a little.

I think it really depends on the razor. The Variant head is a copy of Mercur Progress, and there’s a reason it was so popular for sixty years.
No arguments here, I love my Progress though I rarely change the settings. I love it in spite of it being adjustable, not because of it [emoji2].

proxy.php

Slim & Fat adjustables drove me nuts in my first couple years of DE. I found myself adjusting them every pass and still never found a setting I liked. One of best things I did to improve my shaves after two years of DE was to sell or PIF the adjustables and use the same fixed head DE until I got bored and was ready for a slightly more aggressive DE. After a few years of a '52 SS, then 5 years of only using a 34G, I've been using a GC 68 for the past year. I still rotate too many soaps and brushes, but I stick with one DE using one of 2 stockpiled blades.

I love my adjustable it gives the best shaves specifically if you use different settings on every pass less irritation an more bbs feel than sticking to one setting is what I have found.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Adjustables give you that ability to tune a razor but once done I don't change settings between passes. Sometimes I tweak it for different blades but generally stick to the same setting. I still can get a great shave from all my fixed position razors so in answer; yes sometimes useful to have adjustability but not essential.
However, like golf clubs, the same shaft flex and lie does not suit all but many adapt to a standard flex shaft. The keen get fitted for a suitable shaft flex. Hope you understand the analogy.

I use all my adjustables at the highest setting. I never change the setting. I guess I overpaid for each one based on the unnecessary engineering and production costs, but I enjoy my Mergress and Rex Ambassador.

I used a Super Adjustable and a Fatboy for a month straight trying out each setting. I didn't notice any setting getting a closer shave. However both were the most comfortable in the 5-7 range. Later I tried decreasing or increasing the setting on each pass and didn't notice any difference. Since then I set it and forget it on adjustable razors.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I started out with a Gillette Slim and I like adjustable razors, they can give a person more variety if you want to keep your # of razors to a minimal. I have a # of razors and still enjoy picking my adjustable's up and using for shave of the day (SOTD). Fixed razors are just as enjoyable to me because you know over time what to expect and they usually deliver excellent shaves. So finding your shave you desire is a interesting decision to think about before the shave starts.
Rons Adjustable razors! (2).jpg

Have some great shaves.

Last edited:
Need it? No. Nice? Yes. It changes the aggressives and effort to get a BBS shave. If your not particular, it doesn’t matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The main advantage of an adjustable to me is a question. How many of you have purchased an expensive 3-piece you thought you would like, only to find it didn't suit you - too mild, too aggressive, almost right but not quite, way off the mark? I didn't have to worry about that with my Rex. It's perfect. Because I adjusted it that way.

The main advantage of an adjustable to me is a question. How many of you have purchased an expensive 3-piece you thought you would like, only to find it didn't suit you - too mild, too aggressive, almost right but not quite, way off the mark? I didn't have to worry about that with my Rex. It's perfect. Because I adjusted it that way.
+1 from me! The adjustment dial on my Rex is like the gift that keeps on giving. Months after starting to use it, I started experimenting again and found new ways of getting even more out of it. My face can't handle too much aggression without getting irritated. I discovered I could get a much closer shave (without irritation) by dialing up for the last pass. Most posts I've seen--guys seem to go down for the later passes.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I am not sure it is quite as simple as that, for some people anyway, else everyone would set the adjustable how they like it and be totally satisfied. I have about a dozen razors and they vary from very mild to very aggressive and the challenge for me, and the thing that keeps the hobby interesting and fun, is trying to get a great shave with all of them, DE, SE, AC, and straight. I often choose the razor which currently offers my 'worst' shave so as to improve my technique with that razor. For me an effortless BBS shave with the same razor every day would be monotonous and boring. I guess I am less concerned with the final result as I am with enjoying the process. What you say makes perfect sense but I cannot escape the fact that I have tried several adjustables and they left me cold. I guess we are all seeking different things from our great hobby; I am happy you have found yours. 👍

I mean no offense but this question is like asking do you really need a razor to shave? Like I'm sure you can shave with a knife or dagger or glass. The answer is no you don't need an adjustable to shave. This depends on your face structure, whisker growth pattern,how much growth , skin sensibility, blade and aggressiveness as well as preference. For me depending on circumstances of my growth and face every pass I use a different setting. I have 2 main reasons,one to be more efficient and two 2 reduce any irritation especially on trouble spots and curves as being able to adjust to either go more efficient on those spots or if irritated get those trouble spots without causing your face to look like a tomatoe and also to avoid nicks. Also most guys on here don't bother with changing settings so in that sense it's pointless to have one. But if you want a more efficient and tailored shave it's a must.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Necessary? No. Desirable? Yes.
Blades range from mild to aggressive. Beards range from soft and fine to barbed wire. It's an advantage to be able to optimize the razor to match the shave.

Top Bottom