What's new

Do you really need adjustability in a razor? My answer is - NO.

For me the Gillette slim was a great choice while starting out because it helped me answer the question of whether I like mild or aggressive razors. The wolfman is so tempting but I have been able to hold off because I’m not yet ready to commit to one blade gap with confidence and the adjustable is helping me gain that confidence.

Yes. The best razors are adjustable.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

For me the Gillette slim was a great choice while starting out because it helped me answer the question of whether I like mild or aggressive razors. The wolfman is so tempting but I have been able to hold off because I’m not yet ready to commit to one blade gap with confidence and the adjustable is helping me gain that confidence.

This was my experience as well. I got a Slim early on and found I rarely went about 3 and never enjoyed it above 4 and like mild razors.

Over time though I found myself reaching for it less and less and actually just sold it.

I love my adjustable it gives the best shaves specifically if you use different settings on every pass less irritation an more bbs feel than sticking to one setting is what I have found.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk
I have the same experience. My closest shaves with zero irritation have been using vintage Gillette’s and Merkur Future with highest setting WTG, middle setting XTG and a lower setting ATG.

The success of rather a lot of non adjustable razors would be a clue as to whether adjustability is needed.
The success of quite a few adjustable razors does indicate adjustability is desirable enough to warrant making them.

Admittedly it I don’t use my adjustables much.
But I love the whole concept of them. A vintage a Slim or Fatboy in good condition is a beautiful thing. The metal dial with numbers on it is awesome.....!
BTW I’ve got 2 slims and a Fatboy in mint condition. I ought to use one again soon......

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Adjustable does help me explore my preferences and avoid buying a few razors to know that I like mildness or irritation. If our skin changes or disease due to age and season, adjustable is also a good idea.

In addition, having a popular adjustable or optional plates razor also helps to discuss the shaving degree of each razor in forums.

We not only enjoy the shaving process, but also the mechanical beauty of the razor. If the watch is only used to remind us to be chased by time, it will be a lot less fun in life.

They're particularly useful when trying to get a feel for a new type/brand of blade, and also if you're having a rough shave and you just want to dial way back and bring things in for a soft landing. So - I like adjust-ability. It's not a make or break feature for me but its certainly useful. I probably use adjustables a quarter to a third of the time and I like mine even if I don't adjust them throughout the shave. The Fatboy is a cool piece of kit. The weight and balance are second-nature to me at this point.

Top Bottom