What's new

Do you put anything on your face after shaving?

I haven’t used any kind of after shave lotion or whatever in over 30+ years using an electric shaver. What do the members here use after shaving with an electric or a blade? If you do use something is it for aroma, comfort or both?

I Thayers Witch Hazel since it is an antiseptic but doesn't burn. It also has some ingredients that are good for the skin. Plain grocery store 'splash on' after shave is a usually for the antiseptic property of the alcohol and the scent. They make a lot of after shave balms that are good for the skin and moisturize.

I normally shave with a safety razor or straight razor. I use an electric razor for trimming and shaping my beard.

I Thayers Witch Hazel since it is an antiseptic but doesn't burn. It also has some ingredients that are good for the skin. Plain grocery store 'splash on' after shave is a usually for the antiseptic property of the alcohol and the scent. They make a lot of after shave balms that are good for the skin and moisturize.

I normally shave with a safety razor or straight razor. I use an electric razor for trimming and shaping my beard.
Witch Hazel is a very old after shave product. I remember it was a standard in real barbershops as a youth when barbers used to offer shaves along with haircuts.

Witch Hazel is a very old after shave product. I remember it was a standard in real barbershops as a youth when barbers used to offer shaves along with haircuts.
I turned 30 in May, so I don't know as much about that. I think Thayers markets themself as a traditional shaving product.
Yep! (Just checked). Since 1847! I got my first bottle a couple weeks ago. Very little scent and doesn't burn like acid if you give yourself too rough a shave.
I also have some goat's milk lotion I bought from an Amish soap maker. I'm getting more interested in shaving products that are good for the skin.

Thayers is pretty inexpensive compared to a lot of post shave products.

IMG_20190701_200116.jpg

There are guys here that could write a dissertation on this stuff. They will probably chime in before long with better info!

Dickinson's + AS. Thayers works very well as a stand-alone, but the dog's breakfast of additives makes it not play nice with some aftershaves.

Dickinson's + AS. Thayers works very well as a stand-alone, but the dog's breakfast of additives makes it not play nice with some aftershaves.
I don’t like any type of aroma in aftershave. Do you use aftershave to heal your face or for the odor?

Tradition says you want some mind of an astringent to disinfect any nick or cuts you may get while shaving. For some thats an aftershave splash with alcohol or something like witch hazel, that is a bit more gentle than an alcohol splash is.
Some like balms too, which dont have the sting of alcohol and are better at mositurizing your skin and helping it heal after the trauma of shaving.
Thayer's is good stuff and is probably the best witch hazel you can buy, although it is a bit pricey for what it is. Ive used the unscented astringent and the rosepetal toner. I didnt much line the rosepetal toner. I didnt like the scent and found it to be kind of sticky on my skin. The unscented astringent was good stuff though, I just like something with a bit more of a scent.
What you use is really more of a personal preference and what you like. Some like a splash and some who suffer with dry skin or razor burn like the moisturizing properties of a balm. Some also change it up and use a splash in the summer and a balm in the winter when their skin needs a bit more moisturizing.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
When I regularly used an electric. I used Williams 'Lectric shave and shaved before my shower, after shower no aftershave or anything. My face was fine.

Now with wet shaving I shave after a shower and always use an AS or Balm of some sort. My skin needs it more after wetshaving than with the electric.

Were I to use electric today, I'd still shave before the shower because I've found that electrics suck if you shave on hydrated skin such as after a shower or any damp skin for that matter. I would however use an AS because I've grown to like them.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I turned 30 in May, so I don't know as much about that. I think Thayers markets themself as a traditional shaving product.
Yep! (Just checked). Since 1847! I got my first bottle a couple weeks ago. Very little scent and doesn't burn like acid if you give yourself too rough a shave.

I like Thayers if I tear myself up, but after a good shave I use regular cheap witch hazel with the normal 10-14% alcohol. I normally don't use the Thayers as I dislike the aloe, it makes my face feel sticky the rest of the day, but will use it if I have a lot of irritation as it does help with that. I've since found balms that work as well as the Thayers and don't leave me feeling sticky.

Which additives do that?

I like Thayers if I tear myself up, but after a good shave I use regular cheap witch hazel with the normal 10-14% alcohol. I normally don't use the Thayers as I dislike the aloe, it makes my face feel sticky the rest of the day, but will use it if I have a lot of irritation as it does help with that. I've since found balms that work as well as the Thayers and don't leave me feeling sticky.
Haven't had an issue with it feeling sticky, but I guess that's a good thing!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Ok, what is a YMMV thing?

You will see it literally everywhere on the site. YMMV Your Mileage May Vary

Meaning what I like, you may not and vice versa. Lots of things about shaving are subjective.

Not sure where you are from, but long ago in the U.S. Car makers ran ads touting certain fuel efficiency in their cars. At the end of the commercial they covered their behind with the statement "your mileage my vary".

Tradition says you want some mind of an astringent to disinfect any nick or cuts you may get while shaving. For some thats an aftershave splash with alcohol or something like witch hazel, that is a bit more gentle than an alcohol splash is.
Some like balms too, which dont have the sting of alcohol and are better at mositurizing your skin and helping it heal after the trauma of shaving.
Thayer's is good stuff and is probably the best witch hazel you can buy, although it is a bit pricey for what it is. Ive used the unscented astringent and the rosepetal toner. I didnt much line the rosepetal toner. I didnt like the scent and found it to be kind of sticky on my skin. The unscented astringent was good stuff though, I just like something with a bit more of a scent.
What you use is really more of a personal preference and what you like. Some like a splash and some who suffer with dry skin or razor burn like the moisturizing properties of a balm. Some also change it up and use a splash in the summer and a balm in the winter when their skin needs a bit more moisturizing.
Thanks for the history of aftershave products. I knew that blade shaving can be rough on the face including occasional small nicks and cuts. Some men may want to use an after shave product after using an electric shaver because of skin irritation. I shave completely dry first thing in the morning and shower afterwards. By shaving without any preshave product or liquids I get a close, comfortable and irritation free shave. I haven’t found an aftershave with a fragrance that I like.

You will see it literally everywhere on the site. YMMV Your Mileage May Vary

Meaning what I like, you may not and vice versa. Lots of things about shaving are subjective.

Not sure where you are from, but long ago in the U.S. Car makers ran ads touting certain fuel efficiency in their cars. At the end of the commercial they covered their behind with the statement "your mileage my vary".
Thanks for the translation. I remember those gas mileage claims in car commercials. Obviously, everything is subjective when it comes to shaving and shaving products.

I use water nine days out of ten. One day, I use a bit of Mennen Skin Bracer. I like how it stings on micro-nicks. Problem is, I seldom get even micro-nicks anymore.

I use a couple drops of aloe vera skin lotion followed by an aftershave following my shave and shower.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

I use my aftershave of choice for the day which is usually one of either Stirling, Fine or Captain's Choice. Let it dry and then some Nivea sensitive post shave balm. Unscented, alcohol free and doesnt interfere with my aftershave.

Top Bottom