What's new

do you prefer de/se razors that are on the lighter or heavier side?

how many lord de razors are there? noticed them cheap on amazon when i was having a browse around...
There’s the Lord L6, a Merkur clone, the L5, a Tech clone and the Racer/Smart, a plastic-metal two piece. They are all excellent razors. I do not recommend the Clic, an all plastic razor that doesn’t shave very well. Theoretically there’s the L7, an L6 with a heavy handle. It’s shown on the Lord website but has never been in stock, to my knowledge.

Reactions: saj
There’s the Lord L6, a Merkur clone, the L5, a Tech clone and the Racer/Smart, a plastic-metal two piece. They are all excellent razors. I do not recommend the Clic, an all plastic razor that doesn’t shave very well. Theoretically there’s the L7, an L6 with a heavy handle. It’s shown on the Lord website but has never been in stock, to my knowledge.
thanks for that mate, might look into getting some

75g seems to be the sweet spot for me. I have one razor I like a lot that’s 100g but that’s really pushing it. I’d like to get a ti handle for it at some point.

Mid weight razors are my preference, but I have some heavier razors that I like to use as well. Don't really like lightweight razors as I tend to over compensate the lack of weight with using too much pressure.

I learned DE shaving on a heavy Parker razor. I guess since I learned on that, I tend to prefer heavier and larger razors. Last year I got into vintage Gillette razors. They seemed tiny at first, but I'm getting there. I haven't actually shaved with a DE more than a handful of times anyway in the past year, but I do prefer the heavier weight and longer handles. I'm also 6'4", weigh 260, and have pretty large hands. That probably factors in a bit.

For me qshsve works between 2-3
And if you like a futul (qshave) get a snmirn (futul mk2) it’s magnetic cap is quirky at first but it shaves even better. I got a second one for holidays because it is very forgiving which blade is used. It is a little bit less aggressive so I run it at 3-4.

The advantage of the parker adjustable is the grippy handle
But I like snmirn and qshave more.
got a snmirn on its way, although i ordered from amazon uk,
it seems to be a third party seller but its going to take about 2 weeks to come,
so i wouldnt be surprised if its just coming straight from china?

thanks for the recommendations and i also saw it on kevy shaves youtube channel, looks like a good razor

I have a range of weights in razors from bakelite to a massive RR SS Bazooka handle that tips the scale at an impressive 160g (5.6oz) so a SS head will likely push the weight to around 180g (6.3oz) to 200g (7oz). I do tend to like heavier razors but they also need to be well balanced.

As for DE vs SE, it depends on my mood but I almost always favour DE. I rarely use SE anymore, except for one of my injectors because I find the GEMs a little too bulky. However, SEs will blow DEs out of the water for efficient shaves because the blades are thicker and more rigid. So if you want an easy BBS shave SE is the way to go. I'm tempted to try a One Blade or one of the newer SEs but have yet to pull the trigger.

My preference so far are razors wih handles weighing in the area of 80g with razor heads weighing roughly 25g. My current daily driver is a WCS 79BR with a Fendrihan Kingston. I guess that puts me on the heavier razor end of the spectrum.

That said, I absolutely love the Lord L5, which is significantly lighter. It's so well balanced that it shaves like a heavier razor without needing to add additional pressure/force.

got a snmirn on its way, although i ordered from amazon uk,
it seems to be a third party seller but its going to take about 2 weeks to come,
so i wouldnt be surprised if its just coming straight from china?

thanks for the recommendations and i also saw it on kevy shaves youtube channel, looks like a good razor
I wish you a great experience just as I have.

not everyone likes the razor though. Someone complained about an askew blade and another about a loose magnet. So far I have two ordered months separate and both are good looking and shaving.
this morning was with a tatra blade. Which shaved good but not as nice as a Wizamet.

have 🤩

Attachments

• 4B62FB0C-103A-4F9C-BE1F-5E36C334A660.jpeg
    4B62FB0C-103A-4F9C-BE1F-5E36C334A660.jpeg
    7.8 MB · Views: 3
I wish you a great experience just as I have.

not everyone likes the razor though. Someone complained about an askew blade and another about a loose magnet. So far I have two ordered months separate and both are good looking and shaving.
this morning was with a tatra blade. Which shaved good but not as nice as a Wizamet.

have 🤩
i thought for a tenner ill give it a go, being adjustable might be a bit more play with it too

For the money it is a great razor. And I use it mostly between 2-3
yea looks and sounds good for the money but i wont be able to have an opinion on it until i give it a whizz myself,
hopefully will be here within two weeks or so

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Can't say that I have a preference, but mastering the all-brass Hone Type 15 at nearly 200 grams (if I recall correctly) did take some practice.

Clearly, the folks at Hone must have gotten some pushback on the razor's weight, as they have introduced an aluminum model.

The Hone aside, most of my razors fall into the 100 gram or so weight class (which, I believe, is where most razors tend to fall), save for a Lord L6 at 48 grams.

Top Bottom