What's new

do you prefer de/se razors that are on the lighter or heavier side?

is this the snmirn youre on about mate? if so, is it heavier or about the same weight as the qshave?
also is it more aggressive then the qshave would you say as it has 1-8 settings and the qshave has only 1-6 settings

proxy.php
It is about the same weight I would say a little bit less agressive and easier shaver as the qshave

Reactions: saj
hey people so i was curious do you prefer de/se razors that are on the lighter or heavier side?

i ask because i got the fatip grande open de razor the other day i'm yet to use it,
however its 100g and i absolutely love the weight or it, also the feel and look of the razor

so yea it got me thinking as to whether i like lighter or heavier razors,
honestly im a bit undecided but i think im starting to incline towards the heavier side,
not sure it thats because im a head shaver or not? i dont know

would be interested to see what you lot prefer and why

thanks saj :)
A face but not head-shaver reporting in here.

Heavy and efficient is great for pass 1 (mostly north to south, WTG for me).

For shaving ATG (mostly south to north), all that weight suddenly becomes a liability. It's like trying to write with too heavy a fountain pen — the weight starts to interfere with your fine motor control.

I've tried using two razors, an open comb GC.84 with Bulldog handle (>100g) for p1, and safety bar GC.68 with Al handle (52g) for the ATG and cleanup phase, and that works extremely well, but my inner minimalist would be happier with a one-razor solution.

Will be splitting the difference, and trying the GC.68 SB head on a Ti handle (69g). It only has to deal with one day's growth, so the milder razor should be enough.

In the spirit of "give them your raw data", configurations I have tried:

Game Changer (head) with RR Bulldog Handle: 103g
Game Changer with Windrose RA3 Al handle: 52g (AKA the 'Starving Sparrow')
Game Changer with Windrose RA3 Ti handle: 69g
6S with original handle: 118g
6S with Windrose RA3 Ti handle: 88g

Cool, those are good prices here in the uk too
12 euro from Ali including box and the blades are not bad either (prefer wizamet though)

And though the base plate is still merkur the rest is own design
Some had quality issues mines seem ok

Attachments

• 8CCED3BF-BAD6-4EA6-A5D4-7382B3C9C0B6.jpeg
    8CCED3BF-BAD6-4EA6-A5D4-7382B3C9C0B6.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 9AF04BAA-148B-4EF2-B335-F60EE6BFB6BC.jpeg
    9AF04BAA-148B-4EF2-B335-F60EE6BFB6BC.jpeg
    375.4 KB · Views: 6
Light. I have a bunch of Ti handles for my various modern razor heads. Short (3"/75mm) and skinny (3/8" / 8-9mm) also help in making things more nimble.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
My regular razors are mid-weights: Mamba, Feather AS-D2, Lupo, Oristo.

The only exception is a Hone Type 15, which, I believe, weighs in at 180 grams. That one took some practice to master, as its balance point is directly beneath the head. Once I adjusted my grip, the razor handled like a Ferrari, rather than a Peterbilt.

i ask because i got the fatip grande open de razor the other day i'm yet to use it, however its 100g and i absolutely love the weight or it...
The Fatip Grande weighs around 65-70g, so more in the medium category, similar to some vintage Gillettes.

I've come around to preferring razors in this weight category. They feel more nimble and maneuverable than the heavier ones do.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I love my light razors, light and mild. Aluminum is right down my alley, a Standard razor is right up there for me as are Hawk v2 etc. The Timeless aluminum I need to try again, it was too aggressive first try, but I wanna try again with a little more patience. I also have another aluminum razor coming that I can't wait to try.

I like the full range! :clap: :clap: :clap:

My ‘daily driver’ is a heavy SS Wolfman. My ‘travel’ razor is a light Lord L6.

I like the full range! :clap: :clap: :clap:

My ‘daily driver’ is a heavy SS Wolfman. My ‘travel’ razor is a light Lord L6.
how many lord de razors are there? noticed them cheap on amazon when i was having a browse around...

In general I prefer heavier razors. But sometimes a razor can feel too heavy. Those Windrose handles mentioned above can be very heavy (I have two and find them both heavy). Whatever the Tatara Masamune and Karve Bronze weigh is perfect IMO. They are on the heavier side, I believe.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
how do you mean mate?

are you saying better technique is suited to heavier weight or vice versa?

Not better, just different. When I first got my Wolfman with the heaviest handle it was a little to aggressive for me. But instead of buying a lighter handle to match my technique, I learned a different technique of using even less pressure. Now I love that heavy handle.

Top Bottom