What's new

do you prefer de/se razors that are on the lighter or heavier side?

hey people so i was curious do you prefer de/se razors that are on the lighter or heavier side?

i ask because i got the fatip grande open de razor the other day i'm yet to use it,
however its 100g and i absolutely love the weight or it, also the feel and look of the razor

so yea it got me thinking as to whether i like lighter or heavier razors,
honestly im a bit undecided but i think im starting to incline towards the heavier side,
not sure it thats because im a head shaver or not? i dont know

would be interested to see what you lot prefer and why

thanks saj :)

I was convinced heavy is the ticket, with a Progress and Karve as good examples - but then I got a Lupo with a titanium handle, and it is sublime.

so my answer is “it depends”.

I dont think weight is a determinate of a great shave
damn i forgot to add a poll on the thread

not heard of the lupo tbh, is it classed as the higher end of de razors?

While I’m by no means an expert, I’ve had razors fall into 3 big bins.

Light: <50g (PAA El Fantasma comes most easily to mind; plastic, Bakelite, and some aluminum razors)

Medium: 70-90g (the range of vintage Gillettes and Modern Titanium razors)

Heavy: 100g + (many modern stainless steel razors).

As for preference, depends on my mood I guess since I have razors in each of the 3 categories that I love and could happily use daily.

I prefer my Rockwell 6S to all of the others that I have, and it is the only heavy razor. So I guess I would have to say heavy. The weight is not really the determining factor to me. For me it’s handle length. I like them long.

Reactions: saj
I prefer a slightly wider and slightly heavier handle, because those characteristics jack-up the aggression and efficiency a bit when shaving my tough whiskers.

While I’m by no means an expert, I’ve had razors fall into 3 big bins.

Light: <50g (PAA El Fantasma comes most easily to mind; plastic, Bakelite, and some aluminum razors)

Medium: 70-90g (the range of vintage Gillettes and Modern Titanium razors)

Heavy: 100g + (many modern stainless steel razors).

As for preference, depends on my mood I guess since I have razors in each of the 3 categories that I love and could happily use daily.
hmmm isnt it interesting that the vintage gillettes fall into the medium categary yet seem to be the most popular vintage de razors

In general I prefer heavy razors such as the Parker variant.

But I like them head heavy balanced.
never used a parker and dontknow much about them, so which ones specifically or you mean the whole parker range as a whole?

I prefer my Rockwell 6S to all of the others that I have, and it is the only heavy razor. So I guess I would have to say heavy. The weight is not really the determining factor to me. For me it’s handle length. I like them long.
yea heard and read good things about the rockwell razors

is it a long handle the rockwell razor?

never used a parker and dontknow much about them, so which ones specifically or you mean the whole parker range as a whole?
Sorry Parker adjustable (influenced by merkur progress)

And if you like heavy adjustable s

Qshave adjustable (merkur futur copy)

Snmirn adjustable

Sorry Parker adjustable (influenced by merkur progress)

And if you like heavy adjustable s

Qshave adjustable (merkur futur copy)

Snmirn adjustable
yea i got the qshave adjustable, love the weight and the razor as a whole, still havent figure dout which setting i like the best though

yea i got the qshave adjustable, love the weight and the razor as a whole, still havent figure dout which setting i like the best though
For me qshsve works between 2-3
And if you like a futul (qshave) get a snmirn (futul mk2) it’s magnetic cap is quirky at first but it shaves even better. I got a second one for holidays because it is very forgiving which blade is used. It is a little bit less aggressive so I run it at 3-4.

The advantage of the parker adjustable is the grippy handle
But I like snmirn and qshave more.

For me qshsve works between 2-3
And if you like a futul (qshave) get a snmirn (futul mk2) it’s magnetic cap is quirky at first but it shaves even better. I got a second one for holidays because it is very forgiving which blade is used. It is a little bit less aggressive so I run it at 3-4.

The advantage of the parker adjustable is the grippy handle
But I like snmirn and qshave more.

is this the snmirn youre on about mate? if so, is it heavier or about the same weight as the qshave?
also is it more aggressive then the qshave would you say as it has 1-8 settings and the qshave has only 1-6 settings

proxy.php

Top Bottom