What's new

Do you MATCH up your products?

I definitely prefer to match them. I don't keep a soap if I love the scent, and if I love the scent, I have the matching splash for sure! Sometimes that's not possible, like with Mikes soaps, then I just pair a splash scent that has a similar profile. Or when in doubt, I just splash on some Clubman or Special Reserve

I have a few matching sets, but don't actively match them up. I tend to mix because the scent of the soap will fade rather quickly and not be of concern. The scent of a soap is just a nice extra, the performance is what concerns me. With the aftershave the scent is much more important.

For a generic balm that is neutral and will go with most stuff it's hard to beat the inexpensive Nivea sensitive balm.
Nivea,” huh? 🤔

Keeps coming up on this site, so it must be good.

Think I’ll buy a bottle for when I’m using some unique, crazy scent for a soap/cream that’s hard to AUTOMATICALLY match. 😉

While it does sound fun, this is something I have never actually done.
Nivea,” huh? 🤔

Keeps coming up on this site, so it must be good.
It is good in my experience. Not just, "good for what you're paying" good, it's just a flat out really good ASB. While there are variations, I use the "Sensitive" version. They have a Sensitive 'Cooling' version I intend to try at some point.
Nivea ASB.jpg

While it does sound fun, this is something I have never actually done.

It is good in my experience. Not just, "good for what you're paying" good, it's just a flat out really good ASB. While there are variations, I use the "Sensitive" version. They have a Sensitive 'Cooling' version I intend to try at some point.
View attachment 1282581
NO scent, right? 🤔

NO scent, right? 🤔
I wouldn't say you can't smell anything from it and the label does list "Fragrance". That being said the scent is very light to my nose.

Water, Glycerin, Cyclopentasiloxane, Panthenol, Distarch Phosphate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Triceteareth-4 Phosphate, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Bisabolol, Propylene Glycol, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Allantoin, Citric Acid, Ethoxydiglycol, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Fragrance.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Both. I don't have a matching splash for many soaps/creams that I have. However, for example, if I use a Bay Rum soap, I'll try to use a Bay Rum splash. Same goes for barbershop, tropical, spice...whatever the scent profile is. Sometimes scents will work even if they're not an exact match...for example, if I shaved with WSP Blackbeard, a cherry vanilla tobacco scented soap, I could use a barbershop or a spice splash with that...or I could use the matching splash...either would work. But what I wouldn't do is use WSP Blackbeard and then use a bright citrus scented aquatic splash...that might clash. The saving grace with this is...most soap/cream scents don't last much beyond the shave. I may have one soap that stayed with me for a couple of hours outisde the bathroom...I think it was Alexander Simpson Bay Rum shave cream.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I've gone through a few bottles of Nivea ASB and someone should check to see if it's nothing but watered-down Nivea hand cream.

Not knocking it. Works. But is seems any hotel hand cream works as an ASB when I'm traveling.

AA

I’m not big on heavy scents. My soaps are generally mildly scented, my AS too. And these days I’m simply not at all likely to wear any AS. I don’t do pairs.

Soaps: Mike’s coconut and Orange, cedarwood, pepper. Speick, Hasslinger Aloe Vera, MWF, and I Coloniali.

AS: Royal Lyme (general use), Speick (for rough shaves), TOBS Eton College (professional), Invisible Author’s Memoirs of a Trespasser (a heavy hitter with scent strength, special occasions)

more often the not, the soap scents are just fine by me (and my ex who is hypersensitive to scents) and I don’t need more.

I usually prefer to mix. Some of you may remember in the '70s, among audiophiles it was a point of honor to have each of your components, receiver, turntable, equalizer, speakers, etc., be from a different manufacturer. Some of that still bounds around in the back of my mind.

Italian razor + German soap, or vice versa, is fun to do. Occasionally I will pair the Proraso Green cream with the Proraso Green aftershave, but just as often I'll use the Red AS, or Clubman Special Reserve, or right now the samples I have from Chiseled Face.

I generally mix and match my soaps and ASB. I do have one custom scented ASB that’s a combination of Silver Mountain Water FO and Aventus FO that works well together and matches well with my Stirling mountain man and executive man soaps

I generally mix and match my soaps and ASB. I do have one custom scented ASB that’s a combination of Silver Mountain Water FO and Aventus FO that works well together and matches well with my Stirling mountain man and executive man soaps
“CUSTOM scented?” 🤔

“CUSTOM scented?” 🤔
Yeah. There’s a place here where I live that allows you to custom blend scents for various things like cologne or ASB among other things. There’s been some talk about them closing but I haven’t seen any announcements on their Facebook page, website or other social media but that doesn’t necessarily mean they haven’t. But then again there was a post on Facebook from them four days ago so they might still be open. I might have to try and go by their location to see what’s going on

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I don't. Soap scents are fleeting, and since I use an unscented balm (CeraVe Moisturizer) in lieu of an ASL. there's really nothing to match. The only frag I leave the house with is my EDT or EDP.

No matching here. I have a couple different soaps I like and use them based on whimsey with no real pattern to it. Same brush and blade. Same razor. I have a couple of aftershaves I do alternate.

Top Bottom