What's new

Do you MATCH up your products?

So, I’m building up my soap “library,” puck by puck (actually, sample by sample, for now).

Just curious - do you MATCH your products, as in, do you use a “Stirling” Lime soap, followed by a “Stirling” Lime balm, or do you mix and match?

As someone who’s essentially starting out as a serious “WS,” I look forward to eventually amassing a large collection of various types of soaps and creams.

Not sure if I need to buy the matching balm for each of those products.

If not, is there a GENERIC balm you can recommend that can be used with everything, or should I just try to match scent “families” (citrus w/citrus, barbershop w/barbershop, etc.)

thx for your input, gents! 💈😶‍🌫️

I have a couple of "sets":
  • Tabac soap, aftershave, and eau de cologne,
  • Storybook Soap works Midnight Embers soap and aftershave, and
  • 4711 aftershave and eau de cologne (wish they made a shave soap).
But I also have a variety of aftershaves (Clubman, TOBS Eaton College, Hazlett's Apothecary 1888, Old Spice Classic) that I mix and match with my solo soaps (MWF, Arko, Mogno, WK Fougere Bouquet, WK Fougere Mania, XPEC Original).

But ... I wish I had sets for some of those solo soaps. WK Fougere Bouquet and WK Fougere Mania in particular...

I try to match soaps with the corresponding AS. I like the scents of the sopas I use, and prefer to compliment that by using the matching AS.

I used to mix more often but found that I would lose the scent of the soap right after the shave by applying a different AS. To me it kind of defeated the purpose of have a great scented soap.

I try to match soaps with the corresponding AS. I like the scents of the sopas I use, and prefer to compliment that by using the matching AS.

I used to mix more often but found that I would lose the scent of the soap right after the shave by applying a different AS. To me it kind of defeated the purpose of have a great scented soap.
So, which “sopas” did you prefer - “arroz con pollo,” or “birria de rey?” 🍲😳

(Sorry, couldn’t resist some TYPOGRAPHICAL humor there! 😆)

I match category.
For example I like to use henri et victoria cognac tobacco soap with chiseled face Sherlock splash.
The CF splash has tobacco, earth and leather nicely layered in.
I wouldn't mix English leather lime AS with tobacco soap, but like it with most bay rum scents.
There are no rules obviously, but think like a chef and get creative like flavor profiles.

Have fun, don't get caught!

Sometimes I use matching products from La Toja, Fine, Sterling, or Cella.

More often I mix and match depending on my mood! :a21:

I have a few matching sets, but don't actively match them up. I tend to mix because the scent of the soap will fade rather quickly and not be of concern. The scent of a soap is just a nice extra, the performance is what concerns me. With the aftershave the scent is much more important.

For a generic balm that is neutral and will go with most stuff it's hard to beat the inexpensive Nivea sensitive balm.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I like to match, but I'm missing a lot of the aftershaves.

If I don't have the matching aftershave, I find B&M reserve classic goes along well (IMO) with every soap I own.

I tend to get the matching set when available because if some is good, more is better :p But also because I lack creativity and scent sense. However some really great soaps don't have matching splashes (or are themselves effectively unscented) so reading B&B has helped me over time learn some likely pairings as well as the general themes of scents so as to venture a freelance pairing. I also have unscented balm for those times when I don't want to step on a particularly lasting or unique soap or want recovery more than scent. I use Zingari Man Sego Unscented Balm those days.

I think mixing and matching is more fun, interesting and economical. As long as you do not create a total clash, anything goes in my book.

Soaps are not colognes just because they have a scent "inspired" by a cologne. The soap scent is not intended to last very long. Matching soap and aftershave is really just a way to sell you more products. I make a few exceptions just because the aftershave product is really good (like Speick splash or Pre de Provence balm).

If you want to keep it simple, Nivea balm goes with most everything. I found splashes like Proraso green, Speick or La Toja will go with the majority of scents I use.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Sets are fine, but so is going off-road.

Sudsy "Cola" soap with Pinaud Sweet Rum AS is one I like - rum & coke!

And throwing Myrsol "Plastic" over anything makes it more interesting!

AA

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Buy one of everything and you'll have all bases covered. Be sure to back up each item you purchase, however. The best policy is to have one of each product on the counter ready for action, another on deck, a third one in the hold, and a few more (of each type and variety) in the magazine.

Top Bottom