What's new

Do You Loosen The Handle Lock On A Gillette Adjustable Before Changing The Setting?

Is it less wearing on a Gillette Adjustable mechanism if you loosen the handle lock before changing the setting?

I have seen a couple of references explicitly recommending loosening the mechanism before upping or downing the setting.

However, I have never seen any mention of it in contemporary instruction leaflets.

Any thoughts Gents?

What I have picked up is that it can't hurt to unlock the doors by backing off the half turn. I do it because a) it is not a hassle, and b) I want the razor to last at least as long as it already has (not that I will be around for that length of time).

I also only typically change the setting once per shave (if that), so I'm less inconvenienced than someone that might be dialing it up and down every pass.

In any event, I'm in good company. 85% of B&B'ers agree :)

Yes. After my shave too.

No reason not to loosen it.

Instructions don't mention it while adjusting but do recommend after you're done shaving.

Instructions-01.jpg

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
No need to loosen the TTO knob. If it wears out the razor when you change the setting without opening up then I must have a lot of worn out adjustables.

It doesn't matter according to guys who work on them like Captain Murphy.

If they needed to be open to prevent damage, I'm sure Gillette would have warned in the instructions against changing the setting with the blade clamped down fully. And there would be many broken and worn Fatboys & Slims out there.

It probably wouldn't hurt to loosen the knob if you're worried about it though, it's your razor. To me, it seems like repeated tightening and loosening of the TTO knob could be more wearing. :001_unsur

Interesting. When I started shaving in the late 60's no mention was ever made of loosening the top before adjusting, not even in the instructions. The suggestion to loosen the top after shaving was in order to get out the remaining hair, soap, and water, if any.

Cool thread. I've enjoyed the discussion.

I always loosen when changing setting (slim 1961, first production year i think). But i never loosen for storing between shaves. It seems the instructions only say to loosen after shaving to clean out i guess. This thing gets confusing for me now.

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 8.58.00 AM.png

The instructions for that 1.95 say to loosen so it can be rinsed out and the moisture shaken out. Maybe there are some instructions for another razor that say the head must be loosened before adjusting? Could it have been a non-Gillette at some point that got transferred over to Gillette in the popular consciousness? I have no idea.

Is it less wearing on a Gillette Adjustable mechanism if you loosen the handle lock before changing the setting?

I have seen a couple of references explicitly recommending loosening the mechanism before upping or downing the setting.

However, I have never seen any mention of it in contemporary instruction leaflets.

Any thoughts Gents?
I always loosen before adjusting and I always leave my adjustables unlocked, after cleaning, until the next shave. I think it might keep the strength up in the spring, but physics wise, not sure if it matters at all.

lasta

Blade Biter
I changed the setting twice during the past 17 years! Switched from 7 to 6, then to 5.

IIRC, I changed while the doors are open.

Thanks Nemo for bringing up that post by Captain Murphy. I was going to do the same.

The instructions for the Fat Boy, Slim, and Superadjustable never mentioned a requirement to loosen the doors to adjust it. It has become internet lore that you should do it, but it is something that someone dreamed up contrary to any instructions from the manufacturer or any reasonable sources to support that position, and repeated often enough that it is taken as the truth.

Top Bottom