What's new

Do you like samples?

I'm one of those who love samples!! I got hooked when I participated in @dfoulk's mind-blowing Soap Sample Passaround!! There were over 400 different samples to try split over 5 boxes!! I still use the same method of trying cream and soap samples that I learned during the passaround (scoop out product, smear into lather bowl, whip up lather)!! I've ordered samples from Stone Cottage Soap Works, Groomatorium, and Maggards, and have been very pleased with each of their products and service!!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm one of those who love samples!! I got hooked when I participated in @dfoulk's mind-blowing Soap Sample Passaround!! There were over 400 different samples to try split over 5 boxes!! I still use the same method of trying cream and soap samples that I learned during the passaround (scoop out product, smear into lather bowl, whip up lather)!! I've ordered samples from Stone Cottage Soap Works, Groomatorium, and Maggards, and have been very pleased with each of their products and service!!
I wonder how David is doing? I never got into that pass around.... A nice Gent!

I wonder how David is doing? I never got into that pass around.... A nice Gent!
These B&B Legends are still hanging around and I am glad for it!! I have learned so much from them and still use what they taught me!! When I get samples, I still use the technique for trying samples that I learned during the passarounds!!

And...in each box, there was a D/T salsa bowl...which worked so amazingly well that I went to D/T and purchased one of the very same (actually 2 since they came in a 2-Pack)...and still use near daily!!

I sample by buying a full tub of a base that looks promising in a scent that is generally well liked and matches what I think I will enjoy. If I like what I get I usually order at least a few more tubs from the same base because I am addicted to this aroma therapy and now I have enough soap to last me for a while. The worst that can happen is that over time I get bored with a soap and then it becomes a shower soap instead.

I sample by buying a full tub of a base that looks promising in a scent that is generally well liked and matches what I think I will enjoy. If I like what I get I usually order at least a few more tubs from the same base because I am addicted to this aroma therapy and now I have enough soap to last me for a while. The worst that can happen is that over time I get bored with a soap and then it becomes a shower soap instead.
This is more or less what I ended up doing.

I have a love hate relation with samples. Much of the time I find the sample isn't a good representation of how the actual soap will perform so then they're really just a fragrance sample. Which I don't mind, the fragrance is half of why I use a soap. But if all I'm sampling is fragrance then I'd rather get a fragrance card instead of a little soap container. Especially when you pay for that sample.

I think shaving soap samples are great to explore a scent or smell. To evaluate a brand's shaving soap base, perhaps not. Sometimes, you need enough to have 3-4-10 shaves to test that (Stirling Soap has it right here). At some point, you have to dive in. I see nothing wrong with using samples, the larger the better. On the other hand, that's what all of us B&B'ers are here for--unsolicited but always absolutely accurate opinions that never contradict each other!

I'm new to wet shaving and trying to fight off SAD but there are so many interesting artisan brands I want to try. I'm curious about everyone's opinions on samples? Do they provide the same experience/performance as a full tub? Would you prefer to get 4-5+ samples or a single full-size tub of something that sounds interesting for the same money?

Being new I don't really have scent/base preferences yet which is why I want to experiment. Sorry if this has already been discussed before; I couldn't really find anything relevant in a search.

Just for reference below is a list (in no particular order) of brands I want to try and scents that are intriguing based off of descriptions:
  • A&E - Asian Pear, SoCal Hipster
  • Southern Witchcrafts - Autumn Ash, Druantia
  • Zingari Man - Nomad, Explorer, Watchman
  • B&M - Lavanille, Bay Rum, Le Grand Chypre
  • Captain's Choice - Land Ho, Island Time
  • House of Mammoth - Alive, Hygge
I purchased a bunch of soap and aftershave samples from Southern Witchcrafts. They make fantastic soaps with very complex scent profiles. I’m using their products almost exclusively. Druantia is one of my favourites and am now on my second full tub.

I think a lot of B&B'ers go crazy with samples when they start wet shaving, I know I did. Some samples are very hard to get a good lather from, unless you totally smask them flat in a bowl or mug to make increase surface area. Rubbing them on your face like a shave stick is another option. But today, I avoid samples, to me they are best used for evaluating scents.
Head over to the 3017 thead, you'll get some good honest long term reviews of soaps.

Samples can drive a person nuts chasing scent after scent or trying to find the mythical lather that only leprechauns and unicorns 🦄 can bestow upon a shave soap. Best advice I can give is try an older well respected soap from Italy or Germany first before stepping off poolside. Personally, I avoid anything British nowadays after too many disappointing soaps and creams frI’m that side of the pond. Have fun and lather well.

I purchased a bunch of soap and aftershave samples from Southern Witchcrafts. They make fantastic soaps with very complex scent profiles. I’m using their products almost exclusively. Druantia is one of my favourites and am now on my second full tub.
You know, I have always ignored your love of this company(sorry). It's not that I didn't think that they could make a great soap, it's because I thought they were mostly just making a passable soap with really interesting scents. While I am not sure about the scents yet, you inspired me to finally pull out my sample and make a test lather. I got a hydration window between 9:1 and 13:1(yes that was on purpose) with a dry synthetic brush. I like the latherability so far and the resulting consistency, I am looking forward to seeing if it performs. I missed out on getting Arcane Abyss, but Grave Fruit has become available again so maybe I will order the larger samplers direct. I have secretly been following this company for a long time so thanks for pushing me over the edge!

You know, I have always ignored your love of this company(sorry). It's not that I didn't think that they could make a great soap, it's because I thought they were mostly just making a passable soap with really interesting scents. While I am not sure about the scents yet, you inspired me to finally pull out my sample and make a test lather. I got a hydration window between 9:1 and 13:1(yes that was on purpose) with a dry synthetic brush. I like the latherability so far and the resulting consistency, I am looking forward to seeing if it performs. I missed out on getting Arcane Abyss, but Grave Fruit has become available again so maybe I will order the larger samplers direct. I have secretly been following this company for a long time so thanks for pushing me over the edge!
You're very welcome! :). I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
Samhain is my ATF favorite and I shaved with today! A few weeks ago I sent @T Bone the Samhain soap and aftershave samples and he's another fan. :)

IMG_0513.jpg

I have a tub of SW Pomona but haven't used it yet. Might have to try it out tonight.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Samples can drive a person nuts chasing scent after scent or trying to find the mythical lather that only leprechauns and unicorns 🦄 can bestow upon a shave soap. Best advice I can give is try an older well respected soap from Italy or Germany first before stepping off poolside. Personally, I avoid anything British nowadays after too many disappointing soaps and creams frI’m that side of the pond. Have fun and lather well.

This is spot on - I've done samples for years, but am hard pressed to state what if any sample led me to a great soap ..I usually use them for the sniff test, then include next time I sell off a razor. But if you feel the need - Maggard's is probably the ticket .. or you might want to post a WTB in the BST, surely someone has what you think you need to try ..

Top Bottom