What's new

Do you leave the water running, or fill the sink?

Do you leave the water running, or fill the sink?

• I let that fresh hot water flow.

• One sinkful is enough for me.

• I'm indecisive and go both ways.

• I overflow the sink.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've seen people do it both ways, so I was interested in what the consensus is.

Now's the time to fess up. Are you environmentally sensitive, fill the sink and just use one sinkful of water, or do you abhor dipping your razor into a mirky creamy/soapy/stubble filled stew, and just let the water run?

I often fill the sink, but I also confess to just letting that hot water run on occasion.

-Nick

Nick said:
I've seen people do it both ways, so I was interested in what the consensus is.

Now's the time to fess up. Are you environmentally sensitive, fill the sink and just use one sinkful of water, or do you abhor dipping your razor into a mirky creamy/soapy/stubble filled stew, and just let the water run?

I often fill the sink, but I also confess to just letting that hot water run on occasion.

-Nick
The wishy washy option?:huh: (Pun intended)

I run the water when rinsing between passes. I let some water drain from the sink while doing this, but I definitely have the sink full so I can float my lather bowl to keep it warm. I'm not sure which answer fits me. Some of the above?

I used to fill the sink but after watching a special on 20-20, Dateline, or the like about bacteria in the household, I stopped. The guy they interviewed and tested sinks, toilets, countertops, etc in the homes for bacteria made the comment he'd rather drink from the toilet than the sink (although he was referring to the kitchen sink and the germs from old food, sponges, etc). While I don't let the water run the entire time I'm shaving, I do use running water to rinse my razor between passes with a quick flip of the handle turning it on, then back off. Paranoid? Maybe. Well, probably.

Jerry

I take somewhat of a middle ground. I think staring at a sink full of disgusting hair bits and lather is not a way I wish to begin the day, so I do not keep the sink full. As a half-measure of conservation, I only turn on the water to rinse my razor off, rather than leaving it running all the time.

I leave the water running but not full blast, I turn it down to less than halfway. This keeps the heat up and the water bills down. :biggrin:

Neither, and I DON'T GO BOTH WAYS!

That being said, I shave in the shower without regard to the environment. There's plenty of water already and I'm paying for it, if we run out, just make some more!!

I REFUSE TO ANSWER THAT TO INCRIMINATE ME.....

I usually use the same bowl of water for two passes and a fresh one for pass three...

rinsing the razor off in the bowl and finally under the faucet when i am through....

then that great cold splash !!!!!

mark tssb

Being very prone to skin infections....I let the water run. I slow it down some...but I cant go with a contaminated sink of water collecting dirt, grime, dead skin, and hair from my face.

I probably should clean my razor more than I do.

Wow, I must be "groomatically incorrect!" :scared:

I fill the basin so I can sit my mug into it to keep the lather warm. I keep it that way for all three passes, then I drain and wipe out the sink. Then I let the cold water run while I splash/rinse my face.

--Mark

When using a DE I fill the sink once to conserve water.

I use a folded wet towel to wipe my str8s between passes.

Rik said:
When using a DE I fill the sink once to conserve water.

I use a folded wet towel to wipe my str8s between passes.
Rik,
When I was a young and foolish fellow, I always used a piece of tissue paper to wipe my str8 clean between strokes... The crisper the better..

I'm with Rik. I run a sinkful and do with that during the shave, wiping my blade on a damp washrag folded in half on the counter edge. My bathroom is just about 14 miles from our hot water heater, so it takes a few minutes for hot water to get there. I also boil a hotpot full and dump about half into the sink as well, and only use that water to do my pre-shave hot towel soak, then rinses between lathers and passes. When I'm done, I use the sink water to rinse my brush while I wait on more hot water to get there. Then I do my final rinse and rinse my blade under the running water.

Jeff

Well, I can't really answer the poll question, because I don't fill up the sink but I don't let hot water flow, either. While shaving, I shut the water off, then turn on warm (not hot) water to rinse the razor as needed. Hot water makes the DE razor head quite toasty, and I don't care for the feeling of hot steel pressed against my face. (Ditto for cold water/cold steel.)

Mike

Running the water for 1-2 seconds a half dozen times to rinse the razor doesn't come anywhere near a sinkful of water. So I'm not sure you save water by filling the sink.

When I used to shave with an Atra, I used thick Noxzema cleansing cream to lather my face, and there is no way to swish that stuff from between the blades by swirling the razor in water. Therefore I developed a habit of using running water to rinse the blades.

With my reversion to mug, soap, and DE, I let the sink fill up to warm the mug, and use that water for rinsing also.

I am one of those people that turn the faucet on and off as required. If I need to rinse, I quickly turn on the tap and turn it off when done. A littlem more effort but I don't waste water.

There was no category for neither, so I didn't vote. I use my Hot Pot, fill it up and put my bowl of lather in it. I only use running water (few seconds) to wash the razor of the goo.

Wow! A poll from January 2006. When the poll started, I filled the sink. The water became too cold and murky somewhere in mid 2008. I switched to running the water, but only in brief spurts.

I am one of those people that turn the faucet on and off as required. If I need to rinse, I quickly turn on the tap and turn it off when done. A littlem more effort but I don't waste water.

+1 here, while DE shaving. While str8 shaving I only turn it on between passes or when done (I wipe the lather off the blade with a cloth). I guess that makes str8 shaving good for the environment!:tongue_sm

Top Bottom