What's new

Do you leave the water running, or fill the sink?

Do you leave the water running, or fill the sink?

• I let that fresh hot water flow.

• One sinkful is enough for me.

• I'm indecisive and go both ways.

• I overflow the sink.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I feel completely different leaving the hot water running, love it. The thing is a just leave a thin water thread running cross the sink, instead of a "Niagara thread"

Filling the sink method is not sanitary anyway. I just open the water but close it when I don't need it.

This is a 2006 thread by the way!

I used to fill the sink but after watching a special on 20-20, Dateline, or the like about bacteria in the household, I stopped. The guy they interviewed and tested sinks, toilets, countertops, etc in the homes for bacteria made the comment he'd rather drink from the toilet than the sink (although he was referring to the kitchen sink and the germs from old food, sponges, etc). While I don't let the water run the entire time I'm shaving, I do use running water to rinse my razor between passes with a quick flip of the handle turning it on, then back off. Paranoid? Maybe. Well, probably.

Jerry
Thats what I do know. I got tired of filling the sink up then cleaning it once it was full of hair and then refilling. No more of that.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've taken to keeping enough water in the sink to keep my ceramic Stef Baxter shaving bowl warm for my second and third passes/buffering. I don't have a scuttle... and this works better, I think... I have our hot water temp up there and the ceramic sink gets warmed up before I stopper the water. That keeps the shaving bowl nice and warm for the whole shave.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The navy taught me to get all my ablutions done using no more that 5 litres of water per day. It takes some training but it can be done.

I fill the sink with hot water, for the face wash and later face rinsing, but also fill a 1 litre polythene* container for razor rinsing.

Almost all of the stubble will end up in there, not in my face rinse water.. This is unpleasant stuff (tiny cylindrical bits of keratin sliced off at an angle, visualise it).

When I'm finished, I empty that mess into the toilet.

* Why polythene? I'm unlikely to damage the blade by dinging it on soft plastic.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I've seen people do it both ways, so I was interested in what the consensus is.

Now's the time to fess up. Are you environmentally sensitive, fill the sink and just use one sinkful of water, or do you abhor dipping your razor into a mirky creamy/soapy/stubble filled stew, and just let the water run?

I often fill the sink, but I also confess to just letting that hot water run on occasion.

-Nick

Hello Nick, how are things?

To answer your question, I fill my sink basin half way, and then stop. That is all the water that I require for the shaving. I can shave, rinse off my face, rinse out my brush, clean my shave bowl, all of that can be done with half a sink full. You'd be amazed how much you can accomplish, just by expressing a little water conservation. ;)

I've seen people do it both ways, so I was interested in what the consensus is.

Now's the time to fess up. Are you environmentally sensitive, fill the sink and just use one sinkful of water, or do you abhor dipping your razor into a mirky creamy/soapy/stubble filled stew, and just let the water run?

I often fill the sink, but I also confess to just letting that hot water run on occasion.

-Nick

None of the answers really describes how I do it.
In the end I chose the option that came the closest.

I (not quite) fill the sink for my (preshave) face wash, drain the water and wipe away the soap scum.
Then I fill the sink to the same level again and use that for my shave, as I do not like to use the water with the soap scum from my face wash for my shave.
Drain the basin, wipe it with the sponge again, fill the sink with some water to clean the brush and razor before I rinse my face with it.

Sounds more complicated than it really is and is the result of living for 34 years in a desert area.
As I never fill the sink completely, it saves water over the method where one leaves the tap running for the entire shave and still gives me reasonable fresh water to splash in my face.

B

I used to fill the sink but after watching a special on 20-20, Dateline, or the like about bacteria in the household, I stopped. The guy they interviewed and tested sinks, toilets, countertops, etc in the homes for bacteria made the comment he'd rather drink from the toilet than the sink (although he was referring to the kitchen sink and the germs from old food, sponges, etc).

I heard about that report too, but always took it to primarily relate to kitchen sinks.

As I clean the sink in my bathroom before and after the shave, don’t use that sink to dismember poultry :001_cool: or other germ riddled items, and shave only with running water in hotel rooms, I consider the risks minimal.

At least not higher than opening a door by touching the door knob, or picking up the phone in the office.

But of course, to each his own and it is not my intent to change the way how people do things they have gotten used to. :001_smile

B.

I fill my sink all the way up then use that water to rinse my razor and face as I shave. I don’t consider it to be unsanitary. I am an old school shaver, and enjoy using a basin full of very hot water to complete the task.

I fill my sink all the way up then use that water to rinse my razor and face as I shave. I don’t consider it to be unsanitary. I am an old school shaver, and enjoy using a basin full of very hot water to complete the task.
I too fill the sink with hot water, then set my deep sided bowl in the sink to keep the lather warm.
After shaving I drain the sink and rinse my face, razor, and brush in cold water. 😉

Top Bottom