What's new

Do you lather in a scuttle?

Do you make it a point to lather in your scuttle ?

• Yep!

Votes: 25 46.3%
  • Nope!

Votes: 29 53.7%

• Total voters
I got my hands on a Beautiful Georgetown Pottery scuttle after wanting one for years and just gave it a test run. I got a G12 which is large enough to whip later in, but the lather got very foamy for me when whipping up my shaving soap. I guess if the point of the scuttle is just to keep the brush warm, does anyone just face or palm lather , then drop the brush in? Or do you simply make it a point to drop it in the bowl? Is there an advantage as far as warmth if you lather in the bowl?

The purpose of a scuttle is to make warm lather. They do have brush scuttles but the G12 is not one of them. I make great lather in my G12. What kind of brush are you using, Boar, synthetic, badger?
Where's the picture of yours?

Lather_MWF.JPG

The purpose of a scuttle is to make warm lather. They do have brush scuttles but the G12 is not one of them. I make great lather in my G12. What kind of brush are you using, Boar, synthetic, badger?
Where's the picture of yours?

View attachment 1030463
I don’t think I follow . You say the purpose of a scuttle is to make warm lather but then say they have brush scuttles but the g12 is not one of them the. Say immediately after I make great lather in my G12. Highly contradictory.

Also , my scuttle is the exact same as yours.

I don’t think I follow . You say the purpose of a scuttle is to make warm lather but then say they have brush scuttles but the g12 is not one of them the. Say immediately after I make great lather in my G12. Highly contradictory.
Also , my scuttle is the exact same as yours.

They have scuttles that are just for keeping your brush warm. They are called brush scuttles. The G12 is to make warm lather which you then apply directly to your face. Nothing contradictory.
So your scuttle is the same color as mine?

They have scuttles that are just for keeping your brush warm. They are called brush scuttles. The G12 is to make warm lather which you then apply directly to your face. Nothing contradictory.
So your scuttle is the same color as mine?
Oh, yeah, missed that . Yes , the one I have is the exact same color as yours.

I do so to keep the lather warm. What is the purpose of a brush scuttle? It stays warm on a standard scuttle. The brush scuttles look light they might be handy for travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If my soap is softer, like the new DG Milksteak base, I will sometimes use my scuttle to load the brush after scooping some soap from the tub and smearing it in the bottom of the scuttle. After the brush is fully loaded, I proceed to build the lather on my face. Then I rest the lather-filled brush in the scuttle during my shaving passes, which keeps the lather kind of warm.

By the way, those GP scuttles do look very nice, but I fell in love with pottery artisan Steve Woodhead’s scuttles after seeing some pics on this forum. Check him out on Etsy.

Last edited:
If my soap is softer, like the new DG Milksteak base, I will sometimes use my scuttle to load the brush after scooping some soap from the tub and smearing it in the bottom of the scuttle. After the brush is fully loaded, I proceed to build the lather on my face. Then I rest the lather-filled brush in the scuttle during my shaving passes, which keeps the lather kind of warm.

By the way, those GP scuttles do look very nice, but I fell in love with pottery artisan Steve Woodhead’s scuttles after seeing some pics on this forum. Check him out on Etsy.
I’ will go with the original . OK, so noted unless you later in it, it won’t keep warm.

I’ will go with the original . OK, so noted unless you later in it, it won’t keep warm.

Sorry bud, you didn’t go with the original.....if you’re referring to Georgetown Pottery. The first shaving lather scuttle was the Moss Scuttle made by Sara Bonnyman Pottery. GP and others copied that design.

Sorry bud, you didn’t go with the original.....if you’re referring to GP. The first shaving lather scuttle was the Moss Scuttle made by Sara Bonnyman Pottery.
I mean the original , as in the first that had ever seen.

From my understanding, you should be able to lather in the scuttle but I have found most bowls don't have a good geometry for that, especially the scuttles. I'm a less is more kinda guy. I use my Captain's Choice shave bowl for creams , which is a killer lathering bowl, when I have to use one of my creams. Otherwise I'm usually lathering a thin film from a shave stick. I can dig the scuttles during the winter though, warm luxurious lather must be suh-weet!

I tried lathering in mugs, bowls, and even tiny crock pots to keep the lather warm, but face lathering and splashing the brush with a bit of hot tap water between passes is simple and works great.

I lather in the Woodhead scuttle and it keeps the lather warm for all passes. I also spend about 3 minutes on the first lather working the lather on the face and adjusting the consistency; a hybrid lathering technique I suppose.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I bought a Becker scuttle about seven or eight years ago, but only used it for a year thereafter. Since then, I've been a face latherer, though I have occasionally experimented with bowl lathering. No plans to dust off the Becker, at least for now.

Top Bottom