What's new

Do you lather in a scuttle?

Do you make it a point to lather in your scuttle ?

• Yep!

Votes: 25 46.3%
  • Nope!

Votes: 29 53.7%

• Total voters
No. Not hot. Warm. Warm lather is devine. You don't need it in Florida. But up North it's so nice to have warm lather on a cold morning. But that is the extent of "warm" that I use in my shave. All of my rinses are cold. Ice cold if possible. I don't need to heat up towels in the microwave because I always shave after a hot shower.

We can't get really cold water down here most of the year . Sometimes even our cold water is lukewarm.

Genuinely cold water to rinse with would probably be a good thing. The water we have most of the year isn't going to stop bleeding, for instance.

I'm so used to the heat and cold blooded I just can't deal with shaving in the cold anymore, and I'm too cheap to run the heater much.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I got my hands on a Beautiful Georgetown Pottery scuttle after wanting one for years and just gave it a test run. I got a G12 which is large enough to whip later in, but the lather got very foamy for me when whipping up my shaving soap. I guess if the point of the scuttle is just to keep the brush warm, does anyone just face or palm lather , then drop the brush in? Or do you simply make it a point to drop it in the bowl? Is there an advantage as far as warmth if you lather in the bowl?

The very same scuttle I use - with great lather.

If you're getting foamy lather you're either using too much water or not enough soap (which is, I suppose, kind of the same thing).

When face lathering I have to keep the speed down (or end up with lather flying to places I don't particularly want lather), but with the scuttle you can whip as fast as you'd like - speeds up the process.

I use hot tap water and have absolutely no degradation of lather from heat, but some soaps/creams are more prone to breaking down if the water is too hot.

I bought the Crown King Travel Scuttle. It's plastic so it won't break. I use it only in the winter months. I use it to work up the lather just like I would if I was using a regular bowl. And the brush goes into the lather in the scuttle in between passes to keep it warm. If you are seeing a thin lather or one that dissipates quickly you may be using water that is too hot. Really not water will do that to lather. The idea is to make a nice warm lather, not a hot lather. Scuttles are nice but I often use ceramic bowls during the winter as well as they tend to keep the lather warm as well, although not quite as warm.
This could be the issue. I poured water from a kettle at 212 into the scuttle .

Now, if they only made an electric scuttle. Get the temp right and keep it right! I’ve been thinking of a hit lather machine, but much joy would be lost in not having a variety of soap and cream pleasures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now, if they only made an electric scuttle. Get the temp right and keep it right! I’ve been thinking of a hit lather machine, but much joy would be lost in not having a variety of soap and cream pleasures.

Scuttle or bowl on a candle warmer I hear works quite well.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

I know the problem with those is that they break or aren’t the most durable from what I hear .

Chafing dish, Bunsen burner, butane camp-stove, scented oil warmer...how 'bout just mount a microwave in the lavy?

Hot tap water in the sink with the bowl sitting in the water works nicely too.
Haven't you now just come full circle back to replicating the so-called "scuttle," of which you were so enamoured that you felt duty-bound to issue a proclamation to protect it?
By the way, for a proclamation to bear the force of compulsory law upon all in the realm, it must be issued by King-in-Council, i.e. by the King, with the "council" (consent) of his Privy Council.
And begging your pardon milord, but your proclamation is merely advisory as it was not issued with the assent of Privy Council.
And with utmost respect to Squire shave/brush, a proclamation is not a motion in Parliament, amenable to being seconded.
Upon further matters legal, saith the author nought.
Except to add: You can all of you drop the bleedin' happy dance now, because I duly declare your Proclamation to be null and void.
Cry havoc!...and let the assault on "scuttles" commence!

Last edited:
Do you mean like a lather king ? Or a cheap conair

I’m referring to candle warmers. They’re around 10USD apiece. Lather machines aren’t inexpensive and they limit you to the lathering soap available.

Hot tap water in the sink with the bowl sitting in the water works nicely too.

Ah, maybe for the first go around, but by pass two and three the bowl and lather are tepid at best. My tankless is set to 125° for warranty purposes and it doesn’t take long for it to cool down.

Haven't you now just come full circle back to replicating the so-called "scuttle," of which you were so enamoured that you felt duty-bound to issue a proclamation to protect it?
By the way, for a proclamation to bear the force of compulsory law upon all in the realm, it must be issued by King-in-Council, i.e. by the King, with the "council" (consent) of his Privy Council.
And begging your pardon milord, but your proclamation is merely advisory as it was not issued with the assent of Privy Council.
And with utmost respect to Squire shave/brush, a proclamation is not a motion in Parliament, amenable to being seconded.
Except to add: You can all of you drop the bleedin' happy dance now, because I duly declare your Proclamation to be null and void.

Thus spake Willy the Shake.

Ah, but thou hast spoken incorrectly. The great and powerful Lord Farquad has approved and authorized the issuance of the aforementioned proclamation and it is valid and binding upon all the lands. And while a bowl in a sink certainly doth not a scuttle make, it can serve a similar function for those who are less inclined to spend their entire life's fortune on a proper scuttle. Fear not all you scuttle brethren for your scuttles are safe from the marauding heathens who wish to wreak havoc on the peaceful conveniences of those seeking a proper shave. Thou hast spoken. And so it is written. On whatever it is that they write it on up there.

Top Bottom