What's new

Do you know who these famous pipe smokers are?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
They are all listed alphabetically by last name, some are easy, some not so much.

Famous.jpg

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I think I got 47 right. Great post, Phil. I didn't know Tom Selleck was a pipe smoker. Rest in peace, Roger E. Mosley, by the way.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
I know some but not all. I think the one that surprised/intrigued me most was the Schwarzenegger image. I knew he was/is an avid cigar smoker. Didn't realize he might be an avid pipe smoker as well.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I know some but not all. I think the one that surprised/intrigued me most was the Schwarzenegger image. I knew he was/is an avid cigar smoker. Didn't realize he might be an avid pipe smoker as well.
A fan created a pipe based on his terminator character, and Arnold was so impressed that he contacted the guy and bought the pipe from him.

fan-carved-pipe-for-arnold-schwarzenegger-birthday-fb23-png__700.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The names in case you give up!

Harry Belafonte
Alexander Graham Bell
Humphrey Bogart
Charles Bronson
Pierce Brosnan
Nigel Bruce
Yul Brynner
Sean Connery
William Conrad
Gary Cooper
Lou Costello
Jaques Cousteau
Walter Cronkite
Hume Cronyn
Bing Crosby
Bobby Daren
Sammy Davis Jr
Albert Einstein
Norman Fell
W.C. Fields
Gerald Ford
Clark Gable
Cary Grant
Richard Harris
Hugh Hefner
Moe Howard
Michael Jordan
Boris Karloff
Danny Kaye
Christopher Lee
C.S. Lewis
Douglas Macarthur
Fred Macmurray
Groucho Marx
Burgess Meredith
Thelonious Monk
Ricardo Montalban
Roger Moore
Leonard Nimoy
Lawrence Olivier
Robert Oppenheimer
Jack Palance
George Patton
Gregory Peck
Elvis Presley
Vincent Price
Chesty Puller
Basil Rathbone
Ronald Reagan
Edward G. Robinson
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Dan Rowan
Babe Ruth
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Tom Selleck
Peter Sellers
Frank Sinatra
Laarry Storch
J.R.R. Tolkien
Mark Twain
Lee Van Cleef
Orson Wells
Fred Willard
Robert Young

Last edited:
I missed a few, though I knew Cronyn and Fell, who are probably kind of obscure now. No. 9 should be "William," though.

My question: were all these guys, and all the other famous folks we see with pipes in old photos, serious pipe smokers or were they holding a pipe for affect? Obviously, most in the original post were serious, but were they all? Seems I remember reading somewhere that Macarthur used the big corn cob mostly as a prop. I don't know if he smoked a pipe otherwise.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My question: were all these guys, and all the other famous folks we see with pipes in old photos, serious pipe smokers or were they holding a pipe for affect? Obviously, most in the original post were serious, but were they all? Seems I remember reading somewhere that Macarthur used the big corn cob mostly as a prop. I don't know if he smoked a pipe otherwise.
MacArthur had briar pipes and did smoke them. He was a tobacco fiend and smoked cigarettes, cigars and pipes.
The corn cob was made to his exact specifications by Missouri Meerschaum, and was really only used in public, so yeah - pretty much a prop, though he did actually smoke it.
Some of the others, there are photos with smoke, and with them sitting with other pipes nearby, so I feel confident most actually did.
A few, who can say. Maybe it was a prop, maybe they only smoked infrequently, maybe they tried it then gave it up. Hard to be sure.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I didn't keep count, because I suddenly got dumber than a box of rocks. There were a number of faces I recognized, I knew where I recognized them from, and I knew that I knew their name, but I still came up blank. It took me five minutes to remember Gregory Peck. I could hear him yelling at David Niven in The Guns of Navarone: "You're in it now, up to your neck!" But no name.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I didn't keep count, because I suddenly got dumber than a box of rocks. There were a number of faces I recognized, I knew where I recognized them from, and I knew that I knew their name, but I still came up blank. It took me five minutes to remember Gregory Peck. I could hear him yelling at David Niven in The Guns of Navarone: "You're in it now, up to your neck!" But no name.
Half the time when I mention an actor to my wife it goes:
"He was that guy that was in the movie with that guy from Happy Days".
Then I have to look up Happy Days cast to find Ron Howard, and see what movies he was in, then look up that movie I remembered, then look up the cast of that movie.
As soon as I open that cast page, his name comes to me!

I missed about 8 of the 64. Bell, Oppenheimer, Jordan, Monk, and Puller; and I completely failed to recognize Storch, Sellers (for some reason I thought he was Neil Simon!), and Willard (who looks here like Roger Moore's brother!).

Top Bottom