Anyone know this SE razor?

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

SNE-LX1 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

Can i use it with GEM blades?

SNE-LX1 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

I think so, but my go to expert is @Flintstone65 who has a sizable collection of these beauties. He should respond soon with what he uses and his experience honing the wedge blades.

Congratulations BTW. These usually sell for $100 or more. Please go to our Micromatic Monday thread since GEM aficionados hang out there. Micromatic Monday

Can 't make out the script, but it's referred to as a "lather catcher" and those are wedge blades that can be honed.

The script says "American Model". All the Googles told me is that it is probably an unauthorized copy of the Star/Kampfe safety razor made in the 19th century. If the tin were in better shape it might be easier to get a fix on exactly what it is. Either way, definitely an early and very neat piece of history.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
The poster sent me a PM asking about this one -- here's my response....in case someone wants to add to it or correct it. My info came from Waits' Compendium (and some independent research I've done on this model).

Hi -- this SE is known as the American Model. It is based off the Kampfe Bros lather catcher and basically it was marketed in Europe (in Germany by a company called Kabeso, and in France by a company called Auguste Bain) -- I can't read much off the tin, but it may give you a clue as to which country this originally came from.

Basically, the Kampfe Bros razors were so popular that people were copying them in other countries and generally referring to them as the "American Model". The time frame is most likely around early 1900s (1895 to 1905). Very nice razor....congrats!!!

A modern Gem will fit in these old lather catcher but the modern blade will sit at an unintended angle resulting often in a harsh shave. You can download for free a file compiled by the good @riverrun that will enable you to print a plastic or resin 3D wedge shim (you should have a 3D print shop nearby otherwise you can order it online on many dedicated sites).
3DWedge.png

razors.click - Make your own wedge blade

A modern Gem will fit in these old lather catcher but the modern blade will sit at an unintended angle resulting often in a harsh shave. You can download for free a file compiled by the good @riverrun that will enable you to print a plastic or resin 3D wedge shim (you should have a 3D print shop nearby otherwise you can order it online on many dedicated sites).
View attachment 982529
Wow, good to know. Thanks for posting.

The poster sent me a PM asking about this one -- here's my response....in case someone wants to add to it or correct it. My info came from Waits' Compendium (and some independent research I've done on this model).

Hi -- this SE is known as the American Model. It is based off the Kampfe Bros lather catcher and basically it was marketed in Europe (in Germany by a company called Kabeso, and in France by a company called Auguste Bain) -- I can't read much off the tin, but it may give you a clue as to which country this originally came from.

Basically, the Kampfe Bros razors were so popular that people were copying them in other countries and generally referring to them as the "American Model". The time frame is most likely around early 1900s (1895 to 1905). Very nice razor....congrats!!!

Thank you sir. :)

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
View attachment 982529
I thought I'd add a few more comments on this:

1. You can also find the resin/plastic shims for sale on Etsy -- search "wedge razor" and you'll see them come up -- I have to say that I haven't played around with these very much, but my limited experience hasn't been as enjoyable as just being able to use a modern blade. If you have the blade stops, I'd try modern first and see how you like the shave. As for the shave, it is different with a wedge versus a modern, but I wouldn't really describe it as harsh -- but I do prefer a lot of blade feel.

2. From the one pic with the wedge loaded, I would venture to say that at least one of the wedges is too short -- it's too far from the guard. If you decide to use a wedge (and I think that's a great idea), I recommend you place it in the razor first to determine if there's enough blade left to produce a shave. You will have to hone it before you can shave with it, and that is a fair amount of work. Believe me, I've sharpened several wedges and by the time I level the edge and put the bevel on, I'm sometimes left with a wedge that's barely long enough to cut. YMMV, especially if you're a skilled at restoring straights.

Just my two-cents.

Top Bottom